Salt Cellar Initiative

mwhouston

4 minutes ago, lemarquis said:

Do you want to post just the audio file in 24/192? If you can post that to FB you can link here or if not  you will need to provide the audio file separately so it can be hosted somewhere I think, then a link to that can be posted here.

The face book vid. was recorded as a vid. with my iPad. What I hope to do next is a better presentation. Video with quality  sound. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mwhouston said:

The face book vid. was recorded as a vid. with my iPad. What I hope to do next is a better presentation. Video with quality  sound. 

That would work, but as an addition, love to hear the raw audio from the Steinberg as an audio file separately. A task for tomorrow :)  

Salt Cellar is up and going. Mono 807 triode integrated amp driving Beymas and Altec/FailtalPro horns - 98db efficient. Out if my Pi server and DIY DXD DAC at the mo.

Double run if cat 5 for speaker wire, mates and pairs separated - ala Duffin. Beyma 1st order Xover at 1100hz. Bass to the Beymas and mids/ treble to the horns in series. Xovers expecting 16 ohms so horns in series. It was a touch bright so 8 ohms between horns. Much better. Sound bite coming  up soon.

843FC1A0-BDE7-481E-9717-A067A442C179.jpeg

2C65DB85-08D4-4775-89DA-311C273687C9.jpeg

27B42356-093E-46F4-99AA-92CE06134B97.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mwhouston said:

Salt Cellar is up and going. Mono 807 triode integrated amp driving Beymas and Altec/FailtalPro horns - 98db efficient. Out if my Pi server and DIY DXD DAC at the mo.

Double run if cat 5 for speaker wire, mates and pairs separated - ala Duffin. Beyma 1st order Xover at 1100hz. Bass to the Beymas and mids/ treble to the horns in series. Xovers expecting 16 ohms so horns in series. It was a touch bright so 8 ohms between horns. Much better. Sound bite coming  up soon.

Well done.   

I was interested seeing you use cat 5 speaker cables.  I went to the trouble of making some years ago, and never thought they were any improvement over simple figure 8 speaker wire.  I remember reading different theories about which wires/pairs to join together etc.  Tried most of 'em...  oh well

• Like 1

Had a chance to listen to the amp for the whole afternoon and will again today. Extremely enjoyable.

Here is my blog posting if you want some more detail about the project.

http://retro-thermionic.blogspot.com/2020/07/salt-cellar-mono-807-triode-strapped.html

Here is an mp3 sound clip. It was recorded on a professional hand recorder at 24/96 (WAV) but to get it onto a SNA member's server I had to make it a 320K MP3. The original source is also 24/96 through my Pi server and DIY AK4497 DXD DAC. Straight out of the DAC and into the SC integrated amp. The recording was made from about 2mtrs back so you can hear the room too.

If you just listen on your phone or laptop use some quality head phones to get the a real feel of the immediacy of the sound. Through tiny little speakers most of the audio will be lost. Hope to have the Alan Lomax recording up later which was reffeenced in the SC article. 

http://www.filefactory.com/file/5x9pq9s4poe9/SaltCellarBeast.mp3

Well it’s movie night tonight for the wife and I. Hard to believe but the Salt Cellar amp, in mono, provided the audio. Through two very different HD movies from my 4K streaming player to my DXD DAC it was a great movie night  Crisp and dynamic sound and good bass with one horn and Beyma driver. 

After much listening I removed one horn, put the Beyma on the floor and tipped up the horn on top. Also padded down the horn a little more. Watch a 4K movie with this as the mono audio system and loved it. 

Here is a CD quality audio clip with the new setup - much better. Recorded at 24/96 and down sampled to CD quality. It may take me a while to workout how to make the download a one click go.

The link is not working. I have removed it.

Edited by mwhouston

I have a working link to the members server where the latest audio clip can be downloaded. This one is with the one horn and has a better balance.  Download the file which states single horn - last file. Once again listen on a full system or at least with headphones. 

http://www.filefactory.com/folder/f2aa809927787f19

Edited by mwhouston

Hooked the amp up to my 12” woofers smd Altec 511B/FaitailPro speakers (90db efficient) . These go down to 30Hz in room with the Holton amp but once more with the SC amp a roll off could be heard at 63hz. Shows that the lack of very low bass was a result of the amp and not so much the speakers. But, bass was more present with this setup.

The difference 8 more dB of efficiency was obvious. Turning up the amp with the two speakers in parallel and with a 3.3ohm resistor to bring impedance up to near 8ohms brought on distortion. Interestingly I could play at a good listening level without any sign of strain though. With the single Beyma/Horn setup there was so, so much more volume. 

Then it gets down to better bass or more volume. But wait there’s more; high efficiency speakers (in this case the single Beyma/horn Combo) brought a whole new level of immediacy take-me-there music which can’t be ignored. Yep the smoother more prominent underlining bass is real nice but I felt I was listening to reproduced music. With the high efficiency combo it felt so much more real. Drop the better bass and give me the immediacy. 

Hers a better image of the Tranni brd.

F3418DE4-FCA0-4F31-ADC4-F2E6FC5A9395.jpeg

9 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

But wait there’s more; high efficiency speakers (in this case the single Beyma/horn Combo) brought a whole new level of immediacy take-me-there music which can’t be ignored.

Yep.  It's a little "secret" most low power SET owners know well.  Easily heard with my full-range TQWT speakers with 8" fostex drivers

Edited by aussievintage
  • Like 2

On 17/07/2020 at 12:15 PM, mwhouston said:

Here is an mp3 sound clip. It was recorded on a professional hand recorder at 24/96 (WAV) but to get it onto a SNA member's server I had to make it a 320K MP3. The original source is also 24/96 through my Pi server and DIY AK4497 DXD DAC. Straight out of the DAC and into the SC integrated amp. The recording was made from about 2mtrs back so you can hear the room too.

The sibilance of Cash's voice was so natural quite remarkably so. Nice job Mark.

• Like 1