...mat-z

I have modded a Rega Planar 3 (anyone heard of it?) ...., anyway, I have an acrylic 12mm platter on it, and ....everytime.... I do an a/b with the standard felt mat, and -- just using the rubberized mesh from Coles, used for lining drawers..., the Coles rubber mesh comes out on top by miles..., focused pin-point imaging/vocals, greater definition, clarity, ... in comparison, using the felt mat, makes the sound more subdued, diffused and less eventful...

...anyone have thoughts/experiences on this and other mats with a/b comparisons..., either manufactured, .... or just using any diy material....

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have modded a Rega Planar 3 (anyone heard of it?) ...., anyway, I have an acrylic 12mm platter on it, and ....everytime.... I do an a/b with the standard felt mat, and -- just using the rubberized mesh from Coles, used for lining drawers..., the Coles rubber mesh comes out on top by miles..., focused pin-point imaging/vocals, greater definition, clarity, ... in comparison, using the felt mat, makes the sound more subdued, diffused and less eventful...

...anyone have thoughts/experiences on this and other mats with a/b comparisons..., either manufactured, .... or just using any diy material....

Felt definitely gives a woolly sound. Muffled and loose.

Some time ago there was discussion of a platter mat (Sonic Bliss I think it was called) that some dude in SA was selling which had received rave reviews. Some SNA members used it and said while it did seem to improve sound, continuous use and contact with the material left residue and marks on the vinyl. Those users described it similarly to you - like the thin, rubbery draw liner you buy from Coles.

So short term gain in SQ, but potential for damage to your vinyl over time was reported.

I use a cork platter mat which revolutionised my sound.

Dave

Felt definitely gives a woolly sound. Muffled and loose.

Some time ago there was discussion of a platter mat (Sonic Bliss I think it was called) that some dude in SA was selling which had received rave reviews. Some SNA members used it and said while it did seem to improve sound, continuous use and contact with the material left residue and marks on the vinyl. Those users described it similarly to you - like the thin, rubbery draw liner you buy from Coles.

So short term gain in SQ, but potential for damage to your vinyl over time was reported.

I use a cork platter mat which revolutionised my sound.

Dave

Hey Dave....., yes, I have been meaning to try out the cork....its on my list (I wonder if you can get black cork?)....

...well, only 'Coles' sells 'Coles' rubber mesh drawer lining rolls, ... I cannot see how it can leave a residue tho..., I'll have to examine it more periodically, ... its working gr8 so far tho...., but will get hold of some cork... (to think that I actually purchased an extra felt mat from the UK...:()

What about the record directly on the acrylic. Very happy not to use a mat on mine. I found it to be cleaner than on my Goldmund Relief Mat & nobody knows what that is made of but is suspected some sort of carbon compound.

What about the record directly on the acrylic. Very happy not to use a mat on mine. I found it to be cleaner than on my Goldmund Relief Mat & nobody knows what that is made of but is suspected some sort of carbon compound.

I tried direct on acrylic, however, its not as good, ... apart from that it slips....., the rubberized coles mesh grips it nicely, and seems to keep it solid on the platter...

I tried direct on acrylic, however, its not as good, ... apart from that it slips....., the rubberized coles mesh grips it nicely, and seems to keep it solid on the platter...

Have you tried using a record clamp? I use my CA without any mat, never had a problem and it sounds good.

Have you tried using a record clamp? I use my CA without any mat, never had a problem and it sounds good.

...would'nt the vinyl record get damaged/scratched on the acrylic platter, as you put in on while the platter is spinning ie: on a Rega...???

...a record clamp?? on a Rega ??...doesn't seem right somehow, never seen one for it...

Carbon fibre. Eg

...man, 119$ just for a mat...?!?!..., why not go further, and raise the price to 299$....LOL

...my Coles mat, the whole 'roll', cost me about $5...., and will do probably about 25 TT's...., that estimates to 0.20c per mat... Pretty good value huh??

...surely, we can find a carbon fibre mat that is the same or similar, that is used for some other reason, and can be purchased much more cheaply and cut to size..., now that is what I like to do...

...the Carbon Fibre sounds good tho..., (reminds me of my Coles mat, the description...)

Edited by TigerScent

...the ultra-thin hi-density foam found in foam and rubber stores might be worth a try...., and didnt someone mention copper somewhere?...what is to stop us from getting a sheet of copper, and cutting to size??, and maybe laminating it with something....

I have a replynthed Planar2 with upgraded subplatter & 26mm acrylic platter. It's as smooth as the glass & it has never crossed my mind that it could scratch the vinyl. I also use a centre weight. Never, ever had any slippage issue, with or without weight. Try it without the mat, you may be surprised.

I have a replynthed Planar2 with upgraded subplatter & 26mm acrylic platter. It's as smooth as the glass & it has never crossed my mind that it could scratch the vinyl. I also use a centre weight. Never, ever had any slippage issue, with or without weight. Try it without the mat, you may be surprised.

hmmm, might work with a centre weight..., where do U get ones for a Rega from??

...and

...have you thought of modding it? ie: isolating the motor from the plinth? and rewiring/foam dampening the tonearm??? (see my thread on Rega Planar 3 - significant mods)

...you may find, that your Rega 2 will sound a lot better than most 2's & 3's....

Edited by TigerScent

Do we have the same Mat?

I have tried different Mat before, SAEC, Boston, Ring Mat, Millenium mat, Goldmund. The Millenium mat was the best mat for me, but I have put them for sell because I got the better one.

Do we have the same Mat?

I have tried different Mat before, SAEC, Boston, Ring Mat, Millenium mat, Goldmund. The Millenium mat was the best mat for me, but I have put them for sell because I got the better one.

I got a gr8 idea...., why dont you chaps try a simple experiment ???....

...why dont you go and get a 'black' (or any colour) Coles mesh drawer roll, for about 5 $, and cut out a LP size circle out of it, ... and try it, and compare...., see what the difference is...., and REPORT to us, what you found???

...its simple, dirt cheap, dead easy, and would be quite fun...,

...all unused rubber mesh mat can be used to line drawers with etc...LOL

Hey TS. the weight is a Bren, comes from the US. Not too heavy, low profile. Makes a subtle difference but significant. Nice chaps to deal with. The RB250 is rewired with Isotek Cardas wire. Not using a mat 'cause the VTA is just right. I would like to sort the motor out one day & put in an external PSU.

...would'nt the vinyl record get damaged/scratched on the acrylic platter, as you put in on while the platter is spinning ie: on a Rega...???

...a record clamp?? on a Rega ??...doesn't seem right somehow, never seen one for it...

Why would you put an LP on an already spinning platter? I used to have a Rega, I never did that. Why not a weight/clamp - cheap solution if it works.

Something I came across - http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/analog-sources/turntables/phono-accessories.html Specifically mentions Rega tt, I have no idea if this is still available.

Kabusa sell a clamp that is meant to suit short spindle decks like Regas. I'm considering one. I'm also considering getting a shim to raise the height of the spindle as it can be decoupled from the sub-platter (glued on) so I can use a thicker mat.

Why would you put an LP on an already spinning platter? I used to have a Rega, I never did that. Why not a weight/clamp - cheap solution if it works.

Something I came across - http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/analog-sources/turntables/phono-accessories.html Specifically mentions Rega tt, I have no idea if this is still available.

...to change records easily..., that was the way they did it in Sydney in the HiFi stores I went to..., with the Regas..., saves time, no need for the 'k-thunk' sound all the time and mucking around with switches. I seem to recall one fellow specifically stating that you just leave it on while listening to records and changing them, and then just switch off when finished...