The Hunt for a 10m HDMI Cable for 4K@60Hz

Guest Peter the Greek
20 minutes ago, AudioGeek said:

Yeah, i got caught out before. Its painful.

The standard keeps changing so i ended making some accessible conduits for the next inevitable upgrade.

Are there any wireless options?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, AudioGeek said:

Yeah, i got caught out before. Its painful.

The standard keeps changing so i ended making some accessible conduits for the next inevitable upgrade.

yes conduit is what everyone suggests ! nice 100mm :D so easy to pull through , change over hehe

1 hour ago, Peter the Greek said:

Are there any wireless options?

epson has their wireless, but its bandwidth limited. their projector is band width limited to without a full 18gbps hdmi chipset so probably doesnt matter 

Guest Peter the Greek
4 minutes ago, :) al said:

epson has their wireless, but its bandwidth limited. their projector is band width limited to without a full 18gbps hdmi chipset so probably doesnt matter 

No-one does a stand alone set up? one that can be used for any projector?

45 minutes ago, Peter the Greek said:

No-one does a stand alone set up? one that can be used for any projector?

not aware .. and not sure be wise to invest given 18gbps already superseded by current hdmi 2.1 which is probably what they are working on :)

cant run cable ? I did myself and was retro ... if I can and in my setup...I reckon anyone can :D

On 31/07/2017 at 7:56 PM, Paul56 said:

Another HDMI cable option worth considering  is http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/hdmi-cables/hdmi-cable.htm

paul, you just want to be very careful. I dont know how much experience have had with hdmi cables. bluejeans makes good cables for sure but 4k uhd and especially 50/60 is a whole new ball game. everyone literally everyone of the cable makers were caught wiht their pants down on this one ! 

bluejean themselves will tell you below,

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/premium-hdmi-cable.htm

that they only have premium certified cables for uhd upto 15feet or about 4.5m so after that its a bit of pot luck

even their series 1 cable the thickest they have in 23.5guage they say...is good for 20 ... "probably" 25feet ! :O so yeah even they are not sure and not game to say past 6-7m ! 

"If you're curious about Series-1 and 1E cables, our 23.5 AWG version: we expect that these would pass the electrical tests of the Premium HDMI Cable program but we currently do not plan to submit them for testing because we have good reason to suppose that one phase of the testing -- the repeated tight wrapping of the cables around a tube to verify performance after mis-handling -- is likely to break connections in the cable-to-connector joint. The design of the cable is identical to the Series-FE except for scale, and the 23.5 AWG conductors provide significantly lower attenuation, so we do expect Series-1 and 1E to be good for at least 20 and probably 25 feet at the full 18.0 Gbps bandwidth. It's possible that they may function just fine for somewhat longer distances in practice, but it is becoming clear that the kind of headroom we've seen in the past, where the cable is certified high-speed to 25 feet but will run some high-speed video 100 feet or more, is simply not going to be possible under 2.0."

we are fortunate to now have some premium certified cables upto 6-7m so a bit more surety but otherwise probably best sticking with something known to work e.g. been mentioned in this thread and make sure buy something with a good return policy.

and I know likes of bluejeans have a great return guarantee but you can imagine the cost and pain of getting cables back to the us where they come from. which is why its so great in news that likes of ruipro for instance that we know works and beyond 10m is available locally. 10m and under we do also have the office works cable and possibly some others that also work :) 

• Like 1

i would shudder think what a 10m version of it would cost....

given a 1m cost $900 locally :unsure:

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/nordost-heimdall-2-4k-capable-hdmi-cable?variant=16063976643&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI__LChuS-1QIVkSy9Ch2VEw4bEAYYASABEgJqy_D_BwE

and not to be obtuse on something like this but sorry in my experience over the 18 months with uhd just about any old sch!t over a 1m length will work even ones I've been given for free, no name generic things that were "high speed rated". problem with hdmi is longer lengths e.g. getting upto and over 10m as been mentioned here

Nordost does that cable in a 10M length factory terminated

i checked b4 i posted as the thread title is pretty specific about the 10m part ;)

The Valhalla is out to 15m factory terminated.

But Nordost is one of the greatest cable companies in the world.

Little known fact. The "hifi" part of their business is minuscule. Unlike other cable brands Nordost makes cables for top flight business like NASA and for medical procedures (that little camera on a string that photos your colon? Thats nordost) so thats why the cable is so good.

Strange that one of the forum sponsors of Nordost - like addicted - hasnt appeared yet to inform you. Glad to be of service friend.

Edited by soundreference

• Volunteer

There are plenty of major name cable companies that haven't been able to produce an HDMI cable that will reliably pass 4K@60Hz 4:4:4 over longer lengths, I certainly wouldn't want to be paying in the thousands for a cable and then find that it doesn't work in my system.

As  @:) al , myself and many others have found it can be a minefield, the Nordost may work fine but it just as easily may not.  I'm not saying that there will never be a whole range of cables that "just work" with 4K but for the moment there are not many.

I was away for the weekend but we had a couple of midweek movie nights for Fate of the Furious & Ghost in the Shell, both of which looked very, very nice in 4k. 

Once again I had no issues with the Ruipro when changing resolution between the disc and the Oppo menu, which had been a big annoyance with other cables.

• Like 1

• Volunteer

I was away for the weekend but we had a couple of midweek movie nights for Fate of the Furious & Ghost in the Shell, both of which looked very, very nice in 4k. 

Once again I had no issues with the Ruipro when changing resolution between the disc and the Oppo menu, which had been a big annoyance with other cables.

Guest EZYHD

Pleased to see this Kazz it confirms what many others say about the Ruipro Fibre Optic cables on the likes of Amazon - reviews.

Its getting better now as AV dealers come on board.

Edited by EZYHD

Well said Kazz

As always my advice on these things would be to ask your local dealer to give you a home demo of any of said cables and try it in your own system before you let g of any of that hard earned. That is the best way to know if the cable works exactly how you need it to ;)

I personally dont deal in HDMI as previously stated (we are 2 channel only we dont do TV or home theater) but there are plenty of really decent and reputable dealers out there who im sure would be willing to assist with all the cables mentioned in this thread

Guest EZYHD

Its a problem doing in-house demo with Australia's demographic locations, however, in out case we have money back no questions asked as long as item is sent back in condition received.

and Kazz, thanks for the excellent update on the Ruipro HDMI Fibre Optic cables, it confirms what others world wide say on AV forms and reviews.

Hey Guys,

In relation to the above. I've done the firmware upgrade to give me the new colour profiles but what actual settings needs to be applied for it to read as HDR? Or should it happen automatically?

Not just the contrast adjustments but what colour profile should be used? BT20.20 and what picture mode? Can someone break it down or send a few photos of your settings. I'm using jvc x7000. Will give the new HDMI a go but I'm confident the cable I purchased is 4k compatible as i get the 4K signal  displayed on my PS4 Pro when i fire her up. That console works fine just can't get the XBox One S to work.  Audio no picture issues.

Steve 

10 hours ago, Steven_James89 said:

Hey Guys,

In relation to the above. I've done the firmware upgrade to give me the new colour profiles but what actual settings needs to be applied for it to read as HDR? Or should it happen automatically?

Not just the contrast adjustments but what colour profile should be used? BT20.20 and what picture mode? Can someone break it down or send a few photos of your settings. I'm using jvc x7000. Will give the new HDMI a go but I'm confident the cable I purchased is 4k compatible as i get the 4K signal  displayed on my PS4 Pro when i fire her up. That console works fine just can't get the XBox One S to work.  Audio no picture issues.

Steve 

I bet you your cable is not 4k uhd capable for what ever format your Xbox is outputing. I'm noting you posting the same question in multiple places this is not necessary

re jvc x7000 settings check this thread and would be most appropriate to post in in if have further questions rather than this cable thread :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2017 at 5:05 PM, :) al said:

Must say Al it seems the JVC PJ's are just so popular these days even though not at a low cost price point, but as we all know quality can cost extra, now if I only had the room...

2 hours ago, EZYHD said:

Must say Al it seems the JVC PJ's are just so popular these days even though not at a low cost price point, but as we all know quality can cost extra, now if I only had the room...

definitely the way to go these days foxy, I had quite humble beginnings with a PJ but that was some years ago and didnt think before that had the room for it either. but then you have been there done that too I guess. something very much enjoying these days for the bigger screen experience. still do very much use the "telly" for everyday TV fta etc. but for movies, concerts, sport etc the screen comes down for the larger screen projector experience :) 

Update:

The take up of the Ruipro Fibre optic cables by customers and resellers alike has really been incredible, twice sold out of 10m and 15m, the reviews to our site keep coming, we are over the moon at the results and support from many SN members :).

New shipment arrived Friday 8th Sept. of the Ruipro HDMi Fibre Optic cables but not a lot left after back orders filled, currently have 10m, 15m and a couple of 20m.

So we tried one of the Celerity fiber optic cables at a job and nada - nothing from the Oppo 203 to the UHDTV

Then the boys found this new kit from Kordz called the Neo S3

it comes in a kit with some passive HDMI cables but the magic happens with a set of adaptors on either end that converts a regular HDMI cable into an active one. 

In our case we were able to use the existing passive 1080p cables that was already in the walls so the Neo S3 kit made them 4K compatible.