How good are the 200g 45 rpm releases from Analogue Productions?

Answer - very very good (IMHO)

I have recently purchased a few Analogue Productions Jazz LPs which have been pressed onto 2 x 12” vinyls and the sound quality is stunning.  It is so clear, airy and life-like.  The 45 rpm format is inconvenient as you only get about 10 mins a side but the sound quality is epic and just reward for getting out of your seat every 10 mins.

AP also did the same for the early Doors albums - again these are a big success.  Not at quite the same standard as the jazz LPs but much better than other standard 33 rpm pressings IMO.

However, I also recently took delivery of the new releases of Dire Straits on 2x12” 45 rpm from MFSL and while good they didn’t quite make the same standard as the AP pressings - sound a bit “flat” to me (not off key, just a bit subdued). Anyone else have a view?

• Like 1

My Harry Belafonte "Live at Carnegie Hall" 5LP and Nina Simone "Little Girl Blue" are two of my most prized possessions in my collection, both AP copies. The Harry Belafonte is so good I bought a second as backup in case anything ever happened to the main one!!!

RH109652.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah the MFSL Dire Straits are stellar. I don't see how you could compare them to the original 33rpm releases and not come away impressed.

I too like the AP Doors releases but all 6 of my records are pressed slightly off center. I can't audibly hear it but I haven't had the same issue with any Mofi release.

Most of the Jazz AP 45rpm releases are inferior to the later 33rpm Music Matter releases. I would say all of them though I am hesistant to generalize. Every Music Matters release I have heard of the same title is superior to the 45rpm AP release.

This is just my experience and in regards to pressing quality I am sure you will have varying customer experiences to support both sides of the fence.

Edited by kelossus
  • Like 2

All very interesting Kelossus.  I just bought a Cadenza Black today which I am going to put on the end of a VDH silver wired Zeta tonearm (an 80s relic but still a very good arm) and mount on a Mission 775 SM deck (this is a heavy little fella, also from the 80s, with sorbolene feet - not a suspension deck).  It will be interesting to see how the sound compares to my existing Thorens TD126 (suspension deck) with a similar arm and a Cadenza Blue.  This might make a difference.  On the Thorens the Dire Straits MFSLs sound a bit lifeless to me.  I’ll let you know mid-Jan...