Gold 90.5

Faces from the 70s (A sudden sense of feeling blues....and old ;D)

ONJ - I Honestly Love You

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DUlElE9wJk

Leif Garret - I Was Made for Dancing.

Gilbert O'Sullivan - Alone Again

Carpenters - Rainy days and Mondays

Debby Boone - You Light Up My Life

(evening gown of the 70s downgraded to present nightgown)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxo0lsJnx-U

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of our DJs on English stations sucks.... A lot of them talked a lot of rubbish, and they thought it's funny, but I find it stupid.... There's only one DJ that I'd liked in the past. He used to be on air FM 90.5 every evening until 12pm. (I think is a Hawaiian Chinese.... not sure). He spoke very fluent English, and played beautiful nostalgic songs.

I'm not sure about our Chinese and Malay stations, whether they talked rubbish.

I have to admit 90.5 is the only station I listen to though they seem to have a poor music director - the same songs can be heard every few days.  Last week, the same song was heard just less than 3 hours apart!

No choice as the rest are worse.

In the office, I am tuned from the moment I stepped in till I leave 10 hours later.

In the car, I am paying $13.50 every 6 months just to listen to 90.5 (which works out $2.25 per month!)

Some of the songs are played so often that it's not necessary to own them on CDs anymore.

I don't mind some of the songs they play, but I don't like their jokes,....... like name 5 things should have been done or should not be done, etc. The morning breakfast pair really sucks. I just hope they play the songs and shut their mouth.  :-X :-X :-X Brian Richmond can get a little boring sometimes. There's no match for one DJ who used to host FM90.5 (10 yrs ago) in the evenings until midnight. I can't remember his name now (I think Terry ?). He has excellent enunciation with a pleasant and soothing manly voice. I enjoyed his program every night.

One of the very few DJs here who have real passion for music is Chris Ho (X Ho he calls himself now) Thatwas years back when I was still listening (attentively) to radio. Even for music he doesnt particularly like, he would have some comments on the song, album, singer's background, roots etc. Nowadays most DJs talk more about anything else except music! They have no passion to discover new trends in music, up and coming artistes etc, they only play what is on the list!

has anyone heard hamish brown on one of those morning shows with  that petrina kow?

why is he still in the bizness amazes me. he is a has-been. don't even have good diction or pronunciation. laughs more than he talks and play even lesser music.

have you guys noticed that many times even when the opening music to a songs comes up, they are still talking & you can't enjoy the the full song. really sucks!

and guess who is the programme director?? the "ah lian" from singapore idol - florence lian i think. :'(

why can't they bring some young blood in with fresh ideas?

has anyone heard hamish brown on one of those morning shows with  that petrina kow?

why is he still in the bizness amazes me. he is a has-been. don't even have good diction or pronunciation. laughs more than he talks and play even lesser music.

have you guys noticed that many times even when the opening music to a songs comes up, they are still talking & you can't enjoy the the full song. really sucks!

and guess who is the programme director?? the "ah lian" from singapore idol - florence lian i think. :'(

why can't they bring some young blood in with fresh ideas?

Yeah, Hamish laughs a lot, but I don't find it funny. Rather, I find him irritating. I also noticed sometimes he doesn't pronounce the words correctly, and sometimes his sentences are grammatically wrong..... for eg. once i heard him asking a question, a boy name what?......., and she don't do it....... and .........

no listen to radio since a long long time ago ...

perhaps a case of "Video Killed The Radio Star"  ;D

nah, i not a fan of music videos also

but when, favourite station (other than the good old days of Rediffusion) ...

was Radio 1 (was it what was known b4 change to Gold 90.5 ?) ...

used to tuned in when Brian, Peter King, or Lyn Sa'adon were at the helm

and who could forget Happy Talk  ;D

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah man, i used to listen to gold 90.5 since i was in sec sch and my fav segment was THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES, hosted by the best dj Tony Orchez. It was the perfect way to relax and go to bed. Sadly, he retired from local airwaves 10yrs ago, and when larry lai took over, it was over... At least now its big bro brian, but he still lacks the charisma n humour of tony.

Thank God i used to record them on cassettes, n his last session...

Hamish, seems to talk alot abt sex n appears abit to desperate.

Hope tony comes back

Yeah man, i used to listen to gold 90.5 since i was in sec sch and my fav segment was THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES, hosted by the best dj Tony Orchez. It was the perfect way to relax and go to bed. Sadly, he retired from local airwaves 10yrs ago, and when larry lai took over, it was over... At least now its big bro brian, but he still lacks the charisma n humour of tony.

Thank God i used to record them on cassettes, n his last session...

Hamish, seems to talk alot abt sex n appears abit to desperate.

Hope tony comes back

Totally agree with you. Tony Orchez was the best Singapore ever had (I don't know if this is the same as the one who hosted the HK radio station in the 1960s and was also a singer).... after Tony retired, the standard of DJ had deteriorated that had gone from bad to worse...... Hamish not only talk nonsense most of the time, he also laughs too much and I find him really irritating many a times.

U noe, i actually emailed gold 90.5 recently to ask abt tony and wat he was doing. I tried to google and nothing much came out, not too sure if he is the one from HK... But when he retired, he received well wishes all the way from tokyo n all... Its been like 10 over yrs since i last heard him on the radio, and  TILL NOW i still complain when listening to radio abt them not being up to par with him ::).

I think he used to be the voice for the local wheel of fortune on tv. In the past, it was more of being charmed by him on the radio and then getting to enjoy the songs... Now its more of listening to the station for the choice of songs, rather than any dj in particular. Yeah they repeat alot of songs over few days...

I asked for his name, cuz i noe how it sound but not how its spelt, and i wanna google n find out abt him. Their reply was his name is Tony ORchez, and we dun noe whats he doing now LOL.

Sadly, google didnt help much either

no listen to radio since a long long time ago ...

perhaps a case of "Video Killed The Radio Star"  ;D

nah, i not a fan of music videos also

but when, favourite station (other than the good old days of Rediffusion) ...

was Radio 1 (was it what was known b4 change to Gold 90.5 ?) ...

used to tuned in when Brian, Peter King, or Lyn Sa'adon were at the helm

and who could forget Happy Talk  ;D

wow Happy Talk !!!!  tat was almost 3 decades ago !!!

I may be mistaken....Lyn Sa'adon was initially called Lyn Chan , rite?

But have to admit Brian Richmond is the king of local radio.... he has been in the biz for > 30 years.  Still recall him hosting the Sony sponsored show on Sunday morning....those were the days of sponsored show...and the favorite host at that time was the late Roger Khoo and his wife Lynette.Their voices could be heard from "Saturday Special" the Burger King sponsored show at 11am or 12 noon  till  Sunday..ard 3 pm.

The other one with a great voice is the evergreen Chris Ho...as well as Willian Xavier aka Mr.X.

another great pairing of the late 80s was Bernard Solosa and Monica Lim...pleasant voice and no nonsense approach in hosting a radio programme.

Hamish Brown too had been ard for a long time..he was much better though less funny back then.

One of my fav DJ was Rose Tan who used to spin 12" remixes during the nite show from 9 pm to 12 midnight..of cos the 12" remixes were usually played from 9 till 11 pm.

regarding Suresh Menon or sometime he called himself as Sue Menon....is it the same person who on and off will have a writeup on Sunday Times...the name looks the same and the picture is also quite similar.

Qn : Who was the host of Happy Talk .....

But have to admit Brian Richmond is the king of local radio.... he has been in the biz for > 30 years. 

Only through sheer longevity.  Sorry to disagree with you, but I've always thought Brian Richmond was a dreadful DJ.  And Mark was no better.

Only through sheer longevity.  Sorry to disagree with you, but I've always thought Brian Richmond was a dreadful DJ.  And Mark was no better.

yup do agree with u ,  king as in longevity.....but not necessary the best.

As for Mark,,hmmm.....nvm forget abt him.

bro cracker,

you are right - Lyn Sa'adon used to be Lyn Chan.

old man Richmond is good compared to the crappos we have nowadays, ie. Hamish & the Kow girl.

i really miss the radio days when "listening" was a pleasure and soothing to the ears. it calms you down espacially during exam periods in sec school days.

i had a radio with cassette deck in my room & used to record top 20 songs (before piracy was an issue & all that crap).

aaah, must be growing old lah!

u know, if we side track abit and compare all the commercially competitive english radio stations, i think Gold90 is still one of the best stations, plays a fair mix of music, etc....

i personally think CLASS95 is the worst