New Strong Pvr - Srt-5492

Sorry, I don't use IceTV. Don't even know what it does. ^_^

ICETV gives you the ability to schedule recordings over the internet, also gives a better EPG as it downloads all channels for 5 days at a time..

Anyway partly solved, my unit when I scan channels creates duplicated i.e. sbs3 and sbs4 have the same id as sbs1 so deleted them, one hd and abc1 were just duplicated (why the strong does this i don't know). So I manually configured my stations on the strong and now icetv works much better.

I do still have a problem if I turn the unit off and immediately back on again (unauthorised error) but if I wait it eventually works again.. They need to sort that apprently on the ICETV forums it was an error they used to have and fixed in a previous firmware (I guess it is back again?)

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rightarmbad
UHF2

Please Send me both versions

Thanks

Hi, could you email me 1.15 please?

I cannot pm you I presume because I haven't been posting on this site and haven't logged in for a couple of years.

My brother and I both have new units and would like to try the new firmware.

SRT 5492

darylduk at tpg dot com dot au

Hi, could you email me 1.15 please?

I cannot pm you I presume because I haven't been posting on this site and haven't logged in for a couple of years.

My brother and I both have new units and would like to try the new firmware.

SRT 5492

darylduk at tpg dot com dot au

Firmware sent

I do still have a problem if I turn the unit off and immediately back on again (unauthorised error) but if I wait it eventually works again.. They need to sort that apprently on the ICETV forums it was an error they used to have and fixed in a previous firmware (I guess it is back again?)

Well I did get somewhere, I guess..

I email strong support who said I should email ICETV support.. So I emailed them and they responded that it is a known bug in the 5492 if the unit is turned off and then on again too quickly (not sure how much of a gap you need), and that Strong know about it and will hopefully patch it one day.. Funny that Strong support didn't know that and just sent me to ICETV support...

I will say all in all it is NOT a bad unit, almost all other units at this price point either don't support ICETV or have more problems... It is just these little bugs need to be sorted before they release the new model 5495A and possibly lose interest in finishing off the remaining problems...

Edited by joele

Having finally got the go ahead to get one for father's day I was just about to go and buy the 5492 on special at my local HN for $385 but having waded through these posts this morning can anyone give me a straight answer... Should I get the 5492 or wait for the 5495A or should I look at others eg Topfield MAsterpiece etc...

Please help before the offer to buy one is retracted..

Thx

Having finally got the go ahead to get one for father's day I was just about to go and buy the 5492 on special at my local HN for $385 but having waded through these posts this morning can anyone give me a straight answer... Should I get the 5492 or wait for the 5495A or should I look at others eg Topfield MAsterpiece etc...

Please help before the offer to buy one is retracted..

Thx

I have the 5492 and a Beyonwiz DP-Lite.. The 5492 is OK for my personal use, it works most of the time but does have a number of little 'bugs' and new firmwares fix some bugs but cause others..

The DP-Lite is ideal for the loungeroom in my home, though a little less featured (no front panel display) it operates MUCH quieter than the 5492, and is MUCH more stable, I actually haven't found a single bug yet. (In the 5492 I noticed problems, albeit small ones, from day one). It also has nice features like automatically returning to standby if it comes on to record something when no one is home. The 5492 can go to standby after recording but you have to manually set auto-off on each recording which is useless if you use ICETV to set recordings.

I would be hesitant to buy the new 5495A model as I fear it may be a little less stable on release than the current model which has undergone a number of firmware updates to provide stability, and in my experience still has problems.

The DP-Lite costs a little more, most people I have seen online say they negotiate at JBHIFI for one and manage to get it at around $460..

Edited by joele

I have the 5492 and a Beyonwiz DP-Lite.. The 5492 is OK for my personal use, it works most of the time but does have a number of little 'bugs' and new firmwares fix some bugs but cause others..

The DP-Lite is ideal for the loungeroom in my home, though a little less featured (no front panel display) it operates MUCH quieter than the 5492, and is MUCH more stable, I actually haven't found a single bug yet. (In the 5492 I noticed problems, albeit small ones, from day one). It also has nice features like automatically returning to standby if it comes on to record something when no one is home. The 5492 can go to standby after recording but you have to manually set auto-off on each recording which is useless if you use ICETV to set recordings.

I would be hesitant to buy the new 5495A model as I fear it may be a little less stable on release than the current model which has undergone a number of firmware updates to provide stability, and in my experience still has problems.

The DP-Lite costs a little more, most people I have seen online say they negotiate at JBHIFI for one and manage to get it at around $460..

From advice (much appreciated) in this forum, I bought the Beyonwiz-lite for our bedroom, and it is great. My only complaints are that the blue light is too bright, and there is no red light showing that it is recording. But it works great. After upgrading the 5492 firmware to 1.15, I found that most of the bugs have been ironed out. The sound still cuts out on time shift when I record channel 1 HD, but I just press the volume up button to work around that.

From advice (much appreciated) in this forum, I bought the Beyonwiz-lite for our bedroom, and it is great. My only complaints are that the blue light is too bright, and there is no red light showing that it is recording. But it works great. After upgrading the 5492 firmware to 1.15, I found that most of the bugs have been ironed out. The sound still cuts out on time shift when I record channel 1 HD, but I just press the volume up button to work around that.

It would be nice if Beyonwiz at least put a red led on the front panel to show it is recording, I agree 100% with that, but I can live without it.. I do also like that it automatically shuts down after a recording if it comes on to record and no one presses any buttons until it finishes.. It means when I am away it will come on and off to record shows as it needs to..

I think the 5492 v1.15 volume issue effects all HD channels?

Any more info on the new Strong 5495a.. I see it advertised on two sites but not yet on the Strong website...

Going for $449 ... on a certain website.

Strong 5495A 500GB Twin tuner DVBT HD PVR DVR, 1080P resolution, AV & YPbPr line input, Record PayTV. Media player. LAN, USB, SD, HDMI, S-Video

I have pre ordered one through Harvey Norman @ $419. Have been informed that there is a hold up in the shipment and they are not expected to arrive until the end of September.

I have pre ordered one through Harvey Norman @ $419. Have been informed that there is a hold up in the shipment and they are not expected to arrive until the end of September.

I see this morning the 5495A is appearing on the Strong home page.

Also the 1.15 firmware is on the Software Update page.

Edited by E+J

Also the 1.15 firmware is on the Software Upsite page.

Unfortunately it has the same MD5 as the test 1.15 firmware going around, so still some annoying bugs, for me anyway..

Actually found another problem with 1.15, when scheduling from ICETV the show names come through for 7,9,10 but ABC (and I think SBS) just shows the channel name not the show title. I don't think it is a ICETV issue as sending the same shows to my DP-lite works fine (with correct title).

Edited by joele

Unfortunately it has the same MD5 as the test 1.15 firmware going around, so still some annoying bugs, for me anyway..

So can anyone confirm that the latest 1.15 firmware on Strongs website is the same version as the Beta version that's been going around the traps now for a few weeks or have the reported issues with 1.15 been addressed before it's been officially released?

Ok you have pre ordered at Harvey Norman @ $419 that's better than $439, what HN store did you place your Order. Thanks

I thought that I would let the good folk on on this forum know about an interesting experience I had recently. Because I have enough recording capacity (including the blessed Strong 5492) to satisfy most of my needs, I decided to have some fun and take a punt on this device. Check it out :

http://www.crazysales.com.au/high-definiti...ack_p17033.html

I actually got it for $46.95 on special. For that price, even it it turned out to be crap, what the heck. (It is now around $58.00. ).

Well I was utterly amazed at how good it was. The unit is neat,professional with a delightfully simple remote. The picture was excellent. The device was a pleasure to use and interact with. The familiarisation period was very brief - unlike the Strong. I've only had it for a few days and it has not missed a beat. No patches, downloads, updates etc etc. It has recorded and replayed beautifully.

With this device (brand name 'Lennox' which I've only vaguely heard of) you need:

an external USB HDD (max size 1 TB - that's an awful lot of hours)

OR a USB stick drive (max size a much more modest 12 GB but still quite a few hours).

Everything depends on what your recording needs are as to what you use.

I had a 80 GB ext. hdd lying around not doing all that much work so I used it. Worked brilliantly for record and re-play.

Storage devices of either type are quite cheap these days. Crazy Sales sells a 1 TB Samsung for around $89.00 if you want to go that far. This is cheaper than anything I've seen on eBay. And no, I do not have shares in Crazy Sales.

Another good thing for me was the fact that I could simply take my USB drive to my computer and edit and burn whatever I liked.

This is a single HD tuner receiver but it meets my 'additional' recording needs beautifully. I still cannot believe I got this great little device for this price.

A couple of improvements are desirable :

The device has to be left on all the time : it does not turn on and off according to the scheduled recording times. But it only uses a small amount of power anyway. My USB HDD goes into standby after a while.

I would like to be able to name, in advance, the program I'm going to record but there seems to be no facility for this.

Anyway, I've only had this for a couple of days so I might find the solutions after a further play.

I'm only presenting this to all you guys for the sake of info. Nothing else. Your needs may be totally differnt from mine.

Hi All,

We bought a 5492 some time back and have generally been happy with it. A few little bugs but nothing insurmountable. Last night we went to record something and a message came up indicating the hard drive was almost full. We checked the program list and only have 12 or so propgrams recorded (granted 2 were for over 4 hours each) but I would have thought that with a 500Gb hard drive we would have been plenty of space.

I deleted a few programs we had already watched and it seems that when highlighting the program before deletion it says it is 3.6Gb in size but then after deletion there doesn't seem to be an extra 3.6Gb of free space on the hard drive. Is there something else I need to do to ensure the programs are fully deleted from the drive?

Thanks in advance,

Mark CH

I have had a few instances (I am on 1.14) where I set it to record a program (always seems to be on 7Two) and when I go to bed it is happily recording - and the next day I find that not only did it not do the recording but it has wiped existing recordings. Anyone else seem that? Does 1.15 fix it?

I have had a few instances (I am on 1.14) where I set it to record a program (always seems to be on 7Two) and when I go to bed it is happily recording - and the next day I find that not only did it not do the recording but it has wiped existing recordings. Anyone else seem that? Does 1.15 fix it?

Simple answer....Poltergeists!

Is the srt5492 recorded in one of the common file format. eg avi, rmvb. mpeg4 etc.. If not, what tools can I used to convert it to the common format.

Thanks.

It records in transport format (trp) so apps like ProjectX and VideoRedo can open/recode