Custom Audio Platform |=======|

O.Sydney

I've started designing and am having prelim conversations with a manufacturer about making a custom audio platform.

The material of choice (mostly for aesthetics) is 25mm slab of aluminium laser cut to a custom shape, then either anodised or powder coated in champagne gold or a copper/brass type colour.

50mm castors on each corner or some type of legs / supports / spikes. The size to fit under my sideboard table and to accommodate the Magtech amp and Rotel pre is 970mmx400.

One thought is that it being aluminium, does that effect the working of the pre and amp with regard to RF / magnetic workings of the transformers etc or electronic equipment ?

thanks in advance, I welcome any feedback on such a design for audio equipment use

I've started designing and am having prelim conversations with a manufacturer about making a custom audio platform.

The material of choice (mostly for aesthetics) is 25mm slab of aluminium laser cut to a custom shape, then either anodised or powder coated in champagne gold or a copper/brass type colour.

50mm castors on each corner or some type of legs / supports / spikes. The size to fit under my sideboard table and to accommodate the Magtech amp and Rotel pre is 970mmx400.

One thought is that it being aluminium, does that effect the working of the pre and amp with regard to RF / magnetic workings of the transformers etc or electronic equipment ?

thanks in advance, I welcome any feedback on such a design for audio equipment use

Hi

As a plate it shouldn't have any effects on how the equipment will run .

If your going to anodise it make sure you use the correct grade of aluminium so it takes the dye evenly and doesn't bloch up . If your going to get it powder coated find a cheaper material to use .

Cheers

your knowledge was hard won mate.

can you explain what you mean by "hard won" ?

A contact of mine has an engineering shop and he is very willing to brain storm ideas for a custom platform rack with me and I was hoping for some feedback on the suitability of materials used, design etc. I gues others use timber chopping blocks or stone type material.

What I really wanted was to use solid copper or brass, but using aluminium and anodising it would be close enough for me.

As far as powder coating if the cost was primary I would use MDF then have it powder coated, yes P.Coated instead of single or 2 pac (different finish altogether). But that would feel like I was taking a big short cut.

I had confirmation that the laser cutter was only going to be able to cut through 12mm aluminium plate. So the choices would be to have it milled using 25mm, or sandwich the 12mm with a dark timber veneer top and bottom, polish the raw alu edge. That would look cool (I think)

I just wasn't sure if that much metal would interfere with a transformer that could pump out near enough two thousand watts.

The other thought was about the material having a vibration or resonance and affecting the equipments performance.

Any other thoughts appreciated

Edited by O.Sydney
to clarify

• 3 weeks later...

Met with my contact from the engineering shop, lets call him Steve :), end of last week.

We didn't cover the "electroless nickel"... the cost of 25mm plate was quite high from one of his suppliers and together with it being too thick to be lasered, led us in exploring other design ideas. I asked about the plates profiles be machined to match the edge profile of the side board table that it will sit below... laser can't do that, only straight cutting. How about routering the profile, uncomfortable huh ? then Steve remembered another workshop that uses a CNC flatbed for aluminium plate. Now the wait to see that is an option.

The aluminium type is the 5083, the colour isn't totally confirmed as yet but I took over a couple of samples instead of Steve trying to guess by phone description. A anodizing colour I'd be happy with is the colour of a new dollar coin!

If I go with the two plate option, I was thinking of using a softish separating layer like cork or rubber for example. Would this make a difference in the micro vibration or negligible...? and stay with what looks best to me

HI O.S

I'll be checking if 5083 is suited to anodizing ,I was looking at getting my speaker baffles anodized but I was put off by a person in the trade saying 5083/5086 can end up being blotchy on large pieces ,I'll be better of using 6061 . If your going to put something in the middle try end grain balsa .

Cheers

HI O.S

I'll be checking if 5083 is suited to anodizing ,I was looking at getting my speaker baffles anodized but I was put off by a person in the trade saying 5083/5086 can end up being blotchy on large pieces ,I'll be better of using 6061 . If your going to put something in the middle try end grain balsa .

Cheers

the feedback was that 5083 is suitable, I'll ask if it's a risk and if there a cost penalty for 6061, which Wikipedia list as "aerospace Aluminium alloys" instead of the marine grade 5083. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_alloy

end grain balsa, as in balsa wood ? never heard of it ? where to look ? similar properties to cork or not ?

end grain balsa, as in balsa wood ? never heard of it ? where to look ? similar properties to cork or not ?

Yes ,Boating supply's well worth a look .

Cheers

HI O.S

Cheers

5083 is no problem if anodising company is any good, if you want l can provide details in Melb who could do your baffles.

5083 is no problem if anodising company is any good, if you want l can provide details in Melb who could do your baffles.

Thanks lusk

I going to do a Candy pearl finish instead of anodising the alloy ,the thing is I might put a facia panel over the driver surrounds so you only see the cone & surround .

CHeers

Mal

Hi,

Yes the CNC flat bed is a go, they have similar router profiles to what I'm after so I'll not use the laser because of only square profile to edges. With a new supplier for the raw material and machining I'll wait and see the costs for the 25mm or stay with 2 x 12mm sandwich method.

The edge profile will be matching (or similar) the side board table, here are a few pics

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33460[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33461[/ATTACH]

and some colour anodizing options, I like the coin colour

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33462[/ATTACH]

must say Steve, has been very helpful with a fuss pot like me, it's a "little" different than his usual work program. Should know more by end of next week

Met with my contact from the engineering shop, lets call him Steve :), end of last week.

We didn't cover the "electroless nickel"... the cost of 25mm plate was quite high from one of his suppliers and together with it being too thick to be lasered, led us in exploring other design ideas. I asked about the plates profiles be machined to match the edge profile of the side board table that it will sit below... laser can't do that, only straight cutting. How about routering the profile, uncomfortable huh ? then Steve remembered another workshop that uses a CNC flatbed for aluminium plate. Now the wait to see that is an option.

The aluminium type is the 5083, the colour isn't totally confirmed as yet but I took over a couple of samples instead of Steve trying to guess by phone description. A anodizing colour I'd be happy with is the colour of a new dollar coin!

If I go with the two plate option, I was thinking of using a softish separating layer like cork or rubber for example. Would this make a difference in the micro vibration or negligible...? and stay with what looks best to me