Blu Ray Discs Bargains thread - please list them as you find them

I bought 3 BDs from JB today because I was a sucker! I really only wanted Nightmare Before Christmas, but ended up getting with it Hellboy 2 and I, Robot. I would've preferred Baraka (not out yet but on the Online store as part of the bundle).

Anyway, the irony is it's probably gonna sit on the shelf for a few weeks before I would even see them again.

Might have another look at the online store. Incidentally, Hellboy 2 is not on the list there. Hope it's a good movie. :D

• Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam;85406 wrote:
I picked up Serenity, Pitch Black, Chronicles of Riddick and the Bourne Trilogy. Prices for the first three were $32.99 and the Bourne Trilogy was $79.99. With the 20% discount voucher the Bourne Trilogy was just under $64. I saw it at Whitcoulls last night for $99.99.

I also noticed that TWL had repriced many of its Paramount titles (Shooter $22 down from $44 etc.)

I picked up the exact same movies as you did Adam for the same prices. Very good deal with 20% off.

I was tempted by the Bourne Trilogy also but it just didn't excite me enough. They (Manukau TWL) also had Firefly at around $89 less 20% (so $70) which would have also been a good buy but I had got a copy for $80 from JBs 6-8 weeks ago...

Went over to JB-HiFi southland, ended up grabbing The Aviator, Black Hawk Down and edward Scissors for about $60 total which i was pretty happy about. They had many movies stickered there and pretty large selection, unfortunately some of the movies i went with the intention of picking up where nowhere to be seen. (There Will Be Blood, iRobot and Baraka though i just read up that it wasn't out yet which would explain that one.)

I beg to differ ... RE:Degeneration is pretty much everywhere on BD

JB HI FI Resident Evil BD search!

Thas not res evil 4 mate. Thats nothing more than a glorfied video game cut scene. Thats like calling Scorpian king the mummy 4

Anderson is currently working on Resident Evil 4. Supposedly due next year.

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/category/re...l-4-2009-movie/

There Will Be Blood is part of the JB B2G1F sale.

Can anyone confirm that the Australian release is Region Free?

The UK release is apparently region locked, but according to lies.bluray (whatever) it says the AU version is region free.

Please help!

Thas not res evil 4 mate. Thats nothing more than a glorfied video game cut scene. Thats like calling Scorpian king the mummy 4

Anderson is currently working on Resident Evil 4. Supposedly due next year.

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/category/re...l-4-2009-movie/

SO happy to hear about this! I thought, with the ending on no. 3, that if they didn't make another one, it would be ridiculous - finally, it appears they've realised that! lol.

see this I don't understand... why do they even bother with these "sales" if they're only willing to put up a handful of SHITE movies? SO annoying!! <_<

Um; it's the same reason anything gets put on sale; it's not moving quickly enough at the normal price.

For example, I hardly ever do more than a cursory glance at those "all movies under $5" bins -- because the movies in there are normally ones that no-one would buy at any price. (The occasional exception I probably already own because I was prepared to pay a higher price for it to begin with!)

But they sure are cheap! :lol:

One thing I really hate about TWL is their sticky price labels. When you take it off it leaves sticky residue which is hard to clean. I just dab the sticker on the residue over and over to remove as much as I can but still not happy about it. Anyone have any good ways to get that sticky residue off? Almost puts me off buying Blu-Rays from there.

Rhygar;85495 wrote:
One thing I really hate about TWL is their sticky price labels. When you take it off it leaves sticky residue which is hard to clean. I just dab the sticker on the residue over and over to remove as much as I can but still not happy about it. Anyone have any good ways to get that sticky residue off? Almost puts me off buying Blu-Rays from there.

I do the same then use pieces of normal sellotape to get the balance - works fine although does take 5-10 minutes! clear plastic Packing tape also works okay too! :)

mycenius;85457 wrote:
I was tempted by the Bourne Trilogy also but it just didn't excite me enough. They (Manukau TWL) also had Firefly at around $89 less 20% (so $70) which would have also been a good buy but I had got a copy for $80 from JBs 6-8 weeks ago...

Have you seen the reviews for Firefly Blu-Ray? Most of the special effects were rendered in SD so will not look as good as the rest of the movie. Just something to be aware of. Although Morena Baccarrin in HD will probably more than make up for that :)

Rhygar;85497 wrote:
Have you seen the reviews for Firefly Blu-Ray? Most of the special effects were rendered in SD so will not look as good as the rest of the movie. Just something to be aware of. Although Morena Baccarrin in HD will probably more than make up for that
:)

No I hadn't and I haven't watched it yet - it was a spur of the moment purchase when I was in JB's in January and all I looked at was the Audio...

Degeneration happened after RE 4. Woohoo i love confusing peeps :D

OK, point taken, but that's not the point I was making/asking - How come the Original is not available here, yet three other films from the RE franchise released since are? (hopefully these semantics will satisfy you purists)

OK, point taken, but that's not the point I was making/asking - How come the Original is not available here, yet three other films from the RE franchise released since are? (hopefully these semantics will satisfy you purists)

Got your point but was just pointing out that Re4 doesnt exist. Anyway not sure why Re1 isnt available here. Sure it will appear sooner or later. Or you could try the Amazon sale as i think its available in their 3 for 2 deal...though it is the most expensive of the 3 at 15.98(pounds) as opposed to 8.98 for the other two.

I went JB and their prices are outrageous. Most of the B2G1F discs can be sourced cheaper from the UK. If you can wait 7 days, I recommend this:

http://www.dvd.co.uk/landingpage_690.htm

2 for 18 pounds + 2 pounds shipping

Heaps more titles added.

Only problem with DVD.CO.UK is that when you click on disc for specs it lists almost every Audio track as Dolby Digital.

Makes it hard to compare to US/OZ releases for the higher speced release etc

Edited by Jutta

Rhygar;85495 wrote:

There's a citrucs based product you can buy called Desolveit. I think that's how you spell it.

Now if only you could easily remove that oddly placed NZ Classification sticker i would be completely happy ;) I havent visited the warehouse yet but couldnt wait and picked up The Hulk and Poltergeist from JB for $39 and $32 respectively. Which warehouse in Aucks do people recommend that has a good range of Blu-rays?