Sensit60

Hi all, introducing myself as a newcomer.   With my husband Graham Thirkell, I worked in the professional audio industry for 35+ years so have been spoilt by the very best of audio, although often at high levels.     Having visited a audiologist recently because of disturbing levels of tinnitus I found my hearing drops off significantly at 3Khz, which is quite a hit.      That doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy great music, nor find bad quality sound disturbing.   I find myself critically listening to performances of all types and unable to cope with a bad mix or poor reproduction.      So my home hi fi has always been very important to me.    I am here because I have had to move to a digital amplifier so that I can enjoy better quality sound than the poor speakers in my TV set.     I am dismayed by the quality of speakers installed in even quite expensive tv’s, not that ours is, but the sound quality should be equivalent to the visual quality.    

welcome Katherine, i also have tinitus, past 20+yrs constant, still enjoy my music, not too loud. I agree that most TV sets audio is lousy, a lot of people are using sound bars and keeping hi-fi seperate, unless it's a home theatre setup

G'day Katherine, I am also appalled by the so-called speakers in Televisions. I'd be happier if they were optional and something I don't have to pay for.

I have owned a home theatre system since purchasing it in '92. Like the family axe that has had a few new handles and a couple of new heads, my system is still with me (in spirit).

Good to see you here anyway. Browse and post, especially where you can help. We're all mostly OK here.

Thank you Wen and Uncle Seth.      Do I note a 50+ club?   If so I easily qualify for that one.

I have noted soundbars, and am impressed by the quality of small speakers these days, but I have my comfortable speakers from way back which also are nostalgic as they were part of my husband’s favourite set up.  They remind me of many hours listening to music together.  They were used in studios - Bag End Time-Align.     Not the usual hi fi speaker.

We have the one room for tv and music too, so there is no reason why I shouldn’t use the same system on both.

thanks again for the welcomes.

cheers

Oh I see ?? having looked further.   The 50+ club applies to the number of posts?    Not my age!     If so I do not qualify at all.   Apologies, I am still finding my way around responding and posting.    Enjoying it all though.    Am giving too much away about myself too.  ??

Welcome!

I'm fortunate to have a telly with decent sound that's seen me through about 10 years now, though I'm not a telly enthusiast by any means. Tinnitus is my greatest bugbear as well but it doesnt intrude on my musical enjoyment and I'm taking great pains nowadays to ensure it's progress is minimal!!

Thank you VFetishist.      Music is a necessary part of my life being food for my soul.   What better way to avoid the annoyance of tinnitus than to play music over it.    The volume needs to be up to overcome the noise level in my head, and high frequencies are more annoying than pleasant, but good quality audio Is a huge help as the detail is there without volume.         If you know some way to slow down the tinnitus I would love to know.?

• 4 weeks later...