Current best slimline AVRS

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/05/2020 at 2:09 PM, Bunno77 said:

Very understandable but even with my bookshelves sat beside tv on tv unit voices come from all across the screen rather than a box underneath. Seems more natural to me

Sorry to hijack the thread but I figured I'd ask the question here. 

What integrated amp and speakers are you running? I was contemplating going for a 3.1 setup but I've heard from a few people that an integrated amp with decent bookshelf speakers would do the trick. I don't want a massive system dominating the living room as we use the room a lot when friends come over. I will be using it equally between music and film/TV. 

I don't want to spend a fortune so was wondering if the following work well for movies as well as music and perform better than a receiver and a fronts (Wharfedale D320s) and centre (Wharfedale D300c) or should I pay a bit more? 

Audiolab 6000A or a Cambridge Audio CXA61, with a pair of Wharfedale D320 bookshelf speakers - I have these on order but may be able to cancel if they won't be any use (or pay a bit more for the Wharfedale Evo 4.1). 

Or do I get a stereo receiver and a music streamer? I'm not sure if i need a music streamer or if I can still stream music through the integrated amp using my phone/computer. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Andre28 said:

Have heard great things about the evo range,  if you can i would try demo both options side by side. 

I loved the Evo 4.1s. I didn't end up going with them as the centre is massive and my partner wasn't keen on a large centre speaker. That may change as we need to get a custom made entertainment unit made for our living room. 

Hi mate, something different (If it fits). Pick up a nad 368 amp (https://www.douglashifi.com.au/collections/floor-stock-sell-out/products/nad-c368-integrated-amplifier-with-dac-mdc-slot-bluetooth-and-phono-stage). Then use one of the MDC slots for the HDMI expansion and you will get video pass through as you wanted. Will blow all receivers away and gives you all the modern features, if you want you could even get the more expensive model which adds bluos.

cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1

12 hours ago, YippeKiYay said:

I loved the Evo 4.1s. I didn't end up going with them as the centre is massive and my partner wasn't keen on a large centre speaker. That may change as we need to get a custom made entertainment unit made for our living room. 

Yeah that's what I ended up having to do in order to accommodate the receiver (and as such am no longer going the slim line path).
Not a cheap process I must say!

19 hours ago, YippeKiYay said:

Sorry to hijack the thread but I figured I'd ask the question here. 

What integrated amp and speakers are you running? I was contemplating going for a 3.1 setup but I've heard from a few people that an integrated amp with decent bookshelf speakers would do the trick. I don't want a massive system dominating the living room as we use the room a lot when friends come over. I will be using it equally between music and film/TV. 

I don't want to spend a fortune so was wondering if the following work well for movies as well as music and perform better than a receiver and a fronts (Wharfedale D320s) and centre (Wharfedale D300c) or should I pay a bit more? 

Audiolab 6000A or a Cambridge Audio CXA61, with a pair of Wharfedale D320 bookshelf speakers - I have these on order but may be able to cancel if they won't be any use (or pay a bit more for the Wharfedale Evo 4.1). 

Or do I get a stereo receiver and a music streamer? I'm not sure if i need a music streamer or if I can still stream music through the integrated amp using my phone/computer. 

I have used a few combos like Marantz Pm15s1, McIntosh MA2275, Primare I32, active Dynaudios with pre/dac and a few others. All I like better than my AVR and I don't personally miss 5.1 or 3.1 for tv/movies I actually prefer it and music is vastly superior

Always best to listen for yourself and find a combo that you like and within budget.

Whether you do it with an external DAC or internal a toslink input works well for a TV input. Usually with most modern TVs you can use it as a streamer to begin with via Chromecast and add a dedicated streamer later that will connect via spdif or USB usually. Can also use a computer to USB for music too but some gains to be had from a dedicated streamer

8 hours ago, Bunno77 said:

Whether you do it with an external DAC or internal a toslink input works well for a TV input. Usually with most modern TVs you can use it as a streamer to begin with via Chromecast and add a dedicated streamer later that will connect via spdif or USB usually. Can also use a computer to USB for music too but some gains to be had from a dedicated streamer

Thank you. I'm very new to the different types of gadgets that can be used in a stereo system, so there's lots to consider that's for sure. 

12 hours ago, Ruffter said:

Hi mate, something different (If it fits). Pick up a nad 368 amp (https://www.douglashifi.com.au/collections/floor-stock-sell-out/products/nad-c368-integrated-amplifier-with-dac-mdc-slot-bluetooth-and-phono-stage). Then use one of the MDC slots for the HDMI expansion and you will get video pass through as you wanted. Will blow all receivers away and gives you all the modern features, if you want you could even get the more expensive model which adds bluos.

cheers,

Andrew

That looks like a good piece of equipment. I don't need HDMI pass through as I'm happy to have the sound sent to the amp via an optical cable. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I actually haven't unboxed it yet, still waiting for this entertainment unit!
from my previous experience with yamaha and denon, the denon tended to be a bit more "warm" sounding, for lack of a better word. The yamaha more detailed.

Edited by Andre28