We've been waiting for this acclaimed French series to show here and missed the 1st episode as it's been called 'Rebound' here rather than'The Returned' as it was in the UK. Just watched the 1st episode online http://tvseriespro.net/the-returned-s1-ep-1-season-1-episode-1/ but those of you who have Rialto can see a repeat of Ep. 2 tonight. It's showing on wednesday nights. Wonderful eerie soundtrack by Mogwai.

Watched the first episode...

Makes an excellent change from all the moody Scandinavian self indulgence that passes for modern drama.

Intriguing premise, well photographed, atmospheric music and sound.

SugdenA21;188160 wrote:
Michael, speaking of Scandinavian cop shows, have you tried 'The Bridge'? I thought the characters were fantastic, and the story was gripping - dark for sure, but not moody. If you haven't seen it, it may change your perception of Swedish drama.

yes it's very good. Don't see enough lead characters with Aspergers.

This made me think; do you find TV is putting out more quality stuff than you see at the movies these days. We saw Elysium this weekend and found it sentimental, bland and predictable. Thinking of Breaking Bad, The Bridge, The Killing, The wire, Game of Thrones, Sopranos etc. I'm finding all these TV shows far more interesting, innovative and well written than 99% of movies.

Tend to agree, though of your list of examples The Sopranos was the only series where I watched every episode.

Seen the first 3 episodes of The Bridge, it was watchable but I didn't feel compelled to watch more.

Hi Luis

Yes, even if Michael is a hard man to please, I'm finding that there is a lot of great television available these days. Shows like those you mention (and thanks for the link to Les Revenants too), are consistently good. Movies with great stories/characters like Sexy Beast or Crash don't come along that often, so I'm finding that the character development in TV with it's extended timeline/multiple seasons, is appealing for me.

Totally agree Luis, we found Elysium to be rubbish, superficial and over hyped unfortunately. Good TV series that we have just caught up with for those looking is Strike Back - First Season as per UK was 6 episodes that kind of set it off and not the best by any standards, but after that cinemax got hold of it and produced two fantastic seasons, season 4 now but only in 3 episodes re-streamallthis.

Currently watching The Unit, rather slow start, but had rave reviews anyone else seen this show and care to comment?

Sorry Michael, I was referring to the racism is bad...very bad, really, really bad one (in case you missed the message in the movie :-)). I know it's overtly preachy and spelt out, in the over the top way that America is famous for, but I still enjoyed it.

autyharley, give Justified a go. It's from the pen of the wonderful dearly departed Elmore Leonard.