New, cheap Emotiva 5-ch amp

Just a heads up for those considering separates but with avr money;

The new UPA-500 offers 5 x 80watts (8-ohms all channels driven) and is 4-ohm stable (120 watts all channels driven) - costs -$399 + delivery.

http://shop.emotiva....products/upa500

Seems like a bargain when coupled with the UMC-1 at $499.

http://shop.emotiva....e/products/umc1

Getting both is under the $1k import duty threshold and (for the money) would be pretty much untouchable SQ-wise...

Also lands you with 40% processor discount card, which saves you $600 on the upcoming XMC-1.

Edited by Vitruvian

I really dont get this amp. looking at pics of the innards it really just looks like the amp stage out of an avr. infact many avrs are going to have gruntier power stages. and buy the processor and amp together landed and your looking at mid range avrs with better power stages !.

trying to keep it compact maybe, building it to a price ?. but ended up with a small power supply and internal heatsinks that are maybe not big enough it needs fans ? :o

maybe an upgrade for those with bottom range avrs. but I'd say spend the money and buy a gruntier avr and gain better processing, eq, 2ch and analog and other features as a side benefit :)

[quote name=:) al' timestamp='1338112243' post='709984]

I really dont get this amp. looking at pics of the innards it really just looks like the amp stage out of an avr. infact many avrs are going to have gruntier power stages. and buy the processor and amp together landed and your looking at mid range avrs with better power stages !.

trying to keep it compact maybe, building it to a price ?. but ended up with a small power supply and internal heatsinks that are maybe not big enough it needs fans ? :o

maybe an upgrade for those with bottom range avrs. but I'd say spend the money and buy a gruntier avr and gain better processing, eq, 2ch and analog and other features as a side benefit :)

I agree Al, the transformer and secondary capacitance seems to be on the low side with Emotiva's multichn amps. The Stereo amps seem fairly well specified and I would love to hear a pair of XPA1'S driving the Gales.

Hi guys, for my own education what are you specifically looking at in the specs and pics to assess an amp's capabilities?

I seem to have no idea! I know its not that simple but 5x80W looked pretty good.

hi AG please dont read my post as bagging or anything, just confused at what trying to achieve. I tend to look at power supply, heatsinking general layout, ozcal looking at capacitance and power supply as well. I was just confused as the innard of it look just like what get in an avr. So didnt really get what theyre trying to do. but as vitruvian has indicated its aimed at partner for the processor or a potential upgrade for low to mid range avrs.

If anyone in W.A. wants to borrow one to try, I don't mind lending mine out. UPA-500.

I have a UPA-2 doing the front speakers, so can do without the others for short periods.

That is a very generous offer.

Out of interest; how does it sound? Are you happy? and finally, what did you use it replace?

I first replace a XPA-5 with a UPA-5. Thought I prefered the UPA-5 as it seemed a little more refined. More open, natural.

I am now getting ready for the XMC-1 and need to make some room in my hifi rack for it.

Thought the UPA-500 would fit nicely. So now sold the UPA-5.

I have setup the UPA-2 to run my front speakers and the UPA-500 to run the center and surrounds.

I did try the UPA-500 running just the front and thought it was very powerful.

When I get some time I will swap between the UPA-2 and UPA-500 to see how they compare. I think it will be very close.

What speakers are you having the UPA-500 drive?

I took delivery of some of the last UPA-1s last week. They are amazingly refined for the price. I tried them in my main system driving my S8s - quite a big speaker. They performed better than I expected; smooth top end. Not able to exert the authority over the bass, less emotion and a little less detail than my Bel Canto monos, but they are literally 1/10th the price - $400 delivered.

I actually intend on using them with my S2 standmounts - so they should have plenty of ooomph and control for a two-way. I also need to take to them to Decky for some upgrades.

This year I have an XSP and XMC on the cards, and after that performance now a pair of XPA monos are on now on the cards.

Edited by Vitruvian

At the moment I have some 3way adelaide speakers with Scanspeak drivers and ribbon tweeter. 91db.

Also some BE-718's. I will have to try them before moving them on.

I think the Emotiva products are quite amazing value for your money.

Edited by rocky500