Panasonic plasma (in PAL region) with NTSC source

Well, according to the Pani I currently own 42PV60A manual, it can handle PAL and NTSC source. Just wanted to find out if anyone in PAL region mainly NZ & AU connect a NTSC source with good result.

Reason I am asking is bec I have my eye on Canon HV20 camcorder. In NZ, it is around NZ$1650 and the price on http://www.pricejapan.com/front/e_good_info.php?code=308&category=9 is NZ$1000. Enough saving for me to buy an authoring software, extra battery and tapes. However, as it is NTSC.

BTW, anyone brought a camcorder from pricejapan?

I have used the PA60 with a DVD player playing out in NTSC (not PAL60) and it works just dandy, no issues at all. I would expect the PV to do like wise. Modern digital panel displays have few if any limitations in this area.

Dont forget that NTSC is significantly lower resolution than PAL, so all your recordings will be forever trapped in low res.

Camcorders are not the most reliable of consumer products, due to the compact nature of the tape mechanisim they are prone to problems, so warrenty would be a major concern to me.

Cannot comment on pricejapan, never used them, but do know of others with positive results price wise, but some have been burnt when attempting to get repairs under warrenty.

Cyril

cyril;50497 wrote:

Cannot comment on pricejapan, never used them, but do know of others with positive results price wise, but some have been burnt when attempting to get repairs under warrenty.

Cyril

This is what I worry most. Guess I'll wait a month or two as Canon is releasing a new camcorder HV30 and the old model price should drop as its no longer the top model.

• 2 weeks later...