Panasonic To Kill Off Plasma

Until a few days ago, I had written off buying this year's models until I realised Panasonic had officially ceased making plasmas - back in October. Should've kept up to date with the various forums!

Finally bought the 50-inch ST60 I had my eye on for a while. Just don't have the room nor budget to go 55-inch or higher. I'll just have to "live with" this. ;)

Trying to buy something post Boxing Day on special while interstate is a challenge. Looking forward to getting this next week when I'm back home. It will be a hassle to move my old 42-inch plasma to the warehouse. Bulky, heavy, and still going strong since 2005. Hopefully it'll go to my mum's place when she moves.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Delivery was $39. Should be delivered via TOLL on Tuesday. The sales guy suggested getting a maxi taxi of I wanted it on the spot. Can't wait for my new toy to replace my Kuro

I'm in! Mine won't be here till next week though. 2nd last in Vic for JB! Have fun today... are you gonna use the break-in slides or just straight into it?

I am not running THX just yet. I am only running on normal or custom modes at the moment. Picture colour is not as good as the Kuro but that is to be expected right now as I am still babying it to avoid image retention. Once I have broken it in I will play with the settings more to get more out of it. One big difference I have noticed is that the Kuro deals with higher light conditions and screen glare much better

What is the recommended disc to use to calibrate nowadays? Setup my P65ST60A about a week ago now and itching to get it as close to perfect as I can without forking out for pro calibration

http://hdguru.com/spears-munsil-2nd-edition-hdtv-set-up-blu-ray-disc-review/

http://www.amazon.com/Spears-Munsil-Benchmark-Calibration-Edition/dp/B00CKWI13O/

JSmith :ninja:

What is the recommended disc to use to calibrate nowadays? Setup my P65ST60A about a week ago now and itching to get it as close to perfect as I can without forking out for pro calibration

I would say none because none of the calibration disc you buy on the market can help in calibrate greyscale, colour space and gamma. I would recommend you download a test pattern disc from www.curtpalme.com , set up your TV's brightness and contrast, just like the set up disc recommended you can't do much with critical setting like greyscale, colour space and gamma without a colorimeter.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder what Owen has to say about that :lol:

Not sure about Owen, but I'd want to know how they defeat any blooming or halo's with only 128 LED's to locally dim. I'm sure the blokes in the review would have noticed this, so it must not be an issue after calibration... however it wasn't raised at all, which is odd.

Assuming you know its 128 LEDs zones. Not just 128 LEDs ;)

Here is some more talk about Panasonic's claims of edge lit also delivering better PQ on AVS from CES 2014

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1510192/panasonic-announces-plasma-level-led-tvs-at-ces-2014

Personally I would be very interested in the full array LED sets, especially of a decent size (75+)

Edited by K1LL3M

Assuming you know its 128 LEDs zones. Not just 128 LEDs ;)

Here is some more talk about Panasonic's claims of edge lit also delivering better PQ on AVS from CES 2014

http://www.avsforum....tvs-at-ces-2014

Personally I would be very interested in the full array LED sets, especially of a decent size (75+)

Yeah, but the whole zone dims... otherwise why split them into "zones"?

Anyway, I am also very interested in this if initial PQ reports are true, particularly 75"+ too... :D

Ok, here's some further technical info on how the new local dimming system works in conjunction with a wider colour gamut.

'In a darkened room at the Panasonic stand in the Las Vegas Convention Center (LVCC), there is a prototype LED LCD display which shows real promise in making good on this statement. The 4K ultra high-definition (UHD) screen features full-array local-dimming direct LED backlighting, as well as two new Panasonic technologies which together have been given a moniker of “Studio Master Drive”.

Intended to address key weaknesses in liquid crystal displays, the two components are called “Super Chroma Drive” and “Black Gradation Drive” respectively. From what we can ascertain at this stage, these are two signal compensation technologies which address the LCD problems of lessened saturation in dark areas (when backlight dimming is used), and the problem of details becoming lost near black. The promotional material on exhibit describes “dynamic image expression close to that of a self-illuminating panel”.

Super Chroma Drive makes use of “an LCD panel with an extremely wide color gamut” and a 3D LUT (look-up table) to present a normal Rec.709 HDTV image correctly even when areas of the screen are dimmed. The excess saturation levels afforded by the wide gamut panel make it possible to retain proper saturation levels when a normal Rec.709 HDTV image is shown with the LEDs dimmed, as would be the case in darkened areas of the locally-dimmed screen.'

http://www.hdtvtest....01401083577.htm

Ok, here's some further technical info on how the new local dimming system works in conjunction with a wider colour gamut.

Sounds interesting. How fast would it need to react in order to make this work I wonder, and what sort of lifespan for the backlight.

“Super Chroma Drive” and “Black Gradation Drive”

First one sounds like a road in Hollywood. Second one maybe they'd avoid completely!

If anyone has the latest edition of Sound & Vision check out the editor Rob Sabin piece on the current state of tv tech. He is fairly highly regarded with all things image quality.

To quote him 'Panasonic's departure will leave a huge hole where affordable, state of the art picture quality used to live. Ultra HDTV lcd displays, which are helping to push plasma off the stage now, combine inferior image quality with additional pixels that are of questionable value at screen sizes less than 75 or 80 inches. OLED's sets hold greater promise, but at a cost so high as to be unattainable by most consumers for what will surely be several years.' Basically he goes on to say grab a Panasonic plasma while you still can.

Interesting comments.

I purchased a 65VT60 while I still could. No way an LCD of any type would be considered.

As did I. When my VT60 dies, if there is still nothing even remotely close in pq or better, I'll go back to using my G10 despite it being 42" and my VT60 being 65".

I'm in! Mine won't be here till next week though. 2nd last in Vic for JB! Have fun today... are you gonna use the break-in slides or just straight into it?

I ordered an ST50 a few weeks ago, got a price close the the Dick Smith $997 from HN. The TV is still sitting at HN as I don't have a TV stand for it, gotta get a stand first before I can get it delivered.

What are the break in slides that you've mentioned? I recall reading that you were supposed to break in Plasma TV's a coulple years ago, but didn't think that it was necessary on the newer models. What should you be doing? And is it still the first 200 hours that you should be careful with it?

Edited by IceZeroZero9

I have a pana 50 whatevermodel about two years old and never did any breaking in stuff. In fact since getting a Smart TV dongle it often sits for a half an hour on an Android "desktop" screen and no problems with any ghosting or burn in.

For anyone North Sydney, Central Coast, Newcastle or Mid North Coast, Bing Lee in Taree still have stocks of fifties and sixties.

I ordered an ST50 a few weeks ago, got a price close the the Dick Smith $997 from HN. The TV is still sitting at HN as I don't have a TV stand for it, gotta get a stand first before I can get it delivered.

What are the break in slides that you've mentioned? I recall reading that you were supposed to break in Plasma TV's a coulple years ago, but didn't think that it was necessary on the newer models. What should you be doing? And is it still the first 200 hours that you should be careful with it?

I did nothing like that when I got my plasma, I ran it as normal in movie mode ( I have Samsung) and even calibrated using chromapure, colorimeter and computer. Calibrated again after about 1 month.