A good projector 1k mark

Hey guys

Looking into buying a full HD projector, im not looking into spending to much as il wait for the 4k PJ to drop in price..

I was very impressed with Epson 5300 on the weekend and have always liked Epson's.. if theres any other brands I should look at please let me know

room will 5910x4150 screen will be placed on th 4150 wall and il be sitting about 5m away from the screen.. il be looking at 120inch as I tested on the weekend at Selby.. there will be only a little window but it will always shut..

il be building a little bar on the left side so the system and screen will be pushed to the right  

Edited by clinton1983

For 1k the Benq is pretty hard to pass up. Its a bit trickier to mount than the Epson 9300. I used to have the w1070. There is a short throw version too w1080st. But these models have been replaced with new models and Im not sure what the new model numbers are. Maybe w1110 or HT2050.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

w1110 wireless maybe interested on this one :) thanks hatlesschimp..

w1110 is the wireless really that good with picture quality? will it out perform epsons 5300

keep up the good work iv been following your post and youtube

Edited by clinton1983

Note, most cheaper projectors are medium or short throw, so you won't be able to mount at the back of the room. I wouldn't recommend a short throw projector like the BenQ W1080ST - they're better for portable setups.

Most cheaper projectors will also have limited (if any) lens shift and typically only vertical lens shift. No horizontal lens shift means you need extra care to center the lens to the screen or use horizontal keystone adjustment (see my comments below re: keystone). Limited (or nil) vertical lens shift means you have to consider whether you'll need to:

1. Mount your screen highish.
  2. Use a projector mount with a down arm.
  3. Tilt the projector and use keystone adjustments to give a rectangular image (I'm not a fan, as you lose resolution and can have image artefacts from the diagonal scaling).

The TW5300 is an option (note is doesn't have any lens shift). For a 120" screen you will be able to mount no further than 3.8m back from the screen. See here to run the numbers.

The other BenQs hatlesschimp mentioned are also decent options. Note the BenQs are all DLPs and the use of a colour wheel can cause a small percentage of the population can see rainbow effects with these. I'm not susceptible and prefer the look of DLP over most LCD panels, but YMMV.

Before you settle on a screen size you might consider projecting on a blank wall for a few weeks - what seems large at first can often seem smallish once you're used to it. I sit 4m from a 130" screen but YMMV.

ok.. i have the benq w1070.. it has been replaced by the w1090 at just under $1000. the thing is benq have dropped vertical lens shift from this model.. some will say who cares but if you dont have an adjustable up/down mount you will.

the next model up the w1110 is around @1200+ and from all accounts is an improvement on the w1090 and has lens shift and more.

but you dont say your expected mount distance.. mine is at 3.1m and gives a 123" screen.. sitting at 5m+ is a long way for a 120" screen imo.. also benq pj's i mentioned are "medium throw" i dont like the pj mounted in front of me as it will be in my peripherals. 

as far as the epson 5300 from all my research it is a fine machine and depending on your mounting position will be great. it will need to be mounted further back than the benq's as it has a longer throw range. but sub $1000 toss a coin.. much like the old ford vs holden thing

i wouldnt sit further than 4m from the screen to allow for better immersion and your rear speakers to be placed correctly

Edited by hopefullguy

hmm then my suggestion would be for the epson 5300... heresy yes but as a benq owner i feel the w1090 is not an improvement on my w1070.

from my readings the eppy 5300 does improve on the 5200.

or you could look at refurbs from benq and epson aust websites.. but few and far between.

lst week on ebay both models were sold 2nd hand with low hours for around $600

4 hours ago, obama said:

thanks guys..

I can mount the PJ anywhere I want its going to be a new build home.. il be sitting anywhere from 3.5m to 5m from 120inch screen so my options are open

With the medium throw projectors you're considering it's probably worthwhile mounting them relatively far back for their throw range. When you go 4K its likely to be a longer throw projector and you have a better chance of avoiding moving mounts and cables.

The size screen and projector models you have in mind should provide sufficient light output that you don't have to worry about mounting as close as possible to get adequate lumens.

On 2/16/2017 at 2:38 PM, obama said:

il be going for Epson 6700w

If you are just wanting a cheaper pj to tide you over until 4K comes down in price a bit and you are keen on Epson, why not look for something priced in between. If you don't mind a low lamp hour second hand unit, you could pick up a 9200 or 8200 for a bit over your original $1k budget but well under the price of a 6700.

On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 2:11 PM, Mikeyday said:

If you are just wanting a cheaper pj to tide you over until 4K comes down in price a bit and you are keen on Epson, why not look for something priced in between. If you don't mind a low lamp hour second hand unit, you could pick up a 9200 or 8200 for a bit over your original $1k budget but well under the price of a 6700.

im open to offers as il be buying it soon next month