Blu Ray Discs Bargains thread - please list them as you find them

Didnt say i would pay that. I dont pay over $30 for any title and in most cases only 15-25. You cant compare BD and DVD pricing though mate. DVD's were just as expensive for the first few years of inception which has been discussed may times before.

Actually the DVD, at a comparable stage of its product lifecycle, would have been about $50! Pretty sure that is what I paid for my first copy of Fifth Element (Now on my 3rd with BD added now $32)

Edited by Guest

• Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didnt say i would pay that. I dont pay over $30 for any title and in most cases only 15-25. You cant compare BD and DVD pricing though mate. DVD's were just as expensive for the first few years of inception which has been discussed may times before.

Thing is, they really weren't. They were cheaper.

And it IS fair to compare prices. Both products cost about the same to make; the authoring for Blu-Ray might be more complex, but on the up-side for the studios, everything involved with that has gotten cheaper - encoding hardware is faster, authoring tools are much more efficient and much faster (they used to author DVDs using text-based scripting, believe it or not).

And on top of that, the HD transfers are already there. With DVD, they had to spend money making that heppen.

If the studios don't stop the price-gouge on BD soon, they'll learn yet another lesson in how not to market a product.

Actually the DVD, at a comparable stage of its product lifecycle, would have been about $50! Pretty sure that is what I paid for my first copy of Fifth Element

Huh? I've never paid $50 for a single DVD. Right at the START of DVD's product lifecycle, indeed, I remember paying about $25 for Legends Of The Fall - one of the initial batch of releases in this country - at Myer.

This weeks k-mart specials http://blurayaustralia.blogspot.com/2009/0...l-march-11.html

Plus you can win a blu-ray prize pack when you spend $50 or more on anything in store

1st prize - A Telefunken plasma

2nd prize - A Sony Blu ray player (valued at $394) plus 11 movies

Hmmm...what's 3rd prize? :lol:

Edited by darthhasbro

Buy 2 Blu-rays, Get 1 Free @ JB HIfi

Online - http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/DVD/B2G1F_Blu-Ray.htm

Looks like, it may be instore as well

And if you have twitter you can follow the latest blu-ray specials, news and releases from twitter at https://twitter.com/blurayau

I don't get it when they say:

"The total cost of your 3 blu-ray titles will be amended across all 3 at the checkout stage so that they will be around $24.66 each before frieght costs"

So not only is it B2G1F, but they also are reducing the prices that are stated?

At $36.99 each, pay for two = $73.98, but you get three, so effectively it's $73.98/3 = $24.66 each... plus shipping. Rather than list two at $36.99 and one at $0, all three will be adjusted to the same total.

All titles on the online store seem to be the one price at $36.99, unlike in-store prices and have different titles. I went to Leichhardt and the first disk I pulled up was $39.99...

RUN... DONT WALK .. to the new Kmart DVD sale..... (brochure 05 March)

where you can get titles like THE DARK KNIGHT, KUNG FU PANDA, THE MUMMY 3, NATIONAL TREASURE 2, BODY OF LIES and NARIA 2 (WHATEVER) for $39.99 each !!! OMG !!!!

opps.... I thought that this was the non-bargain thread :) my mistake ... like Kmart.

(actually - why am I bagging Kmart when its CLEARLY the local distributors that are stuffing up the high prices ??? GET REAL on Blu-ray prices !!)

Edited by tonyjg

Huh? I've never paid $50 for a single DVD. Right at the START of DVD's product lifecycle, indeed, I remember paying about $25 for Legends Of The Fall - one of the initial batch of releases in this country - at Myer.

The first DVD player I had was the PS2, on the day it launched, DVD had been around for a while then, but titles were often $40-$50 ....quite seriously the savings margin by importing (via DVDSoon back then) was massive compared to now.

At $36.99 each, pay for two = $73.98, but you get three, so effectively it's $73.98/3 = $24.66 each... plus shipping. Rather than list two at $36.99 and one at $0, all three will be adjusted to the same total.

All titles on the online store seem to be the one price at $36.99, unlike in-store prices and have different titles. I went to Leichhardt and the first disk I pulled up was $39.99...

I found that in store were cheaper for most movies.. some were $39.99 but found many at $30, $33 and $34. even picked up apokalypto for $23.99 which was sticker price. (must have marked it wrong). at b2g1f most movies instore are less than $23 ea.

RUN... DONT WALK .. to the new Kmart DVD sale..... (brochure 05 March)

where you can get titles like THE DARK KNIGHT, KUNG FU PANDA, THE MUMMY 3, NATIONAL TREASURE 2, BODY OF LIES and NARIA 2 (WHATEVER) for $39.99 each !!! OMG !!!!

opps.... I thought that this was the non-bargain thread :) my mistake ... like Kmart.

(actually - why am I bagging Kmart when its CLEARLY the local distributors that are stuffing up the high prices ??? GET REAL on Blu-ray prices !!)

No Bag KFart - my local clearly doesn't want to carry BD - it took them FOUR weeks to put a copy of DKN on the Shelf (let alone the BB/DKN box set) .... of course now they have tons at an inflated price and nothing released under a month ago anyway -hopeless!

edit: I never thought I would see the day when Target were better on DVD's and BD than KFart, but they are miles ahead down here lately

Edited by Guest

And it IS fair to compare prices. Both products cost about the same to make; the authoring for Blu-Ray might be more complex, but on the up-side for the studios, everything involved with that has gotten cheaper - encoding hardware is faster, authoring tools are much more efficient and much faster (they used to author DVDs using text-based scripting, believe it or not).

And on top of that, the HD transfers are already there. With DVD, they had to spend money making that heppen.

If the studios don't stop the price-gouge on BD soon, they'll learn yet another lesson in how not to market a product.

Your fogetting one key factor. BD licensing which is what jacks up BD prices. IM fariyl certain that the first DVD's i bought in 98/99 were about the $30-35 mark at JB. Not much difference to BD's really. Not sure why you think costs of everything have gone down. Production costs of movies have gone up, promotion budgets have gone up, the complexity of BD features have increased and hence the cost of producing them and the wages of all incolved would have risen significantly from the late 90's. Not all movies are already sitting there in HD. My understanding is that there is still a lot of work involved in prepping the audio and video for BD release, particularly on older titles.

Your memory is failing you. Evita, for example, was about $40-50, as were the handful of other releases that represented the first DVDs released for the Australian market. Legends of the Fall? It might have been an early release, but it certainly wasn't one of the first.

And it IS fair to compare prices.

So, you're adjusting the 1999 prices to account for inflation and CPI, right? Seems to me that the adjusted prices are roughly the same for the same length of time in the market.

And on top of that, the HD transfers are already there.

Er, sometimes. Except for stuff that was released in the last couple of years (and not always then), the studios are finding that they need to redo the transfer as the originals, while adequate for DVD, are deficient when viewed in HD.

Yep. That's pretty much what people were saying about DVDs at the equivalent time in their release cycle.

Hey, don't knock Kmart! The more expensive the better as long as they price match and give you 5% of the difference!

My Local (Warrnambool) is a MASSIVE DRAMA to get a price match ... it usually involves making the case three times to different staff then asking for a manager -> even then they will only price match against local competitors, so with no local Big W, JB hifi or other big BD retailer (other than Target) it makes the opportunities to ask even rarer ...... worse, if you do win and get the price match policy to work for you they treat you like a thief for the next 6 months.

One manager even told me that I didn't understand their policy and to qualify for the 5% difference I had to go BUY the competitors product, produce the receipt, then they would consider a price match.

Yes I have complained to Head office, about 3 years ago, and things did get better for about 6 months, but they have now gone back to their let's make it impossible policy.

On top of all that they never have any BD stock worth buying - it takes them a month to put out new release BD stock, and by then I have made a trip to Melbourne and bought it there MUCH cheaper. When they do put "new"(old) stock out it's usually at a silly inflated price.

Anyway .../rant off, it's easier (and cheaper) to drive 2-3 hours to Geelong or Melbourne where there is real competition.

Edited by Guest

But it is all relative, what year was that? What was $25 worth? What else could you buy with it? I know I paid $30 for some DVD's. Not suggesting the price of BD is good.

As for HD transfers being there, well that is true, but on the other hand a lot of old catalogue items weren't exactly looked after and looking for good prints in good condition, or fixing them up takes time and money too. Sure company's like Disney kept most of their catalogue material pristine as they release the movies again and again and again, but other studios are not so fortunate. They fixed some (a fair number) up for DVD, but some of those fix ups are not good enough for HD.

My major gripe with BD prices is that, DVD prices fall fairly quickly after release, BD maintains the premium price. I understand the reason for this but after being conditioned to the way DVD prices work, it's hard to come to grips with the idea that catalogue releases are premium product forever.

My major gripe with BD prices is that, DVD prices fall fairly quickly after release, BD maintains the premium price. I understand the reason for this but after being conditioned to the way DVD prices work, it's hard to come to grips with the idea that catalogue releases are premium product forever.

We need a replacement for BD .... the prices we are seeing now on DVD's, like $12.99 for a DVD released 3 months ago @ $27.99 is a direct result of them milking and loading consumers with the "old" technology .... they are dumping the excess product they produced in order to get the economy of scale they wanted for the original release (+ some warehouse stock for later).

Now if there was something superseding Blu_Ray we'd see the same shortened, milking, life-cycles and pricing strategies.

We need a replacement for BD .... the prices we are seeing now on DVD's, like $12.99 for a DVD released 3 months ago @ $27.99 is a direct result of them milking and loading consumers with the "old" technology .... they are dumping the excess product they produced in order to get the economy of scale they wanted for the original release (+ some warehouse stock for later).

Now if there was something superseding Blu_Ray we'd see the same shortened, milking, life-cycles and pricing strategies.

DVD was being discounted down to $12 long before BD was even an itch in the pants of the engineers at Sony so I don't quite it has anything to do with BDs arrival.

Went into Warehouse this morning. Saw Serenity at $37 and The Island at $23, so got 20% off both of them. Was really happy to get Serenity since it was the only copy in that store and I would have payed full price for that movie. Warehouse also had The Dark Knight on special for $30 if anyone is interested.

DVD was being discounted down to $12 long before BD was even an itch in the pants of the engineers at Sony so I don't quite it has anything to do with BDs arrival.

Sorry off thread.....I think you are just used to HD DVD prices at $10 and under!!!! B)

Just picked up my very LAST order from inetvideo.....11 movies landed for $100 (some quite good)

Rhygar;85401 wrote:
Warehouse also had The Dark Knight on special for $30 if anyone is interested.

Manukau TWL had no stock when I was just there. Picked up 7 Years in Tibet for $19.99 - otherwise wasn't much of a selection - Too many things still at $37.00 or even $45.00 so even with 20% off most of them not worth it, or are items I already have... :(