Blu Ray Discs Bargains thread - please list them as you find them

• Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings from Amazon.co.uk,

We've noticed that customers who have purchased or rated The Incredible Hulk [blu-ray] [2008] have also purchased Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (3-Disc) with Bonus Digital Copy [blu-ray] [2009] on Blu-ray. For this reason, you might like to know that Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (3-Disc) with Bonus Digital Copy [blu-ray] [2009] will be released on 30 November 2009. You can pre-order yours for just £17.59 by following the link below.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (3-Disc) with Bonus Digital Copy [blu-ray] [2009]

Shia LaBeouf

Price: £17.59

Release Date: 30 November 2009

Amazon.co.uk Review

Pure. Popcorn. Entertainment. That's an exact classification of director Michael Bay's Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. The action is nonstop, with battles and explosions from start to finish. The camera (without any subtlety) exploits Megan Fox's hotness to the max. As if she weren't enough, a new sex kitten (Isabel Lucas) is thrown into the equation. Shia LaBeouf is as charismatic as ever, and fills the starring role with ease. And then there's the humour. Sam's parents (Kevin Dunn and Julie White)provided some semi-raunchy laugh-out-loud moments in the first movie, but now they take it to the next level. Sometimes it seems like they are trying a little too hard, but it is still hilarious.

As far as the ... Read more

anyone want to order me a copy?

i will send cash :)

i'm not in the mood to hassle the Hubby :(

Hey mcduck, at that price, plus shipping, plus on-shipping to you you'd be looking at about $40 aus. Not sure of local release date but I'm sure it would be available here for cheaper than that

true :rolleyes:

and no more spending for me for a very long time :(

$8,000 i've spent since last friday night, with more still going out and still no guarantees :(

some things are just worth trying ^_^

totally off topic, but wish my fuzzball well guys :wub:

mycenius;99657 wrote:
BSG Blu-ray box is listed as £114.88 on Amazon UK website but when I did checkout it discounted to just £99.90 plus postage - so total cost is £103.48 ordered on its own with nothing else.

Just out of curiosity - did anyone actually buy the BSG Complete Series tin locally? Curious about any feed back as reviews tend to suggest this is another near reference quality release, with video PQ rating 8 or 9 out of 10 and Audio typically 8 out of 10, and the movie/story quality being of course typically 10 (or at worst 9) out of 10. Apparantly the extras on it are very impressive too (something I'm usually not that bothered about).

clevedon;101248 wrote:
Of course you are all probably going to give me heaps now for buying “
The Queen
”! :eek:

Sorry, but I had to say - WTF?

;);) Actually not a bad movie mate - I quite enjoyed watching it on a rainy Sunday afternoon - and some of the scenes are very good (much better than many BD releases), the detail inside the 'palace' and the outdoors scenes at 'Balmoral Castle' both spring to mind. As in the reviews at various sites the audio is a bit understated and very front focussed (i.e. vocals) but overall an enjoyable story and some good PQ - and for those of us over 25 or so a nostalgic(?) memento/reminder of a moment in history (i.e. Diana's death)... :)

Adam;101406 wrote:
Braveheart
is a Paramount release here in New Zealand, so is probably stuck in distributor limbo until that whole mess is sorted out. Gladiator is handled by Universal here, so we should be getting a release fairly soon.

Not sure if it's Region Free with the US release; but Amazon UK have it down for 02 November - so not too far away...

P.S. Just finished watching Pushing Daisies - Season One over the last week - great PQ, love the really vibrant colours and stuff - great story (if you like off-beat comedies) and I reckon Kristin Chenoweth steals many of the scenes as the character 'Olive' has many of the best lines or events! Starting on Season Two shortly... I got mine from Amazon US but noticed S1 is available locally and price isn't too bad compared to US (I think it's about $55 or $65 a season here - vs. US$59 + postage for S1 & S2 combined).

Does anyone know what Soundtrack Apocalypto has in the UK? The US edition released with a LPCM track but is not Region Free (although Blu-ray.com says it is but is probalby going off the incorrect cover sleeve); while the local NZ/AU edition has only a DD 5.1 track? I'm assuming the worst and the UK edition is the latter as well? Amazon UK have it for £5.98 at present.

I know the story is crap but I'm on a drive to get a few good PQ & AQ reference quality titles in my collection and this certainly seems to be one by the reviews...

Also FWIW I just noticed Beowulf & Grendel is super cheap from Amazon UK at present (£4.98) - This is a pretty good movie (barring the ending) and the story and characters are generally very good. This is IMO a superior movie/story to the CGI 'Beowulf' for example (although the latter is superior overall for PQ & AQ on Blu-ray) and again IMO greatly underrated. The PQ is pretty average unfortunately (I'd consider it comparable to a DVD - although 1 or 2 reviewers were harsher but I found it quite watchable due to the story quality) however the SQ (LPCM) is very good and I reccommend it - at that price you can't go wrong anyway - and its only real suffering is probably a low budget for production. It's also a very refreshing semi-historical take on the famous Beowulf poem/saga (again at least until the final scene/s)...

mycenius;101657 wrote:
Does anyone know what Soundtrack
Apocalypto
has in the UK? The US edition released with a LPCM track but is not Region Free (although Blu-ray.com says it is but is probalby going off the incorrect cover sleeve); while the local NZ/AU edition has only a DD 5.1 track? I'm assuming the worst and the UK edition is the latter as well? Amazon UK have it for £5.98 at present.

I know the story is crap but I'm on a drive to get a few good PQ & AQ reference quality titles in my collection and this certainly seems to be one by the reviews...

The local AU/NZ release of Apocalypto comes with a really good PCM 5.1 soundtrack! Picture quality is very good also.

mycenius;101657 wrote:
Apocalypto
has in the UK? The US edition released with a LPCM track but is not Region Free (although Blu-ray.com says it is but is probalby going off the incorrect cover sleeve); while the local NZ/AU edition has only a DD 5.1 track? I'm assuming the worst and the UK edition is the latter as well? Amazon UK have it for £5.98 at present.

I have the US Apocalypto and its definitely region free and comes with Uncompressed Mayan 5.1. I quite enjoyed this movie hence purchasing it a few years ago.

Mark X;101664 wrote:
The local AU/NZ release of Apocalypto comes with a really good PCM 5.1 soundtrack! Picture quality is very good also.

Hhmmm, I've looked at it both in JB's & TWL in the last couple of weeks (as it's priced under $20) and in both cases the case is clearly marked DD 5.1 only under the soundtrack detail... Hence I've steered clear (especially with my Departed experience a week or so ago)...

ARIKIP;101665 wrote:
I have the US Apocalypto and its definitely region free and comes with Uncompressed Mayan 5.1. I quite enjoyed this movie hence purchasing it a few years ago.

Okay - that certainly contradicts both Blu-ray Lies and Blu-ray Stats websites (the former notes it as being marked all regions - ABC - on the case but that the disc is actually region A locked). Blu-ray.com as I mentioned does however agree it's Region Free (in it's May 2007 review) - I wonder if there has been a new edition, especially if you got yours back in 2007 when it first came out Arkip, and the new one now has a locked disc but uses the same older case sleeve?

mycenius;101670 wrote:

Okay - that certainly contradicts both Blu-ray Lies and Blu-ray Stats websites (the former notes it as being marked all regions - ABC - on the case but that the disc is actually region A locked). Blu-ray.com as I mentioned does however agree it's Region Free (in it's May 2007 review) - I wonder if there has been a new edition, especially if you got yours back in 2007 when it first came out Arkip, and the new one now has a locked disc but uses the same older case sleeve?

Yeah,i got it when i first had my PS3 around mid 2007..only because it was region free. I have just checked the Ausdtv forums where they keep a list on titles and whether they are region free and found this little message "It has been reported that new pressings are region locked, however I am yet to hear of a confirmed instance of this"...so hmmmm,might be the case?.

mycenius;101657 wrote:
Apocalypto

When I got mine in Ireland (same as the UK release) it had a 5.1 PCM audio track.

Arkip & JF - thanks for responses. Based on JF's comment I think I'll take a punt on the UK edition (or go to JB/TWL and get them to put the disc in a machine and check what audio is actually physically on the local disc)...

Arkip - what's the link to the AusDTV page with the listings please mate? Can't recall seeing that...?