New Tannoy GRF-Rectangular horn finnished

Guest atilsley

Guest atilsley

Just finished this today....so I'm happy![ATTACH=CONFIG]29290[/ATTACH]

Design accurately follows the original Tannoy GRF. The white outline is a 19mm MDF frame I will use for the cloth cover....vintage 'guitar amplifier' style. Solid brass wheels to be added to base.

Timber is euro style high density/layered 19mm ply, with lovely Mahogany veneer. Rounded top front and bottom edge. All edges veneered with Mahogany stripping. French polishing to be completed. Should look superb when finally finished.

Driver will be HPD 15-inch co-ax, using standard Tannoy x-overs.

This can delivers 25Hz @ -3db...so it is very special. Read this report for tests.

I prefer this mode of manufacturing vs the CNC slice method....but the CNC is better suited for the hobbyist. This method requires extreme cutting expertise and quality machining.

Andrew

Thats very well done Andrew. Beautiful work. It will indeed look superb when you finish it. Will you be using the HPD385 co-ax? I had a pair once in cabinets similar in style (but not as good looking) as yours.

I had to eventually let them go, they leave a huge footprint and at the time I didn't have a room that would have done them justice.

Would love to see pics once you have them finished.

Chris

Edited by soundfan

Just finished this today....so I'm happy![ATTACH=CONFIG]29290[/ATTACH]

Design accurately follows the original Tannoy GRF. The white outline is a 19mm MDF frame I will use for the cloth cover....vintage 'guitar amplifier' style. Solid brass wheels to be added to base.

Timber is euro style high density/layered 19mm ply, with lovely Mahogany veneer. Rounded top front and bottom edge. All edges veneered with Mahogany stripping. French polishing to be completed. Should look superb when finally finished.

Driver will be HPD 15-inch co-ax, using standard Tannoy x-overs.

This can delivers 25Hz @ -3db...so it is very special. Read this report for tests.

I prefer this mode of manufacturing vs the CNC slice method....but the CNC is better suited for the hobbyist. This method requires extreme cutting expertise and quality machining.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

What a good job you've done! The cabinets look very neat and precise. Would you be able to let me know how much if I'd like to order in the future?

Thanks,

William

Guest atilsley

Chris, yes, HPD385.

William, PM sent.

Thanks others.

For my next personal project, I think I will use this Tannoy GRF for the bass, and build the Cogent conical 300Hz horn for top, using all Altec drivers (1-inch 902 driver for HF, 416 15-inch for bass). SNA thread here.

Can't wait.

Hello atilsley. Beautiful work indeed. Are the cabinets you have built the same as those in the linked to test report in your first post ? They seem to me a fair bit larger than most GRF rectangular Horns for 15 " HPDs getting around on the net. Eg the width of the linked ones is around 812mm compared to most at or just under 600mm ( too much difference to be explained by beefed up cabinets I think ) Judging by the driver cutout yours dont look like they would be that wide. Actually neither do the ones in the link. You said yours are the original Tannoy design. If you would could you please point me to the actual design you used. Thanks

Cheers Mike

Edited by Ando

Guest atilsley

Ando

The first link shows a measurement of 812mm...but you're right, the pics of the build do not look that wide.

My new build follows the measurements per here....560mm wide.

THIS link shows the cabinet as 23.5 inches wide (59.5cm)

Thanks for the info. I have a pair of HPD 15 with shot surrounds that I should get fixed up and do something with. I would do some GRF's but I dont know how I would move them into ( and out of) my house ) which has pretty limited access.

Cheers Mike

Guest atilsley

Mike...try Speaker Works for repairs.

The cabinets are approx 60-70kgs each...so it's a two-man lift...but they're not overly large....1100mm tall. If in Sydney, I deliver and set-up.

I've lugged a pair of 100Kg Big Fun Horns up three flights of stairs for a customer...!

Andrew