The Cable Burn In Thread

Got some cables recently and observed the following:

Old cables also need to "burn in" albeit not as long as new ones. I read some mentioned that cables not used for a long time needs to be burned in or warmed up again. Perhaps that's why?

New cables can sound better after a while and sound worse later on, before it is fully burned in.

Pardon my inexperience, have been into music too long and forgotten a lot about hifi ;D

Please share your tips.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dielectric materials can store charge sort of the way like capacitors

That meanz can also lose charge after period of no current activity

While cable is "active" with current coursing through, the dielectric material can further retain extra static charge introduced by contact with human bodies. Sometimes if found imaging skewed to one side, could be due to human contact. And if want to compare cables dun plug and unplug.

Since the dielectric can determine sound so much, other materials touching its surface can affect the sound of the cable (fabrics are particularly vile sounding)

Yes. Cables need to burn in. My Nordost powercords (new) took 3-4 weeks for the sound signature to settle in. On certain days, the soundstage collapsed and some it expand so wide.

Hear it to believe it. =)

My personal experience - Run in for sometime (e.g. 24 hours), then off it to let it rest (e.g. a few hours). Then on again.

It seems to burn in a little bit faster compared to just letting it run 24/7.

Hi all,

Just to check, if cable burn-in service is provided, what would be an acceptable fee for you all?

Let's say charged by the hour of burn-in duration.

Thank you.

Offer the service out with a price and see who engages you.

Hi all,

Just to check, if cable burn-in service is provided, what would be an acceptable fee for you all?

Let's say charged by the hour of burn-in duration.

Thank you.

This Netherland shop charges €30 to burn in for 48hrs for a set (pair?) of cable. Cheaper would be good ;D

http://www.simplyaudio.nl/cable-burn-in-service/

Guest AndrewC

Cheaper option?

R-5988794-1488484175-3931.jpeg.jpg

...ownself burn ownself... ;D

+1

(Not to spoil anyone’s rice-bowl or anything, but...) getting a 3rd party to do cable burn-in is pretty silly if you think about the basis of the dielectric absorption effect… it’s measured in minutes, so the burn-in effect can disappear in minutes once the cable is disconnected. I’m sure many here on XP have experienced it themselves when touching our disconnecting/re-connecting cables.

DAR.jpg

Bottom line, use your own system to burn-in your own cable :)