Official thread on SVS AS-EQ1

I did 3 separate calibrations and this time I got the 'ooomph' back at the final calibration.

There were 2 essential changes. Firstly, I did more than my usual 8 mic positions...I did 12 for this setup. The other difference which may have contributed to the better effect was that I checked for phase for my 3 non-co-located subs. I measured the SPL level for my 2 front subs with 1 switched on and then both switched on. SPL meter should register an increase of SPL with every sub switched on. When I turned on my rear sub, there was actually a decrease in SPL by about 4dB!

So following SVS Ed Mullen's advice, I tweaked the rear sub's phase till I got max SPL on the meter. After that, I calibrated AS-EQ1 as per the manual and wallah.....nice oomph bass :)

I do find it strange as I thought the AS-EQ1 would take care of phase incoherance for me....and guess what, the AS-EQ1 instructed me to put +8.5 on my AVR! According to Ed Mullen, there must have been a huge dip or spike in certain freq requiring AS-EQ1 to cut out/boost up and needing the whole spectrum to be raised to compensate..... and my gain dials on my svs subs are still at the old lowly 8 o'clock positions :)

So which difference accounted for the improvement? I can't tell....must get everything as correct as possible I suppose :)

That's a good find bro! Like I said experimentation is the way to go. At least from a multiple subwoofer user's POV, there's some technique in getting the desired bass right...

I have a couple of questions...maybe someone can answer easily...

I don't have the EQ1 but I am just wondering when you get the first graph is that done without any multiple placements for the mic? i.e. one listening position or do you have to go through a whole bunch of them.

If I borrowed an EQ1 from a bro can this first graph be done multiple times to find the better or worse placement of the sub before final tuning? and without trashing the existing settings?

Can you save and reload a final setting - in case if during trying the setups/sub moves the better setting is lost, it can be recovered or reloaded back to the EQ? And can multiple settings be saved?

Any ideas on how many band pass filters here are in the EQ1? and what the frequency breaks are?

Hi wizardofoz, I'm no expert here...but will try to answer your queries with my limited knowledge on AS-EQ1 :)

I don't have the EQ1 but I am just wondering when you get the first graph is that done without any multiple placements for the mic? i.e. one listening position or do you have to go through a whole bunch of them.

Ans: A minimum of 3 measurements will be required and that translates to 3 placement with slight variation in height and distance from the sweet spot. For the first time, you will be asked to re-calibrate the speaker array for by using the REW of your existing AVR before proceeding to measure the subwoofer level measurement. And yes, afterwhich the BEFORE and AFTER graph will appear for so-called more meaningful comparison.

If I borrowed an EQ1 from a bro can this first graph be done multiple times to find the better or worse placement of the sub before final tuning? and without trashing the existing settings?

Ans: You can try as many times as you want as long as you dun save the settings by 'transferring it to the AS-EQ1' - that's he beauty of it! But that will be extremely tedious for anyone to do that considering that the subwoofer maybe quite heavy to move around. Besides if you got space constrain, it serves little purpose. Best location to start with is at the corner of the wall (be it right or left). If your room suffers serious dip or boost at certain frequency range, the AS_EQ1 will try to help you out by leveling the response (i.e. flat)...it will create a mirror image and then take the median points to create the multiple points on the frequency bars to get a smooth flat curve. For more details, please take a look at the graphical explanation from Audyssey Lab's official site on SubEQ: http://www.audyssey.com/technology/graphs/graph1.html

Can you save and reload a final setting - in case if during trying the setups/sub moves the better setting is lost, it can be recovered or reloaded back to the EQ? And can multiple settings be saved?

Ans: Unfortunately the 'beauty' I mentioned above is also a drawback for all the users here...there is no memory setting for any preset. Perhaps Audyssey do not see the need in it. At any one time, you can only save one final setting to the device. As long as you do not 'transfer' the setting to the AS-EQ1, the previous setting will remain in effect until you click on the transfer the setting to AS-EQ1 button on the SubEQ GUI. Hence in that sense, you can't reload any previous settings :(

Any ideas on how many band pass filters here are in the EQ1? and what the frequency breaks are?

Ans: There's no mention of how many high/low band pass filters been used, unlike those Parametric EQ (or PEQ-based Equalizer like Behringer Feedback Destroyer) which mentioned how many bands been engaged and so we can customize it...AS-EQ1 doesn't give us that 'freedom' to play with it. From  the manual, it states that AS-EQ1 utilize the FIR as opposed to IIR based DSP to achieve higher accuracy and faster computing means to ascertain the optimum setting for the subwoofer. They called it the ALFC (Adaptive Low Frequency Correction) technology to correct the time domain correction (i.e. distance and volume trimming on the subwoofer using AVR) to ensure that the whole speaker array will reach the sweet spot in one coherent beat (i.e. no time decay which is one of the causes for muddle sound in some of the poorly designed room)

Hoped that answer your queries.

;)

Thanks Desray... I think that covers it.

I am thinking of perhaps building a DIY 8 band constant Q EQ using 20,25,31,40,50,63,80,100,125hz until I can afford to have something more exotic like the EQ1, but maybe can try to measure my room to see where the peaks and troughs are and fine tune the DIY EQ. An SPL meter and a sweep generator I guess will still be perhaps the best if I cant find an EQ1 to play with for a few days.

Thanks Desray..... will try this out soon.... :)

To Kmolth,

My advice to you after reading through the manual one more time...is to use one Mic placement and follow the steps delineated in my guide or the official SVS AS-EQ1 guide. After you have performed the calibration and get the desired setting for your subwoofer, then proceed to use 4 Mic placements to ensure optimum reading been attained for the 5.1/7.1 speakers - making sure that the SPL reads 75db +/-3 db.

The important thing here is to take note of the distance (ft/m) and Volume Trim Value settings after the calibration and dial the values into the AVR. Regardless of whether the AVR tells you a different value for the subwoofer after you performed a 4 Mic placement using Lexicon's very own calibration algorithms. Its the value of the AS-EQ1 that matters for your SUBWOOFER (LFE channel).

BTW make sure you connect either a CENTER input or FRONT LEFT input to the SAT Input.

hi,

how does the CENTER input or FRONT LEFT input to the SAT Input affect the readings?

cos after my calibration and the results show that SAT channel was not detected?

i also use the EQ -1 to measure the dB of every channel on the AVR and trim the readings according to reach +- 75 dB, is it correct?

btw, i am using onkyo 876.

??? ??? ???

• 3 weeks later...

any advice?????/ ??? ???

hi,

how does the CENTER input or FRONT LEFT input to the SAT Input affect the readings?

cos after my calibration and the results show that SAT channel was not detected?

i also use the EQ -1 to measure the dB of every channel on the AVR and trim the readings according to reach +- 75 dB, is it correct?

btw, i am using onkyo 876.

??? ??? ???

I'm glad that it helped you :)

I have been trying to calibrate my HT using your guide but till now still not successful. I give up. :-[ Are you able to help me setting up my HT properly? I am still unable to experience the full potential of my PC Ultra 13. If you are unable to help me, any bass gurus out there who is willing to help me. I am really desperate. :-[

I think I got stuck at Part 2D.

I have solved the cable connection part 1 and part 2. Quite easy. :)

but I need clarification on few issues such as:

1) Using Onkyo 875, I was unable to find the instruction in the menu to change all speaker setting to "small"

2) Which listening mode to choose before starting the calibration process? Pure audio?, Direct?. How to get everything "natural"?

2) Part 2A - Intergrating the AS-EQ1 with your AVR - Performing  normal calibration using test tone from AVR.

a) Is it sufficient to get reading from one listening position only or from multiple listening positions?

b) Do I have to turn the master volume to 0.0db?

c) Remove the AVR calibration mic as well as the mono-phono jack once the calibration prosess is done?

3) Part 2C - Level matching

a) Reconnect the calibration mic to the "Cal Mic" input jack located at front panel of AS-EQ1?

b) Do I have to reconnect the mono-phono again?

b) Do I have to turn the master volume to 0.0db again?

c) Do I have to get reading from one listening position only or from multiple listening positions?

4) Once done to clear up all the messy cables and PC connection. Am I correct to say that only subwoofer cable remains to be connected to the Sub A output of the AS EQ1?

I have solved the cable connection part 1 and part 2. Quite easy. :)

but I need clarification on few issues such as:

- Wow that's quite a handful of queries you've got there, I guess we'll deal with it one at a time...

1) Using Onkyo 875, I was unable to find the instruction in the menu to change all speaker setting to "small"

- I can't help you on this but I believe its under the speaker setting that you need to look at - not the Auto EQ portion but look out for any Manual EQ which allows you to change each individual settings...I used to own Onkyo 805 AVR but for a short period of time and I can't recall the settings as well. But I believed it can be done as this is a simple function that exist for most conventional AVR.

2) Which listening mode to choose before starting the calibration process? Pure audio?, Direct?. How to get everything "natural"?

- You can't choose PURE or DIRECT mode here...it will output 2 channel audio which we dun want in this case. When you mentioned natural - I'm assuming you're talking about 'neutrality' of the sound - meaning ensure that there's no DSP engaged that might 'color' the sound which may result in inaccuracy of the reading. Fret not, in this case, just ensure that you select a standard setting such as Dolby Digital Surround or even Pro Logix IIx etc - ensure that multi-channel mode is engaged.

- Remember that the connection for Mic IN and Mic Out is to let the AVR take over the speaker calibration using the AVR's proprietary EQ algorithm which in this case may be Audyssey Multi XT or Yamaha's YPAO etc...

Note: Please ensure that you have connected the supplied USB cable from the AS-EQ1 to yyour laptop/desktop at this point. Ensure that AutoEQ Assist is set to 'ON' so as to enable the 'by-pass' to allow the speaker calibration to be taken over by the AVR.

2) Part 2A - Intergrating the AS-EQ1 with your AVR - Performing  normal calibration using test tone from AVR.

a) Is it sufficient to get reading from one listening position only or from multiple listening positions?

- Its up to you...more position been tested will most probably result in greater accuracy for your speakers - take note it does not have any effect to the subwoofer at this point in time...Heck you can even retain your old calibration settings if you want...remember the objective is to let the LFE signal to be handled by the AS-EQ1 and not your AVR. Make sense? For me, Yamaha YPAO only requires one listening position - so its quite clear cut.

b) Do I have to turn the master volume to 0.0db?

- By default, when the test tone is engaged, the reference volume will be automatically set to 0.0db (you can confirm by checking the VFD screen of your AVR). You can manually dial the volume knob to 0.0db to be certain.

c) Remove the AVR calibration mic as well as the mono-phono jack once the calibration process is done?

- Yes, you can remove both after the speaker calibration is done.

3) Part 2C - Level matching

a) Reconnect the calibration mic to the "Cal Mic" input jack located at front panel of AS-EQ1?

- Not re-connect but connect (for the first time) the Audyssey Mic supplied by the SVS. Do not be confused.

b) Do I have to reconnect the mono-phono again?

- No need.

c) Do I have to turn the master volume to 0.0db again?

- Yes, ensure that its at reference level.

d) Do I have to get reading from one listening position only or from multiple listening positions?

- If you read my guide, I already mentioned minimally 3 positions for it to calculate the filters.

4) Once done to clear up all the messy cables and PC connection. Am I correct to say that only subwoofer cable remains to be connected to the Sub A output of the AS EQ1?

- Yes! :)

Hoped the above clarify your understanding :)

Thanks for the clarification. I will try to recalibrate my HT system and hopefully managed to get it right this time.

Spend about 2 hours today to calibrate my HT. I followed your set up guide but encountered problem at Part 2E. At channel 3, satellite, I got his message "Warning, no speaker was detected on this output channel. Do you wish to cancel measurement for this position so you can correct this error" I selected no and proceeded with the measurement of the subwoofer. Do I make a serious mistake here? ???

Spend about 2 hours today to calibrate my HT. I followed your set up guide but encountered problem at Part 2E. At channel 3, satellite, I got his message "Warning, no speaker was detected on this output channel. Do you wish to cancel measurement for this position so you can correct this error" I selected no and proceeded with the measurement of the subwoofer. Do I make a serious mistake here? ???

Part 2E? Under detection results? The error shouldn't appear in this step if you have no problem in Part 2C and 2D...Besides I never encounter such a problem before. Can you confirm again that its Part 2E that you receive such as 'error msg'?

can any1 record down the proceedings cos its working hrs and i guess alot of bros will be unable to attend?

i am unfortunately to be one of those.

:'(

Ron, the man will be available on the 7th Oct at KEC to show us how to do setting up with your AS1EQ.  Timing will be around 12pm to 1pm and 6pm to 7pm. 

Wow Ron is in Singapore (yet again)?! Bro samglamour49 MUST ATTEND!!! Its a golden opportunity for you to learn from da man himself!

If I can make it on that day during lunch time...I will try to drop by and confirm what we have had done so far is correct :)

Wow Ron is in Singapore (yet again)?! Bro samglamour49 MUST ATTEND!!! Its a golden opportunity for you to learn from da man himself!

If I can make it on that day during lunch time...I will try to drop by and confirm what we have had done so far is correct :)

Thanks for the infomation. I will try to attend :P :P