The Hunt for a 10m HDMI Cable for 4K@60Hz

• Volunteer

Since upgrading my HT gear, including JVC X500, Oppo UDP203 & Marantz AVR 7010 to allow for 4K viewing the one weak link has been the HDMI cable running from the front end to the PJ.

As anyone who has a 4K setup knows it's a hit and miss affair. 

My old 10m HDMI cable was not up to the task so I bought a Kordz PRS 10m active cable, which I am currently using, but it's only good to 10.2Gbps so I am needing to keep the Oppo set at 4:2:0 chroma.  Which doesn't actually adversely effect the PQ however I really want a cable that can handle the full 18Gbps.

I bought a Celerity fibre optic HDMI cable and it worked brilliantly.........for about a month, before it turned it's toes up and refused to even pass a 1080p signal.  :huh:  The other drawback to the Celerity is that it needs to be powered on at least one end and in some circumstances both ends. So the Celerity, which was not cheap by any means, at $395 for the 40'/12.2m cable, was returned for a refund.

I went back to the Kordz and as I said earlier it is what I'm still using now. 

I have been watching the threads on AVS forum discussing long HDMI cables for 4K@60Hz to see what others were using and had been having any luck with.  The one thing that has become apparent is that what works in one system will not necessarily work in another.

There has since been a UK poster who has gone to the trouble of buying cables of many different brands and lengths and testing them.  They have tested 4 of each brand at any particular lengths and the testing is still ongoing. The thread and the test results can be found HERE.

The two brands of cables that came out on top were the Monoprice SlimRun AV HDR Cable and the Ruipro Ultra-Slim HDMI Active Optical Fibre Cable, with the performance on both being identical.  There have been many follow up posts from other users praising the Ruipro cables both before and since the test results were posted.

My issue with buying either cable was having to buy it from OS and any issues that could crop up if needing to return a defective cable.

So following the announcement by Foxy (EZYHD) over the weekend that he would be getting the Ruipro Fibre Optic cables into Australia the decision was made to order one from him for my system, after all I will now be dealing with an Australian seller who I have bought many cables from over the years. 

I can't wait to try this cable in my own system and I am tentatively confident, from all the reviews that this cable might actually operate as advertised.

I will post a follow up review once I have the cable in my system.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

definitely try it kazz, am sure will work. though can tell you 100% the officeworks comsol at 10m also does 4k 50/60 no issue. and at $69 and good guarantee / after sales is also good peace of mind.

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/comsol-high-speed-hdmi-cable-with-ethernet-10m-cohdmi100

one draw back of the cable is it is quite thick...so may not be an option to run in walls under house in ceilings for everyone. works for me though down all, under house and back up into house through wall again. it is a passive cable too so unlikely to fail in use the way some active cables seem to do. so hopefully it is now fit and forget.

and yes I very much agree, i had no intent buying from overseas. having issues and having to return is really not an option. much better to go through a local source/retailer.

very much look forward to reading how the ruipro goes. it sure is a great option 10m and above and cables like 15m for instance there is really no option out there i do believe. 

Edited by :) al

http://www.dtvforum.info/uploads/monthly_2017_07/Ruipro.png.282a202b9fd41f5e5f36234564b7c5f5.png

Many have experienced problems with HDMI running 4K UHD 4:4:4 @ 60Hz, in particular on long runs.

In fact Premium Certified HDMI cables don't go over 7.6m (25ft) and although some cables do work past this point, it's very hit and miss... price of cable has nothing to do with it either.

So these new cables will ensure that 4K UHD can be reliably passed over longer distances, up to 100m.

EzyHD who have been supplying the market here for years will now be the point of call for these new cables in Australia.

JSmith :ninja:

• Like 1

Whilst not exactly an answer Kazz have you talked to Kordz  in Seaford about the non performance of their cable for what you brought it for? They are pretty good of seeing clients right and may offer a refund of sorts, worth a try maybe? Interested in the fibre cable report too.

• Volunteer
2 minutes ago, agelessgoodguy said:

Whilst not exactly an answer Kazz have you talked to Kordz  in Seaford about the non performance of their cable for what you brought it for? They are pretty good of seeing clients right and may offer a refund of sorts, worth a try maybe? Interested in the fibre cable report too.

The Kordz is only rated at 10.2Gbps so it technically does what it's supposed to, it was really a pre 4K cable so I'm not too upset.

the kordz does indeed work and for 99.999% of uhds since there is only one and even that only recently with the billy lyn disc thats 50/60k. so for most will be quite good enough. but yes if wanting to go past that then there are other cables :)

Edited by :) al

Guest EZYHD

Thanks for the heads up here on DTV.

Since the media release this week EZYHD is now the RuiPro Australian Distributor we have been inundated with AV trade enquiries, mainly 4K projector dealers from all over OZ and orders already. Even the previous week, a number arrived from customers on backorder to be posted out next Monday. It was interesting that quite a few did not know a HDMI cable of this type existed, well they do now :D

To see reviews of the RuiPro HDMI Fibre Optic cables this is a good place to start.

Yep i am going through this phase at the moment. I have a 10m concord which is going from my projector to my bluray player and a standard 1.4 out from bluray to marantz bluray input and it works great but it will not go from projector to marantz as i get no signal.I am going to get Als Recommended officeworks as well so i can run from projector to marantz.This very issue can cost you a small fortune so thank god for these forums otherwise i would be pulling my hair out.:)

Edited by drummerboy01

On 7/18/2017 at 10:01 PM, al said:

definitely try it kazz, am sure will work. though can tell you 100% the officeworks comsol at 10m also does 4k 50/60 no issue. and at $69 and good guarantee / after sales is also good peace of mind.

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/comsol-high-speed-hdmi-cable-with-ethernet-10m-cohdmi100

one draw back of the cable is it is quite thick...so may not be an option to run in walls under house in ceilings for everyone. works for me though down all, under house and back up into house through wall again. it is a passive cable too so unlikely to fail in use the way some active cables seem to do. so hopefully it is now fit and forget.

and yes I very much agree, i had no intent buying from overseas. having issues and having to return is really not an option. much better to go through a local source/retailer.

very much look forward to reading how the ruipro goes. it sure is a great option 10m and above and cables like 15m for instance there is really no option out there i do believe. 

Got the cable Al and it works like a charm. I get the feeling I am becoming your clone Al.:)

59 minutes ago, drummerboy01 said:

I think i spoke too soon. I get audio and video with this cable if i go from the pre/pro marantz(arc out), to tv (hdmi in) and bluray (out) to the source hdmi(in) on marantz but not with the projector x5500. I am not getting a video signal via the projector with this method only audio.So what that means is i can not get the marantz menu via the projector or video(bluray disc) Do i need to update my projector with a firmware update at all. This is confusing.

None of that makes sense db. Have to spell out exactly how hooked up and with what components. I don't think you are even running 4k uhd are you so would make no sense if can't pass signal.

coujd be edid selection on pj input but we need to take step at time and need full info :)

you had me confused with ARC out ? looking at the back panel off the marantz I know what you mean now you mean HDM1 Out. it just happens to have the ARC name next to it :)

it doesnt make sense why would get only  video but cannot get audio ? ... I have never ever experienced this !  normally its the video that struggles if there is some handshake or other issue. I suspect there is something else going on here ! 

so alternatively how have you got setup so getting audio and video ?  is that with some other TV ?  not the projector ?

12 minutes ago, al said:

you had me confused with ARC out ? looking at the back panel off the marantz I know what you mean now you mean HDM1 Out. it just happens to have the ARC name next to it :)

it doesnt make sense why would get only  video but cannot get audio ? ... I have never ever experienced this !  normally its the video that struggles if there is some handshake or other issue. I suspect there is something else going on here ! 

so alternatively how have you got setup so getting audio and video ?  is that with some other TV ?  not the projector ?

Yea with the same setup as in diagram with the tv and not projector i get both audio and video just not with the projector. To get audio and video i have to go from projector to dvda1 then to marantz bluray input as shown below but then i cant get the marantz menu on screen as nothing is plugged into the monitor out on marantz. 

IMGP2022.JPG

Very odd. That a 1m hdmi won't work tells me no cable issue going on.

some setting somewhere 

can you try another source ? In case something set in the denon DVD-a1 or i case it's not playing nice with jvc

Can you try other hdmi out from marantz ? What are settings on them ?

• Volunteer
9 minutes ago, al said:

Can you try other hdmi out from marantz ? What are settings on them ?

This  ^^^

It may have something to do with the arc on hdmi 1 out, try hdmi 2 out of the Marantz.

• Volunteer
4 minutes ago, drummerboy01 said:

Ok guys i have it sorted. Does not work in hdmi 1 on the projector but works on hdmi 2 on projector. The marantz is fine as it seems like something wrong with the hdmi 1 input on projector going to marantz arc

Glad to hear it's sorted.  :)

12 minutes ago, Kazz said:

Glad to hear it's sorted.  :)

Thanks Kazz, sorry if i hijacked the thread mate as i was getting frustrated going through many cables also. Well atleast i know there is nothing wrong with my cables. Just hope i have no problem with the jvc projector hdmi1 port.

• Volunteer
10 minutes ago, drummerboy01 said:

I have audio and video and can get marantz menu via projector through hdmi out2 on the projector not hdmi1 on projector.Is this normal or i Will phone jvc tomorrow.

Yeah I can't quite figure out why it's not working on HDMI 1 on the PJ other than maybe it's just not compatible with ARC, as an experiment try HDMI 1 in on the PJ and HDMI 2 out of the Marantz.

Also just as a side note, make sure you are disconnecting power to all the devices when you're swapping HDMI connections.

• Volunteer
9 minutes ago, drummerboy01 said:

Thanks Kazz, sorry if i hijacked the thread mate as i was getting frustrated going through many cables also. Well atleast i know there is nothing wrong with my cables. Just hope i have no problem with the jvc projector hdmi1 port.

No probs at all, hopefully we can help.  :)

See my post above this one re the PJ/Marantz.

12 minutes ago, drummerboy01 said:

I have audio and video and can get marantz menu via projector through hdmi out2 on the projector not hdmi1 on projector.Is this normal or i Will phone jvc tomorrow.

There is a difference with hdmi 1 & 2 on jvc with edid settings :) usually impacted by edid and older pre hdmi 2.0a hdcp 2.2 gear

@IMDave had s bit of grief there too might be able to share dramas and not sure if related to your issues :)