Want To Get A Pvr - Help Needed

Am looking to get rid of Foxtel with IQ, and get a PVR. Basically my needs are fairly simple but after reading various posts here am confused especially with features and acronyms - TAP TMS JustEPG etc.

I do not require the ability to display photos, music etc. I simply need 2 HD tuners, time shift and an easy program guide with a responsive remote preferably with ad skipping or a fast FF. Are inbuilt electronic guides similar across different PVRs and are they easy to use. I am aware that I can subscribe to ICE but would prefer not to. I would also like to keep a program occasionally so happy to download to a DVD recorder or PC. I am happy to spend around $500 to achieve this but may go to more if worth it - the HD capacity would not have to be great say max of 320 -500Gb.

Ideally would like similar functionality and ease of use of the IQ remote and Foxtel program guide IE to select a program up to a week ahead and record with one button press and if it is a series have it automatically record each time it comes on. I suspect there may be 3rd party solutions to do this with various PVRs but would prefer not to have to get into firmware upgrades, downloads, or permanent connection to the PC.

I am aware of Freeview but believe that there are problems downloading and ad skipping and possibly other restrictions. Also does Tivo require a permanent connection to the Internet as I do not leave my modem/router on 24/7. Are there any ongoing fees with Tivo as there is with the ICE service.

Thanks in advance

Am looking to get rid of Foxtel with IQ, and get a PVR. Basically my needs are fairly simple but after reading various posts here am confused especially with features and acronyms - TAP TMS JustEPG etc.

I do not require the ability to display photos, music etc. I simply need 2 HD tuners, time shift and an easy program guide with a responsive remote preferably with ad skipping or a fast FF. Are inbuilt electronic guides similar across different PVRs and are they easy to use. I am aware that I can subscribe to ICE but would prefer not to. I would also like to keep a program occasionally so happy to download to a DVD recorder or PC. I am happy to spend around $500 to achieve this but may go to more if worth it - the HD capacity would not have to be great say max of 320 -500Gb.

Ideally would like similar functionality and ease of use of the IQ remote and Foxtel program guide IE to select a program up to a week ahead and record with one button press and if it is a series have it automatically record each time it comes on. I suspect there may be 3rd party solutions to do this with various PVRs but would prefer not to have to get into firmware upgrades, downloads, or permanent connection to the PC.

I am aware of Freeview but believe that there are problems downloading and ad skipping and possibly other restrictions. Also does Tivo require a permanent connection to the Internet as I do not leave my modem/router on 24/7. Are there any ongoing fees with Tivo as there is with the ICE service.

Thanks in advance

Your needs and price range seem ideally suited to a Topfield 7160.

Also does Tivo require a permanent connection to the Internet as I do not leave my modem/router on 24/7. Are there any ongoing fees with Tivo as there is with the ICE service.

Thanks in advance

Yeah mate TiVo needs to be connected 24/7 so that it can update the EPG, Movie on demand (Caspa) 3D Content etc, the only other way around it would be to turn off your modem etc and when you next go to use the tivo just do a forced connection, if you have high speed internet, then it will only take a few minutes. I have a TiVo and i also have a Beyonwiz DP-P2 that i had ICE on for a year....i don't use ice anymore as it was giving me more issues than i could handle, i now just use the STD FTA Guide and set it up to record the shows i want daily or weekly etc ...plus with the Beyonwiz DP-P2 you can input your pay tv and record shows from Foxtel (or in my case Austar) while watching other FTA channels or shows that have been recorded earlier. Hope this helps....i love the TiVo, because of what it has but i also love the Wiz as it can record Pay.

Your needs and price range seem ideally suited to a Topfield 7160.

I personally would not recommend a Topfield. My friend and I both have topfield PVR's (different models) and we both have problems with the machine failing to record occasionally. Mine did it tonight infact, failing to record the simpsons and that 70's show. The fact it is happening on two completely different models confirms to me that problems are common with this brand.

- biggest mistake I ever made IMO was buying a Topfield -

Edited by yabbal

Hi,

Which models were these?

7100+?

Cheers,

K.

I personally would not recommend a Topfield. My friend and I both have topfield PVR's (different models) and we both have problems with the machine failing to record occasionally. Mine did it tonight infact, failing to record the simpsons and that 70's show. The fact it is happening on two completely different models confirms to me that problems are common with this brand.

I personally would not recommend a Topfield.

The Topfield 5000 did (after some firmware upgrades) become a perfectly reliable PVR, and with a few TAPs was even better.

My 7100HD+ has not quite achieved that level of reliablity, but (along with a few other Toppy HD models) it is breaking new ground with four-service recording so, as was the 5000, it is "bleeding edge" technology. The FF is definitely leaps and bounds ahead of the 5000. I'm confident that Topfield are actively addressing the issues that have come up and they will have resolutions in new firmware.

I'm confident that Topfield are actively addressing the issues that have come up and they will have resolutions in new firmware.

I'm not - The latest firmware for mine is from 2008 and a number of people have been complaining about it on the topfield forums for while, so I have given up hope of ever getting an update.

Which models were these?

I'm not sure of the model my friend has (it is a twin tuner SD model), but mine is a TF7050HDRt.

But regardless of the model, the lack of action from topfield to fix the issues has left me with the feeling that I would be taking a gamble to buy from them again.

I'm not - The latest firmware for mine is from 2008 and a number of people have been complaining about it on the topfield forums for while, so I have given up hope of ever getting an update.

Yes there were a couple of total lemon models in there, and I do sympathise that you had the misfortune to purchase one of them. I think things have turned around since then, although I agree there should have been better support, from what I have read.

What problems have you encountered with the 7100+ thus far? or have heard reports of? Not recording sometimes?

The Topfield 5000 did (after some firmware upgrades) become a perfectly reliable PVR, and with a few TAPs was even better.

My 7100HD+ has not quite achieved that level of reliablity, but (along with a few other Toppy HD models) it is breaking new ground with four-service recording so, as was the 5000, it is "bleeding edge" technology. The FF is definitely leaps and bounds ahead of the 5000. I'm confident that Topfield are actively addressing the issues that have come up and they will have resolutions in new firmware.

What problems have you encountered with the 7100+ thus far? or have heard reports of? Not recording sometimes?

Personally, I have had it freeze and spontaneously reboot once and losing a recording that was in progress (although this happened while I was using a TAP that is in beta, so maybe the TAP and not the box itself responsible. I won't mention here what TAP, PG :P

On some occasions, not being able to FF/REW or otherwise navigate while recordings are happening.

There's an issue with four overlapping timers on different muxes - well the timers themselves don't overlap but the padding does... the box will truncate the earlier recording to accommodate a later one, but will erroneously report the durations of the truncated recordings.

More on the Topfield forums.

Having said that, it has not failed to record on any timers.

I've got a Panasonic DMRXW450. Twin HD tuners, 7-day EPG. NEVER missed a recording (that hasn't been my fault). Can archive out to DVD after editing out commercials. Plays back divx off usb stick. NOT Freeview compliant ie better that way for add-skipping. Time-shifts. Been bullet-proof for reliability.

Things I don't like: can't output to USB stick any recorded programs, slower to change menus than my STB, has ethernet, but is only good for looking up music cd information off the internet, bit pricey.