No components have ground pin, high end power cables still worth it?

I am seeking advice on whether or not to get better power cables. Nothing in my system has a ground pin:

Preamp: Arcam SR250

Monitors: Acoustic Energy AE1 Active

Subs: B&W DB4S

DAC: Allo DigiOne

Power conditioner: iFi PowerStation
Mains Power: Dedicated 20amp line

Interconnects: Mix of Wireworld Luna 7s and Blue Jeans.

Everything except the Allo is powered using standard three pin IEC-13 plugs. Therefore I have a floating ground setup which is apparently good?

Is there an advantage in upgrading to better quality EGM power cables? I assume the EMI/RFI screening would help the interconnects as they are not balanced?

This site contains plenty of threads on this topic that will give you plenty of insights. As for EGM power cables grab one and hear for yourself in your system with the music that you are familiar with, them make the judgement. From what I read on their site unless you register the item it is subject to 30 day money back guarantee. But confirm that with the owner

most importantly enjoy the music 

Neo

Edited by Neo

Without getting technical if your equipment doesn’t have an earth pin then it’s fine as it’s designed to operate that way, it’s a problem when one uses the power cord with no earth attached and the hifi gear requires it. Do try an aftermarket cable within your budget and be your own judge as to what that upgrade brings into your system. EGM cables are not expensive (a relative term), and if they do not benefit your system then either sell for small loss or return within their trial period.

Like I said before cables in general have been discussed to death with lots of heated discussions, the only thing I take away from those discussions is to try for yourself within ones budget. 
perhaps this helps somewhat better than my earlier post

Neo

Edited by Neo
  • Like 1

Earthing of hifi almost invariably requires mains cables to have safety earth connection.  Please Read this:   https://sound-au.com/earthing.htm

"Should a fault develop within the equipment that causes the active (live) conductor to come into contact with the chassis, the fault current will flow to earth, and the equipment or main switchboard fuse or circuit breaker will blow.  This protects the user from electric shock, bypassing the dangerous current directly to earth, rather than through the body of the unsuspecting poor bastard who just touched it.  If this experience does not kill, it will invariably enrich the vocabulary."

The exceptions:

"There are exceptions to the basic earthed equipment method of protection.  Some equipment is designated 'Double Insulated', and usually has a symbol of two concentric squares that indicates that the equipment is double insulated, and that an earth connection is not needed (or in some cases must not be used).  The common plug-pack (wall-wart) power supply is nearly always double insulated, and such equipment has reinforced insulation, designed to ensure that it is not possible for the live AC connection to connect to the secondary electronics in any event - including a complete meltdown.  The electrical safety tests to verify that a product meets the Double Insulation standards are rigorous and expensive, and are very difficult to meet with high powered equipment, and even more so when the equipment has a metal case.  Nearly all power amplifiers (for example) are not double insulated, and require an earth connection.

• Like 3

Thanks stereo coffee. I checked all my equipment this morning and they all have the two concentric squares symbol on them.
I have always been skeptical of power filtering improving sound but when I introduced the iFi PowerStation and isolated my floating equipment from everything else I believe I noticed an improvement in base and detail. I wanted there to be a difference therefore I am not confident there actually is one. The mind is a powerful thing!

Having no earth on double insulated equipment should not have an effect on the job that the higher quality lead has to do.

If the the new cable has a internal shield to stop EMF (radiation) it will be probably connected to the earth at the wall end of the lead. 

You might be able to buy a 2 Pin lead that saves you some cash, not that I have seen any. 

I am still on the fence over good quality connections and shielding vs expensive power leads.. 

(I will tell you the new brake fluid vs braided brake lines story one day) 

But if you can try with a money back guarantee, it's well worth the time 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Hytram said:

You might be able to buy a 2 Pin lead that saves you some cash, not that I have seen any. 

EGM sell figure 8 leads but they are the same price as their C13 leads so no cost saving there and I assume the cost would go up if i asked them to terminate a figure 8 lead with a C13 plug.

I have two upgrades in mind that might provide a small improvement and they will both cost roughly the same:

1. Upgrade DAC to Allo DigiOne Signature with Shanti linear PSU
  2. Upgrade power cables to EGM

EGM seems like the easiest option because of their return policy. Onto the most difficult part - convincing the other half.