... budget Phono pre-amps...possible mods, ideas

hmmm, Ill see, its the II version....maybe its just the fact that its a newer (and better) cap...I was just speaking with Vitor from Brisbane Speaker Repairs, who suggested that is all it was..., so, can hardly wait to replace them all..., with those kinds of responses to change, it might start levitating off the floor, when I engage it...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...well, just thought I'd experiment, while waiting for the other (more authentic source) Silmic II's; removed the 'offending fake? Silmic II's', and put the same value caps (supposed to be lower quality) in I removed from a NAD 3020e I am modifying, ... consequently, the bright vocal element now has moved to its place (balanced) towards the background, while other sound elements (bass-detail) have come forward..., how interesting, ... go figure...:P

...man, it sounds MUCH better now....I'm not ever getting anything from 'hlly' again...period ;)

I now need to go thru a 'healing process' to recover from all this, and listen to my modded Rega Planar 3 more, with select LP's...:)

Edited by TigerScent

Fun playing with stuff :)

I have no patience so slapped the Boozhound together and while only able to listen at low levels ATM (till morning), I'm impressed, a definite step up from the CA stage I have been using :)

Fun playing with stuff :)

I have no patience so slapped the Boozhound together and while only able to listen at low levels ATM (till morning), I'm impressed, a definite step up from the CA stage I have been using :D

...yes, it is lots of fun :)

...now U R making me feel like trying it out... :) ... maybe I can just make/duplicate (or get seperately) the circuit board and use my own sourced components. The boozhound uses some Russian oil-filled caps doesnt it???

...U might want 2 try the Cornet2 valve phone pre-amp (half-kit) next... :o http://www.hagtech.com/cornet2.html

(CA = Cambridge Audio?)

Yes, Russian PIO's, but I only used them in the EQ, and will replace them down the track...along with some of the resistors.

I think I have read up on that Cornet2 at some point, I'll look at it again some time :)

Yes, Russian PIO's, but I only used them in the EQ, and will replace them down the track...along with some of the resistors.

I think I have read up on that Cornet2 at some point, I'll look at it again some time :)

What are you going to use as replacements??

Umm..budget will dictate, and also they are small values and many caps don't come in such...but I would like to use Duelund Alexander's throughout.

There's that budget issue coming up :)

Umm..budget will dictate, and also they are small values and many caps don't come in such...but I would like to use Duelund Alexander's throughout.

There's that budget issue coming up :)

...yes, there is 'the budget issue'...., I just do things in increments/stages...., if they are expensive, get 2 instead of 10, then 3, then ... etc..., and solder them in, in stages....U can see it 'grow' that way...

Would be the only way for many of us :)

I actually get a bit peeved off when I do multiple mods, and am not sure what did what...

...yeah, I know...I always remind myself, 'take notes'...

...what has annoyed me, is when time goes by, having to do other things, trying to recall polarities/colour codes/where the dang screws went..etc...

...take notes, record everything, put all bits and pieces in one spot..... and - D O C U M E N T - I T !

Has anyone had any experience with the Oatley Electronics DIY K301 mini-tube phono preamp??... I keep reading good reports on it, although some say its a bit weak in the bass area..., however, that may be alleviated with tube-matching/better components..., possibly...

Has anyone built/used one at length to comment??

ALSO, ... has anyone built/used a Hagerman Cornet2..., and compared it to the K301 or any other good/value phono pre-amp??

...again, it has good reviews, but some have minor reservations...

...as my first 'tube' project, I am wondering if there would be a 'm a j o r ' difference, between the 2, or if there are other/better 'tube' alternatives...

...and I really would like to get one up and running asap, instead of waiting weeks for parts for the Cornet2, if the K301 is pretty close in sound quality...

...anyone know? ... have any idea? ...any experience?....

This German eBay seller sells EAR 834P MM phono stage clone on eBay. You can then modify it with better parts.

A link to his past item and he will post overseas.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/150670658801#ht_1339wt_922

I wish I could understand German. Its a big case for such small components. I really want to have the tubes sticking out so I can look at them while glowing... , but is it comparable/better than the ones I mentioned??

I wish I could understand German. Its a big case for such small components. I really want to have the tubes sticking out so I can look at them while glowing... , but is it comparable/better than the ones I mentioned??
It's so you can fit big caps and stuff in it... when you mod it :hiccup

google translate is your friend (most times)

"You are bidding on a home-built tube phono preamp.

The housing is used by the CD player, which is why some wear (minimum).

Preamplifier has 3 new 6N2P-EB (Equiwalent ECC83) built.

You can also use ECC83 tubes, for which you have to switch (which is inside) turn into ECC83 position.

I've tested the preamp with a generator and oscilloscope.

Input impedance: 51k

Output voltage (input voltage 2.5 mV/1000Hz): 600mV

Signal to Noise Ratio:-80db

Dimensions: (WxHxD) Approx 44.5 cm x 10.0 cm x 27.0 cm

Weight: 3.8 kg"

...what is your take on these cheaper seemingly very similar Chinese pre-amps?? They really bottom out in price..., why would they be 'not as good' or even some 'better'??

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?LH_PrefLoc=2&_trkparms=65%253A3%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1&rt=nc&_nkw=tube%20preamp%20kit&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=2

...trouble is, I dont know what Im looking at, to be able to spot a good deal with this chinese stuff..., this guy seems to have sold a lot and still retained a high positive score..., what is this that he is selling exactly?? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Audio-Tube-Preamplifier-6Z5P-6N8P-6SN7-Preamp-Kit-DIY-1-/250803832494?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3a6512c6ae

...he says, 'just plug into amplifier' etc..., is it supposed to be an actually stereo preamp where you add controls/selector switches, rca's, or a phono preamp???

...anyway, dont have time to go through hoops with all this chinese stuff..., looks like you would need to replace almost every component..., just wondering about the K301 vs Cornet2 (or anything similar/better 'known' in valve) at present: going to look at the EAR information via google to understand it more

Edited by TigerScent