Scalper?

Guest Guest

sirAndy;104105 wrote:
Everything we buy is marked up. It is called business.

Exactly. What if you had to go into work on the day they were selling tickets you wanted, so you paid a mate to stand in line for you to get a ticket? Acceptable? I think it is!

What if you paid a stranger who was already in the line? Yea pretty much. What if a stranger in the line anticipated you'd want some, bought a few spare, and put them on trademe.

Where is the line to cross?

Arg I'm scared of the backlash. Be gentle.

sirAndy;104105 wrote:
Balls

Clever ones. It's good logic. Oversimplified, but decent.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sirAndy;104106 wrote:
Balls.

:D Best response yet. Wish I could use that as my dispute letter to the parking ticket I just got. To the DCC. Balls. From Dan.

I conducted an interesting social experiment a couple of years ago with some Rippon tickets I had (decided to move to the UK so couldn't go). Put them on trademe with a buy now of exactly what I paid, and they sold within 15 minutes. It felt good, but I guess not all people think that way.

A good way to avoid all this palaver would be to make scalping illegal, BUT the ticket companies would need to provide a refund or account credit if the ticket buyer requested it. Works in retail.

"the overall hapiness of society is maximised" crikey, that's a stretch.

cortisolman;104110 wrote:
Yea okay a bit of a cliche economic statement. But I mean the happiness of the two, outweighs the disappointment of the one. And it wouldn't be as good if scalping was illegal. Anyone want to back me up? Anyone?

Sorry, I'm not buying it. Scalpers are unnecessary, exasperating middle-men, of which the world has far too many. Trust me, I know; I’ve worked in advertising.

You guys didn't read my post....

For high demand events, queueing in a line is folly.

You are waiting in line for maybe 1/3 of the seats. The rest were allocated before the gig was announced.

Scalpers are not the ones you want to be pointing the finger at when you miss out on a seat.

BTW, I have a spare Pearl Jam GA ticket for the CHCH show. Will sell at cost!

got tinnitus;104112 wrote:

You are waiting in line for maybe 1/3 of the seats. The rest were allocated before the gig was announced.

Scalpers are not the ones you want to be pointing the finger at when you miss out on a seat.

BTW, I have a spare Pearl Jam GA ticket for the CHCH show. Will sell at cost!

Yes, all good points.

I just don't understand why you can't get a refund or credit for a ticket that you are unable to use, seems like the best solution for all parties concerned.

I didn't miss out. There are still tickets available in seating for the same price as GA. If people really want to go they'd buy those. I would rather miss out than support a scalper. What I object to is scalpers making HUUUUUUUUUGE profits.

Cortisolman - no offence meant, this is just a healthy debate.:)

The guy who started all this IMO DID NOT buy tickets for his mates. IMO there were no mates.

got tinnitus;104112 wrote:

You are right - the same twisted supply/demand cycle is in evidence elsewhere. The travel industry for example. Big travel companies make block bookings so they can guarantee you prices/availability (or once the 'free' slots have sold, crank the prices up).

I think I've mentioned this before my but an aquantaince has played this system (probably illegally). Someone comes in with an internet price for a plane ticket and asks for it to be beaten (a promise the store made - as long as the ticket was available). She would quickly 'look it up on the computer' whilst actually making several phony block bookings, thus making that 'cheap' price no longer available. She would even turn the monitor around and show the punter - proceed to get them to buy the more expensive ticket (one she would make money on). Once the person left the store, she would cancel the phony bookings. She only did this to recidivist cheap arses who wanted service without paying for it :P (i.e. people who got her to spend days organising their world tour only for them to take all the details and book it online).

I just don't understand why you can't get a refund or credit for a ticket that you are unable to use, seems like the best solution for all parties concerned.

Costly to administer I'd say. Once the ticket agency sold you the ticket, the last thing they want is to see you ever again!

Scalpers don't make huge profits (all the time). Every rock show will have those poor clowns out front trying to off load at cost or at best a few bucks on top.

sirAndy;104114 wrote:
What I object to is scalpers making HUUUUUUUUUGE profits.

So its OK for a scalper to make a profit as long as its not huge. So what sort of profit is accpetable. If the guy was scalping, say, Foster and Allan tickets would we feel such angst?

got tinnitus;104118 wrote:

Costly to administer I'd say. Once the ticket agency sold you the ticket, the last thing they want is to see you ever again!

Possibly, however the word service comes to mind. In retail, if someone buys the wrong sized shirt, the store can swap or provide a credit. I don't see the difference, especially if an account credit is given (ie gift voucher), or a refund of the purchase price minus a 10% admin fee. This could work, but there would need to be a time limit, like refunds couldn't be given any later than 7 days before the event (to give them time to re-sell). Just an idea.

minimoke;104120 wrote:
So its OK for a scalper to make a profit as long as its not huge. So what sort of profit is accpetable. If the guy was scalping, say, Foster and Allan tickets would we feel such angst?

That's not what I meant at ALL. I meant, if these scalpers are so concerned for their fellows, they'd sell these "spare" tickets at cost price. Conversely, if they hadn't bought so many in the first place, people wouldn't miss out. Okay?

I'm sick of this fucking thread.

sirAndy;104128 wrote:
That's not what I meant at ALL. I meant, if these scalpers are so concerned for their fellows, they'd sell these "spare" tickets at cost price. Conversely, if they hadn't bought so many in the first place, people wouldn't miss out. Okay?

I'm sick of this fucking thread.

oops - looks like an apology for the offence you've taken from my post is in order. And I may as well apologise in adavance for any offence Foster and Allen fans may expereince.

minimoke;104134 wrote:
oops - looks like an apology for the offence you've taken from my post is in order. And I may as well apologise in adavance for any offence Foster and Allen fans may expereince.

No need to apologise.:) I forgot to take my pill this morning is all.....:rolleyes:

aarond;104127 wrote:
what's all the fuss about, who's ever heard of the Pixies?
:P

Yeah I hear they suck anyway........:D

cortisolman;104163 wrote:
There was no offense taken here, I'm finding it quite healthy so far. A good system in some American states (I've heard) is an online ticket resale organization, set up by the companies who are putting on the event. That way profits can be managed, and the event gets a good cut.

Yeah, a good (second) cut... but wait a minute, when was capitalism ever fair?

cortisolman;104163 wrote:
There was no offense taken here, I'm finding it quite healthy so far. A good system in some American states (I've heard) is an online ticket resale organization, set up by the companies who are putting on the event. That way profits can be managed, and the event gets a good cut.

This system is far from perfect. Bruce Springsteen forced a major ticketing co in the USA to apologise for directing fans to their re-sale site to buy tix at a premium when tickets where still available through their standard site.

GT is correct when he says scalpers is only a small part of the equation. There are so many sponsors and intermediaries involved in many of todays' larger tours that only a small percentage are put on sale the day that ticket sales open. Many bands offer pre-sale facilities to fan club members; then there are the artist's 'holds'; sponsors 'holds', promoters 'holds', credit card co's 'pre-sales', ticketing agency 'pre-sales'...

One final observation - to those who suggested that U2 are fair game for scalpers, even scalpers themselves, (chopper, declannz) i'd like to know what you based that assumption on? Does that mean they are fair game for burning their latest CD instead of buying it too? When, in your opinions, do artists become deserving enough to be 'not scalped'? Why should the Pixies not be subjected to scalping but U2 deserve it?

King Size;104234 wrote:
This system is far from perfect. Bruce Springsteen forced a major ticketing co in the USA to apologise for directing fans to their re-sale site to buy tix at a premium when tickets where still available through their standard site.

GT is correct when he says scalpers is only a small part of the equation. There are so many sponsors and intermediaries involved in many of todays' larger tours that only a small percentage are put on sale the day that ticket sales open. Many bands offer pre-sale facilities to fan club members; then there are the artist's 'holds'; sponsors 'holds', promoters 'holds', credit card co's 'pre-sales', ticketing agency 'pre-sales'...

The whole process leaves me feeling royally shafted. I wanted a GA ticket to the Pixies so I could be in the action but the Ticketmaster site wouldn't let me - must be sold out - so I buy 'best avaliable' and get a crap upstairs seat on the side. Now I have been informed that they are 'holding some GA tickets back until closer to the show.' Why FFS? So they can sell the crap seats first?

Now I have to buy a GA ticket and sell my upstairs one! Scalper?

Oh yeah - I have 3 tickets to AC-DC because of Ticketek's monumental screw up earlier this year - I only wanted one. Scalper?

Ticket companies should sort themselves out pronto - it's below par big time. I'd rather deal with the scalpers.

DodgyConnection;104438 wrote:
The whole process leaves me feeling royally shafted. I wanted a GA ticket to the Pixies so I could be in the action but the Ticketmaster site wouldn't let me - must be sold out - so I buy 'best avaliable' and get a crap upstairs seat on the side. Now I have been informed that they are 'holding some GA tickets back until closer to the show.' Why FFS? So they can sell the crap seats first?

Oh yeah - I have 3 tickets to AC-DC because of Ticketek's monumental screw up earlier this year - I only wanted one. Scalper?

Ticket companies should sort themselves out pronto - it's below par big time. I'd rather deal with the scalpers.

Ahem - I never actually called anyone a scalper or criticised scalpers. I simply agreed with GT that they are merely part of the equation and, like you agree that there are other problems/issues :cool:

DodgyConnection;104438 wrote:

Ahem - I never actually called anyone a scalper or criticised scalpers. I simply agreed with GT that they are merely part of the equation and, like you, agree that there are other problems/issues :cool:

King Size;104455 wrote:
Ahem - I never actually called anyone a scalper or criticised scalpers. I simply agreed with GT that they are merely part of the equation and, like you, agree that there are other problems/issues :cool:

yeah - I was agreeing with your post King Size :)

There has to be a better way - I think Joe Punter really gets the smelly leftovers in a lot of cases...