Cartridge Swap woes!

Hi All,

After recommending a Garrott P77 cartridge to Michael a local sn'aer to me who lives in Lugarno i arranged to help install the cartridge this morning.

Unfortunately as i tried to remove the tags from the ortofon 2M blue i noticed all was not well.

af2193dd087d625ce335ff4e7fef4b1b.jpg

So i tried to apply a little more pressure and this happened..

3d59a27f28b2a7abecb69202e3e3781e.jpg

It was then i realised the old cart had been soldered from the tags to the cart pins. Michael isn't bothered about the old cart but he is going to need some new tags soldering on his arm.

Can anyone recommend a tech in and around Sydney, maybe a kind reader would like to help?

It was great to meet you today Michael and listen to your very, very nice system. I know the brains trust here on the forum will come through. I am gutted we couldn't get the new cart singing!

Thanks for reading all and please help as soldering is not my forte.

Thanks Ian

Is the tonearm headshell removable? Cos it's quite tricky to do if it is. If it's me doing it I will heat up the tag and use solder sucker to remove all the solder rather than putting a new tag. Just an idea
There is a collar on the end of the headshell but we were not sure if it released the headshell. I think reheating the pins and seeing if the solder can be removed thus freeing the pins would probably work. It just seemed strange that a cart would be fitted like this. Maybe it was done at the factory.
Anyone know where Michael could take this?
Thanks for the idea@mloutfie

Guest rondine

The only factory that does work like that is called an abattoir.

Get someone who knows what they're doing to replace the clips.

ron

Thanks again to @topshelf for the troubleshooting. I did purchase the turntable with the Ortofon 2M Blue pre fitted. I suspect this is how they come out from the factory.

I’m open-minded to either having the solder cleared or upgrading the tone arm. Whatever is an easiest and as long as it’s cost effective.

Appreciate any responses.

• Like 1

On 18/08/2019 at 12:02 PM, TOPSHELF said:

...Unfortunately as i tried to remove the tags from the ortofon 2M blue i noticed all was not well.

It was then i realised the old cart had been soldered from the tags to the cart pins....

Some believe that soldering the tonearm/headshell wires to the cart pins improves the sound.  The clips are generally removed for this.

Good luck with the restoration.

• Like 1

Some believe that soldering the tonearm/headshell wires to the cart pins improves the sound.  The clips are generally removed for this.
Good luck with the restoration.
I have read and seen that before and it was a nice neat job, this looks more like "The blob" maybe the tech fitting the cart was having trouble keeping the pins attached to the tags.....

@TOPSHELFTry Harry at Audio Genesis.  This should be an easy task for him in Pyrmont.

I would think if you arrange it in time Harry could do it while you wait.  Top bloke and nice hifi store as well.

https://www.audiogenesis.com.au/about-us

This sounds like my best option. Head into the city, and have wait while it’s repaired.

There’s nothing worse than dropping off something and picking it up in Sydney.

I’ll flick them an email.

Cheers
  • Like 1

That was a butcher job and definitely no respectable factory would do that. For anyone thinking in soldering the cable or the lugs directly into any cartridge you'd better think twice about it as it is a recipe for disaster. If you haven't fix it yet post a photo of the whole head shell which is probably removable then if you wish contact me as I might be able to look at it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestion@PKay

The guys at Audio Genesis did a great repair job & my turntable is sounding better than ever. I don’t think they advertise as repairers but they were happy to take it on. I’d highly recommend them if you’re looking for some audio equipment . Very genuine people.

Once again thanks to@topshelf for taking the time out to investigate the issue.

Looking forward to enjoying some quality.