LOUD "popping" Noise Coming from my Subwoofer??

Hi.  Hoping someone can help with possible adjustments please?

My Home Set-up consists of Marantz NR1710 AV Receiver / Pioneer Blu-Ray Player UDP-LX500 and Samsung 4K (2020) 55" TV. My Speakers are Richter Wizard S.6 Floor Standing / Richter Centre Speaker / 4 x Jamo Ceiling Speakers.

The latest edition is the Richter Thor 10.6 Sub.

The Sub is set-up as follows - Crossover set to 60Hz / Phase is set to 0 / Volume 0 / Low Pass Off / and EQ Setting to Home Theatre. 

The Marantz has All Speakers/Crossover  set to All - SMALL at 80Hz.

Sub Level Adjust was set to +7.5dB by Audyssey. 

Just wanted to provide everything that I could ....

Only when watching Movies - and only particular movies - I often hear this very LOUD Popping Noise coming from the Sub. It is very loud - lasts a second - startles you - and occurs infrequently - but obviously something is wrong. I was  lucky enough to be sent a changeover Sub (Brand New) to see if the problem repeated itself.

The problem doesn't seem to happen as much or as loud - but has happened during certain "Action" Movies. 

I don't listen to Movies Full Blast or anything like that. I have also noticed more recently that when playing CD's via Pioneer Blu-Ray / and watching some movies - the BASS seems louder than it should be - not in the background blending in but very prominent.

Hoping someone can suggest possible adjustments that would rectify this issue.

Would really appreciate the help......

I am a Novice - learning everyday from the Masters!!

Edited by Blacky2824789

Hi and thanks for replying.

The Receiver is a Marantz NR1710 - Sorry I got that wrong in the initial post. My apologies .....

All my equipment was purchased individually this year.

Receiver is connected to Blu-Ray via HDMI (Also new). Receiver is connected to the TV via eArc (HDMI Cable).

Hope this helps ....

25 minutes ago, Blacky2824789 said:

Hi and thanks for replying.

The Receiver is a Marantz NR1710 - Sorry I got that wrong in the initial post. My apologies .....

All my equipment was purchased individually this year.

Receiver is connected to Blu-Ray via HDMI (Also new). Receiver is connected to the TV via eArc (HDMI Cable).

Hope this helps ....

OK, that makes it easier.

I'm not aware of any particular issues with your gear, but based on past experiences there are three things I'd suggest:

1. Make sure you have the latest firmware in the player and receiver - might be something that is known and a fix is available.
  2. Set the player to output PCM/LPCM rather than bitstream - it's not unknown for pops to occur when bitstreamed data is decoded.
  3. Use a good quality shielded cable between the receiver and sub to avoid potential EMF from other appliances on the same circuit switching on/off.

Hi and Thanks again for replying ....

1. I always keep checking for Firmware updates for the Receiver/Blu-Ray/ and TV - it's just a habit but a good one.

2. Set the player to output PCM/LPCM - Not sure how to do this. You mean the Blu-Ray Player - Yes?

3. I Purchased a good quality cable - well I believe I have - when I set this all up. 

14 minutes ago, Blacky2824789 said:

I just checked - it does say Digital Output is set to PCM.

OK, probably need to check whether the pops are repeatable at the same point in movies and whether they are volume dependent.

If they are repeatable note the movie and time index and make contact with Qualifi (local Marantz distributor) - may need a firmware fix. They will

If it's volume dependent it's possible the sub driver is bottoming out, but the Thor isn't exactly wimpy, so not expected. It is a bit odd that Audyssey is adding 7.5dB gain for your sub - is this in a large open plan area?

10 minutes ago, Quark said:

OK, probably need to check whether the pops are repeatable at the same point in movies and whether they are volume dependent.

If they are repeatable note the movie and time index and make contact with Qualifi (local Marantz distributor) - may need a firmware fix. They will

If it's volume dependent it's possible the sub driver is bottoming out, but the Thor isn't exactly wimpy, so not expected. It is a bit odd that Audyssey is adding 7.5dB gain for your sub - is this in a large open plan area?

One more thought, it's possible that the 7.5dB gain is providing too high a signal for your sub's amp. Try turning up the gain on your sub and manually reducing the LFE gain in your receiver to 0dB.

• Like 1

Hi and Thanks again ...

I must admit the popping noise did occur mainly during one particular movie (Snowpiercer on Netflix). I did occur once or twice on another movie but can't remember which one that was. Snowpiercer is filmed on a train - lots of background noise.

No, it is not a large room. It is probably no bigger than 7 M x 4.7M (Combined loungeroom/ Dining and Kitchen) with the main listening area being 3.6M x 4.7M.

When you say "turning up the gain" - not exactly sure what to put it on and which setting that is? Sorry - new to all this ....

I understand the "Reducing the LFE gain back to "0" - I think that setting is set to LFE + Main if that means anything to you.

Really appreciate your input here ......

If you're streaming it's possible it's just glitches in your ISPs network causing the issue.

The gain is labelled Volume on your Thor.

To manually adjust the sub gain in your receiver go to the menu > speakers > manual setup and find the sub setting.

Thank You!!

The Volume of the Thor has "O" in the centre of the dial - then to the left -3, -6 and to the right +3, +6.

Could you perhaps suggest a setting to try please.

I understand how to correct the setting in the AV Receiver back to "O".

16 minutes ago, Blacky2824789 said:

Thank You!!

The Volume of the Thor has "O" in the centre of the dial - then to the left -3, -6 and to the right +3, +6.

Could you perhaps suggest a setting to try please.

I understand how to correct the setting in the AV Receiver back to "O".

Add about 3 to wherever it's currently set.

Thanks!!

It's set at "0" so I should turn it to +3 ?

Also if I go to Audio in the Receiver Menu - I found "Subwoofer Level Adjust" - but it is Blacked Out saying that It can't be set in the current sound mode?? Just gets more confusing .......

One thing I did find looking at the Audyssey Set-up and Distances - The front floorstanding speakers and Centre Speaker were all set to 3.6 Metres but the Sub for some reason (Which is right next to the front left floorstanding speaker) was set at 6.8 Metres?? These distances were set when I first used the Audyssey Microphone to set it all up.  I have now set it back to 3.6 Metres, same as the front and centre speakers.

Would that setting have caused the issue we are talking about?

I really do appreciate your patience with this ....

OK, turn the sub up to 3, then rerun Audyssey (a PITA I know, but..) - it should set the LFE gain a fair bit lower.

The extra distance for the sub is to deal with processing delays and should be left at the distance set by Audyssey.

• Like 1

Hi.

Just thought I would give you an update considering the amount of time you spent helping me.

I re-ran Audyssey - twice actually.

The system is sounding much better. Early days but I haven't heard the popping sounds since the re-run.

Will test it out over the next week on movies and see if same result.

It did set LFE Gain much lower as you expected .....

Thanks again!!

• Like 1

audyssey xt can be a pain. it should require starting the sub gain at 50% ( "0" on your sub) then all adjustments are made on the avr.

that distance setting is nearly double the front stage which again is unusual even for xt. as posted it has little to do with actual physical distance.

here is a link to the best audyssey set up guide. page 5/6/7 should be followed.

http://www.willowville.net/ht/Audyssey%20Setup%20Guide.pdf

Hi.

Just thought I would give you an update considering the amount of time you spent helping me.

I re-ran Audyssey - twice actually.

The system is sounding much better. Early days but I haven't heard the popping sounds since the re-run.

Will test it out over the next week on movies and see if same result.

It did set LFE Gain much lower as you expected .....

Thanks again!!

• Like 1

Hi and Thanks "Hopefullguy" - the information you have given me is really appreciated. I have printed it out and will have a good read .....

The Measurements after running Audyssey are - 

Front Left = 3.75

Front Right = 3.99

Centre = 3.66

Surround Left  = 2.28

Surround Right = 1.74

Height Left = 3.09

Height Right = 2.73

Sub  = 7.74

Not sure if this seems right or not.

example of mine.. room 4m wide, 6.5m long. front row 3.5m 2nd row 4.8m both approx from memory, physically poor room construction.

fleft 4.56m.. fright 4.65m... centre 4.29m

front sub (between fleft/centre 5.19m

BUT if it sounds good stats mean little ?

Hi and Thanks for your reply ...

I will test it out over the next week and see if, in fact, the issue with popping has been eliminated.

Seems strange to me that my Sub is set at 7.74 - but I'm no expert.  I have some reading up to do ........

On 03/07/2020 at 5:58 PM, Quark said:

One more thought, it's possible that the 7.5dB gain is providing too high a signal for your sub's amp. Try turning up the gain on your sub and manually reducing the LFE gain in your receiver to 0dB.

This! x 2 ^^^

turn the gain up on the subwoofer and re-run Audyssey as you are likely clipping the signal

Even if this isn't causing the problem, it's a good idea, ideally you want to be well into the negatives (but under your maximum which should be -12) I aim for around -10dB sub trim post Audyssey, which gives me some room to add to the subs when needed,  - while still staying in the negatives. I personally wouldn't recommend going above -3dB

*edit* should have read the whole thread,sounds like you're on the right track!

Edited by jamiebosco
  • Like 1

Hi Jamie-Bosco and thanks for your input - appreciated!!

By "Gain" I assume that you mean Volume on the Sub??

Previous post to another helping me -

"I ran Audyssey again for my home system – and the issue seems to be the same.  I kept all the same settings as before. 

What I thought was interesting is the Distance Results – FL 3.75, FR 3.99, C 3.66, Sub 7.74, SL 2.28, SR 1.74, FHT L 3.09 and FHT R 2.73.

I was watching a Movie just then and as the Sub noise was greater than the other speakers – I turned the volume back on the Sub to between -3 to -4 – and it settled down. It seems that the Sub is in the forefront with sound rather than in the background.

Not sure what you make of all this.  Maybe some of the settings for the Receiver are wrong although it all looks pretty standard."

Thanks .....

Yes the gai

1 hour ago, Blacky2824789 said:

Hi Jamie-Bosco and thanks for your input - appreciated!!

By "Gain" I assume that you mean Volume on the Sub??

Previous post to another helping me -

"I ran Audyssey again for my home system – and the issue seems to be the same.  I kept all the same settings as before. 

What I thought was interesting is the Distance Results – FL 3.75, FR 3.99, C 3.66, Sub 7.74, SL 2.28, SR 1.74, FHT L 3.09 and FHT R 2.73.

I was watching a Movie just then and as the Sub noise was greater than the other speakers – I turned the volume back on the Sub to between -3 to -4 – and it settled down. It seems that the Sub is in the forefront with sound rather than in the background.

Not sure what you make of all this.  Maybe some of the settings for the Receiver are wrong although it all looks pretty standard."

Thanks .....

Yeah mate, the gain/volume dial on the subwoofer.

It's a balancing act, I just run the first 1-3 measuring positions of Audyssey and save the calibration and check the Subwoofer trim level, aiming for around -10 to -6 range. You may have to run this a few times, just keep adding or subtracting small amounts to the sub's gain dial till you get in this range. After you have it set up correctly you shouldn't need to touch the gain dial again , all adjustments can be performed via the AVR in the "Speaker Levels" menu