Bass Head

Dirkgerman

Hi I'm Dirk, a newstarter here and this is my intro.

Have a keen interest in HiFi and found this site, cool, lots of Members.

I have a bit of gear, favourites are some old decrepit but functional JBL Speakers and an old Micro Seiki TT. I can hear the distant laughter 

Other than that looking for a better power amplifier as I feel it's the bottle neck  in the system.

Quite like the look of the Macintosh amps with the VU meters on front ! 

DirkGerman

Welcome Dirk, 

Yes, Big Meters, why not! Storytime: 1 year ago I found at a garage sale old SAE Amp, with big meters, and a preamp as well. Dude said they ran up until he replaced it five years before. Just sitting in a garage, dry. I told him I would take them for free, as they were covered in dust and cobwebs. Well, I went home vacuumed them, and played them for five hours. Amazing as they are from the early/mid 70's. I was going to make a second system, but we moved, so I gave it to a lad at the local computer shop who is into music. I prefer Solid State myself. No laughter here regarding your system, as enjoying what comes out of the equipement is the function of said objects. Though yeah, if you are going to plunk down four or five digits for an Amp, it better be sweet looking too. 

Amen 

15 hours ago, akjono said:

Welcome Dirk, 

Yes, Big Meters, why not! Storytime: 1 year ago I found at a garage sale old SAE Amp, with big meters, and a preamp as well. Dude said they ran up until he replaced it five years before. Just sitting in a garage, dry. I told him I would take them for free, as they were covered in dust and cobwebs. Well, I went home vacuumed them, and played them for five hours. Amazing as they are from the early/mid 70's. I was going to make a second system, but we moved, so I gave it to a lad at the local computer shop who is into music. I prefer Solid State myself. No laughter here regarding your system, as enjoying what comes out of the equipement is the function of said objects. Though yeah, if you are going to plunk down four or five digits for an Amp, it better be sweet looking too. 

Amen 

Hi AKJONO

I see you live in the most beautiful part of Australia, Tasmania (N or S ?)

Ah, the garage find, and yours to a great degree of success !!

Personally stopped buying like that as the pile of second hand operational/not operational gear pile grew and grew. Some was ok, some was garbage, but learned a lot from it, in particular, what not to do. From there gave up on the junky stuff and had a gararge sale, saved a bit more and bought into some really lovely gear.

I am a bit of a DIYer but like also to buy something already made.

Sweet looking, well, beauty is i the eye of the beholder with this stuff. My belief is function over form to a degree, beginning with treating the room where the gear presides as the room seems to be the biggest factor associated with the sound.

Thanks for dropping me a line

DirkGerman

Hi Dirk, 

I just saw your message. And for sure it is hit or miss with old gear (with old electrolytics for example). And for sure, my humble opinion also, that after a certain true level of musical fidelity (vocal subtleties and cymbal decays are heard)  escapes from your speaker to your ear, then the room dynamics need to be addressed with treatments etc. . . 

I am currently in South Tasmania, near Hobart, but we are housesitting "around" to find our power spot. It is a beautiful place for sure. 

Cheers. 

Jonathan