Sevens Second Sd Channel, What Should It Be Like?

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seven may do a movies channel that would be great, they may use the hd channel. I really feel it will be general entertainment like 9s go channel i hope its something different.

i like your idea about a movie channel, and i was just thinking that channel 7 could have 3 'real' channel, by moving alot of content already on 7 to 7HD, like their prime time shows and show a mix of movies and then on 7SD1 they could show other shows which are not in Hd such as the amazing race and family guy and other repeats and on 7SD2 they could do a movie channel like you said or a news channel, if they do decide to do a news channel i would think they would move more in the directing of different content on both 7SD1 & 7HD but i don't really think they would move lets say a 7:30pm & 8:30pm 7SD1 show to 7HD leaving room for other content on 7SD1, but i can hope.

looking at the july 27th program it would go something like this.

7 SD1/Analogue

6pm: News

6:30: Comedy classics

7pm: How I Met Your Mother (to compete against two and a half men)

7:30: Other prime time shows(like encores of amazing race, lost, Desperate Housewives etc)

8pm: King of the hill

8:30: Family guy

9pm: American Dad

9:30: Other prime time shows(like encores of amazing race, lost, Desperate Housewives etc)

10:30: The Jonathan Ross Show

11:30: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

7HD - As much content in HD, all HD content would be moved to this network, with very limited content also showing on 7SD1

6pm: News

6:30: TT

7pm: Home and away

7:30: How I Met Your Mother

8pm: How I Met Your Mother(cont.)

8:30: Desperate Housewives

9:30: Brothers & Sisters

10:30: Late movie

12AM: The jay leno show

And 7SD2 could be used for a movie channel, news channel or 'youth' channel.

What do you think???

tess1988,

you have no idea.

lots of viewers are still using analogue, if 7 did the above, their phones would ring off the hook with complaints from viewers about their favourite shows being moved to HD only, it'd also mean death for those shows as there isn't a large enough viewer base with HD tuners for the advertisers to pay the rates that 7 needs.

tess1988,

you have no idea.

lots of viewers are still using analogue, if 7 did the above, their phones would ring off the hook with complaints from viewers about their favourite shows being moved to HD only, it'd also mean death for those shows as there isn't a large enough viewer base with HD tuners for the advertisers to pay the rates that 7 needs.

digitalj, i don't mean now i mean when analogue is turned off, i do agree that if their isn't the 'viewer base with HD tuners' it wont happen, you can see that now with the HD breakaway programs on 7HD now, not be able to find advertisers for the programs, but i would say that at least 60% of digital tuners would be HD by 2013, wouldn't you?. now thats just a guess and it could even be lower just because who knows how many houses will have SD foxtel by then, so i do know where you are coming from but we could see more 'breakaway' programing on 7HD in the future or we could see no/none 'breakaway' programing on 7HD we will just have to wait and see.

Alot of people want King of the Hill, Family Guy and American Dad on every night.

So 7, take note. This would be really good!

Maybe buy Futurama back from 10?.. they don't seem to show it that often?

i really hope they do to, i would love to see King of the Hill, Family Guy and American Dad every night or at least Mon-Thursday nights and Sundays as well, their are alot of eps of all these programs, not sure about american dad but you could always switch it around with another show, i know in america fox gets very good raiting when they show all 3 or 4 in one night, and looking at the ratings shows like family guy are usually number 1 or at least in the top 10 after sport on foxtel so i don't see why i couldn't work and it would be taking viewers away from 10 and Go more then 7 i would think, and if i was 7 i would try to buy back Futurama back from 10 but i dont see that happening and i dont think they really need to anyway for a new channel.

Hi tess1988

i think thats a great idea, analogue will be history soon. i would love a movie channel and a news channel with analogue gone 7 could multichannel 4 or 5 channels if future legislation allows, so we could get movies, news.

I was thinking a news channel would be great, late at night say from 10pm a news channel could have talk back tv, much like radio on the telly. i dont know how it could work or even if its been tried before. it may be really funny and entertaining you know discussing the day events, with reporters asking random people for opinions, 3g video calls sms traffic

What do you reckon?

I think all the fta should have a mirror hd channels

abc1 sd - abc1 hd

abc2 sd - abc2 hd

abc3 sd - abc3 hd

7sd1 - 7hd1

7sd2 - 7hd2

7sd3 - 7hd3

9sd1 - 9hd2

go!sd - go!hd

And so on

i think 1 analogue channel is about 10 to 12 sd channels so you could get 3 sd channels and 3 hd channels not sure if this is technically correct maybe someone could help out here

Hi tess1988

i think thats a great idea, analogue will be history soon. i would love a movie channel and a news channel with analogue gone 7 could multichannel 4 or 5 channels if future legislation allows, so we could get movies, news.

I was thinking a news channel would be great, late at night say from 10pm a news channel could have talk back tv, much like radio on the telly. i dont know how it could work or even if its been tried before. it may be really funny and entertaining you know discussing the day events, with reporters asking random people for opinions, 3g video calls sms traffic

What do you reckon?

Yes i would love a Australian news channel like that, i just wish sky news was like that but its not, if you ever get the chance to watch fox news i would because its like a radio station on tv 24/7 and its 90% discussing and very little pre-recorded content, and they cross to reporters and other people such as lawyers or people who write books, people who work in government etc. to get their options on the days news and the host of the shows which is why you turn to the channel in the first place also have their opinions, and they always have someone else on as well that disagrees with them, its like no other news channel in the world, but their is alot of people out their who dislike fox news because the host do have their opinions and not everyone agrees with them, but overall its number 1 in the US by alot but as far as radom people goes it could work and 3g calls are very low quitly but if you did from time to time i think it could do very well.

Check this video out from yesterday or the day before, some guy was trying to hook up with the host of the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWHq6v2tfP0

michael 07,

no, an analogue channel and a digital channel both use 7MHz of bandwidth, 7MHz combined with DVB-T using 8k, 1/16, 3/4, 64QAM will give ~23Mbps, while MPEG-2 is the video codec, it will be quite a squeeze to get 1 HD channel and 2 SD channels. If MPEG-4 were used, there's no reason why you couldn't do the following:

ABC1

ABC2

ABC3

ABCHD (plays all programs from all SD channels that are available in native HD)

7-1

7-2

7-3

7-HD (plays all programs from all SD channels that are available in native HD)

GO!

9/GO! HD (plays all programs from all SD channels that are available in native HD) (this one could be achieved though without needing MPEG-4, though MPEG-4 would allow much better PQ including the ability for HD to be 1920x1080i.)

etc

Funny as, exactly, thats what im talkin about, but with Australian accents. yes 3g is low quality i know but could work. I use to have foxtel, but now have selectv and i totally miss fox news, would be good to say watch all the capital city news programmes say brisbane at 6pm Sydney at 6:30 Melbourne at 7pm Hobart at 7:30 Adelaide 8 Perth at 8:30 that migh be ok too.

michael 07,

no, an analogue channel and a digital channel both use 7MHz of bandwidth, 7MHz combined with DVB-T using 8k, 1/16, 3/4, 64QAM will give ~23Mbps, while MPEG-2 is the video codec, it will be quite a squeeze to get 1 HD channel and 2 SD channels. If MPEG-4 were used, there's no reason why you couldn't do the following:

ABC1

ABC2

ABC3

ABCHD (plays all programs from all SD channels that are available in native HD)

7-1

7-2

7-3

7-HD (plays all programs from all SD channels that are available in native HD)

GO!

9/GO! HD (plays all programs from all SD channels that are available in native HD) (this one could be achieved though without needing MPEG-4, though MPEG-4 would allow much better PQ including the ability for HD to be 1920x1080i.)

etc

Well that cleared that up thanks for that i will check those links out thanks again

i really hope they do to, i would love to see King of the Hill, Family Guy and American Dad every night or at least Mon-Thursday nights and Sundays as well, their are alot of eps of all these programs, not sure about american dad but you could always switch it around with another show, i know in america fox gets very good raiting when they show all 3 or 4 in one night, and looking at the ratings shows like family guy are usually number 1 or at least in the top 10 after sport on foxtel so i don't see why i couldn't work and it would be taking viewers away from 10 and Go more then 7 i would think, and if i was 7 i would try to buy back Futurama back from 10 but i dont see that happening and i dont think they really need to anyway for a new channel.

7 should take a look at the iTunes top 10 for TV shows.

Those figures don't lie about Family Guy. People are willing to buy Family Guy to watch it when they want. Every night is a good compromise. Come to think of it.. American Dad could in theory be switched with Futurama every night?.. I'm really not sure about that one... you bring up a good point.

If 7 did go ahead with this plan.. it would really make 10 quake in their boots. In my honest opinion, 7 will get a huge audience! This audience might then go ahead and check out some of 7's other programming. Hence, why it's a good idea for 7.

Edited by dagrimdialer619

7 should take a look at the iTunes top 10 for TV shows.

Those figures don't lie about Family Guy. People are willing to buy Family Guy to watch it when they want. Every night is a good compromise. Come to think of it.. American Dad could in theory be switched with Futurama every night?.. I'm really not sure about that one... you bring up a good point.

If 7 did go ahead with this plan.. it would really make 10 quake in their boots. In my honest opinion, 7 will get a huge audience! This audience might then go ahead and check out some of 7's other programming. Hence, why it's a good idea for 7.

yeah, agree 100%, it would take viewers away from 10 for sure, if i was 7 i would put them in prime time and you could even show them in the daytime as well, they used to show family guy at 11am on 7 some years ago, and also if they did put family guy and king of the hill in prime time they wouldn't have to find different programing every night of the week, thats 5hrs gone at least.

And i also agree that all you have to do is look at the itunes top tv shows to find out that people are willing to pay for Family Guy and thats saying something when fox8 has it on weekdays at 6:45pm or so, and i dont see why it wouldn't do even better on FTA, i bet alot of people would choose the family guy over the Simpsons any day if they had the choice and i bet you would see channel 10 try and compete against it even if its only for a while.

Also looking in the itunes top tv shows, Hannah Montana, Kyle XY, geek, Summer highes high, South park, Scrubs, Dora the Explore & also True blood and the Tudors, even so i wont watch all of thoes shows and i think Kyle XY & geek have been canacled it does show that Hannah Montana & Dora the Explore could work on a channel and i would also think that Scrubs would also work and channel 7 has a deal with 'Disney' so all these shows are possible as far as i know(if im wrong please tell me) and i know Channel 9 has the rights to shows like True blood and i think the Tudors and they are already showing on Showcase but i would really like to see these shows on FTA at one time.

Now that we know Seinfeld's going to be on weeknights at 8pm on Go, Scrubs could be on at the same time on 7SD2.

What do you think Famnily guy should be on 7SD2, 6pm or 7:30pm, 8:30pm or should it be on later like 10:30pm, and do you think it should also be shown in the daytime of isn't this a kids show?

o and i would also like to see Skins, i know its already been on SBS but i missed most of it and you do have 24hrs to fill.

What do you think Famnily guy should be on 7SD2, 6pm or 7:30pm, 8:30pm or should it be on later like 10:30pm, and do you think it should also be shown in the daytime of isn't this a kids show?

In my opinion Family Guy should be shown in prime time on 7SD2. The new episodes of Family Guy should stay in the late night time slot on 7SD1.. or better still, moved to 7:30 to compete with the new Simpsons episodes ;). That would be a very bold move by 7.. and might even get publicity on a slow news day (or via some beat up cross promotion on Today Tonight). 7SD2 could also showcase an "adults only" Family Guy, possibly shown on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday night.

A suggestion regarding this:

If 7SD1 showed new episodes of Family Guy on a late Thursday night, it would make a lot of sense to show the "adults only" episodes on a late Friday night (using 7SD2).

ok.. here's a mock schedule. Let's say the day is Friday.. and this is TGIF programming. The + means weekly programming.

16:30 = Ripley's Believe it or Not

17:00 = American Dad

17:30 = Family Guy (at the same time, King of the Hill could be on 7 HD?)

18:00 = (A discussion based news/current affairs program of some sort?.. basically.. like a totally new radical form of news?. Contact me if anyone wants to brainstorm ideas)... Usually my ideas are pretty popular with everyone.

18:30 = Scrubs

19:00 = Home and Away

19:30 = Top Gear + (You should buy this off SBS).

20:30 = The Merrick and Rosso Show +

21:00 = Drew Carey (or something loosely similar - like Friends) +

A few changes:

Some people obviously want to see King of the Hill.. and it was a dumb idea to have it competing with Family Guy. Soooo...

17:00 = King of the Hill

17:30 = American Dad

18:00 = Family Guy

18:30 = Scrubs

swapping Scrubs around with King of the Hill it looks like:

17:00 = Scrubs

17:30 = King of the Hill

18:30 = American Dad

Incorporating Futurama into this mock day:

17:00 = Futurama

18:30 = King of the Hill

19:00 = Scrubs

It would be very hard to decide which cartoons would go where. There are an endless number of combinations. A few options in the above mock might be:

17:00 = American Dad

17:30 = Futurama

or even:

18:30 = Futurama

^

|

|

edit: On second thought I like that one alot!

if 7 knows what's good for them, they should base this channel on giving people what they want. If they give people what they want, then there will be more money from advertisers. 1+1=2.. not 3.

I don't want to see Home and Away on 7SD2 if they launch a general entertainment channel. Would be a waste for it to be on three channels at once.

I do like the rumor that's been going around on other forums if they did a mixture of news , current affair and lifestyle and not general entertainment. It will be a nice change. That's what I would like to see but it's only a rumor.

I don't want to see Home and Away on 7SD2 if they launch a general entertainment channel. Would be a waste for it to be on three channels at once.

I do like the rumor that's been going around on other forums if they did a mixture of news , current affair and lifestyle and not general entertainment. It will be a nice change. That's what I would like to see but it's only a rumor.

i don't watch Home and Away so it doesn't really matter and i hope they don't show it but it could work well for 7 if they replayed it on the weekend, lets say Mon/tues eps from Saturdays at 5pm and Wed/Thurs & Fridays eps on a Sunday at 5pm, or they could replay them each day at say 11pm and they could show some other 'drama' type show/or whatever type of show home and a way with before it at 10:30pm but i hope they don't.

Um as far as the rumor goes about 7 doing a channel with a mixture of news, current affair and lifestyle goes, i would like to see that happen, but not the same thing every 30mins like sky news is and i would not like them to call it a "news channel" if it has lifestyle programing, NBC Dateline and TT is fine with me, but saying that i would rather see another 'youth network', but i want it to be a real one and not change overtime and include other programing(such as lifestyle shows), but now saying that we already/will have a 'youth network' so i something else might be better.

Something like New York Nonstop maybe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Nonstop

Also im guessing it if it was a News channel that it would be 'nation wide', well at least where channel 7 owns the stations, or who here would like it to be 'state wide/city'? and im guessing they could show some docs as well.

All i want is a real news channel and not the same 30mins of the news repeated every hour and other 'US News program' just because they have nothing else to play like Sky news is.

ahh sorry.. you guys misunderstood.

Home and Away might be something they'd want to only put on SD2 to "make" people want to switch to digital.

Just a suggestion.

edit: Who watches Home and Away anyway??

Home and Away might be something they'd want to only put on SD2 to "make" people want to switch to digital.

that'll never happen, because it's shows like Home and Away that bring the money in for networks, moving the top rating shows to SD2 will just result in a lot less people watching, hence much less money for the networks.

The day Top Gear moves to another channel (7 especially) will go down as the worst day in Australian TV history!

18:30 = Futurama

As for this... *drools*

that'll never happen, because it's shows like Home and Away that bring the money in for networks, moving the top rating shows to SD2 will just result in a lot less people watching, hence much less money for the networks.

I guess so, but that was partially my point. It would be a bold move to get people to buy STB's.

edit: hmmm.. you're right. I still think the cartoons should be prime time though. It's much better than showing them late at night and it competes with The Simpsons.

Definitely like the movie channel idea.

As the article says:

Ten, Nine and Seven would have launched channels in the three genres which drive pay TV subscriptions: sports, general entertainment and movies.

Good idea imo.

If they can't do an all movie channel they should prob do a mix like 9.