Help A Noob Buy Some Speakers!

Hey everyone,

I know this question gets asked to no end and I was going to try and avoid asking but man, after a week or two of research I am in struggletown!!!!!

I have a bravia x series 40 inch (3100 model), a ps3 (connected to my tv but also streams stuff from my pc through tversity) and thats about it. I'm gonna buy a pvr or play tv soon but thats another story.

Thing is, I think im gonna go ahead and buy the onkyo 606 reciever because i am so keen so hear some hd audio (blu ray movies, CALL OF DUTY 4, killzone 2 etc) Also, my girlfriend wants to be able to easily plu in her ipod touch when she gets home from work and become immersed in the music.

So here's the thing. I just don't know what speakers to buy. I know everyone will say 'just go and listen and decide for yourself'. But i need a bit more direction because I'm just sales bait when im in electronic stores! I have about 2000-2500 to spend (not including the reciever in this, thats another budget) and I want some speakers that will blow me away (sound quality wise, not volume wise!). I really want to get the full effect of the hd audie like PCM and Truehd etc and it would be nice if they were THX certified but it's not totally necessary.

Basically I was hoping some people could spit out some model numbers, not just brands, of some speakers for me to take to my local jb or something. I can deal with just getting two floorstanders, a center and a quality sub woofer but if people can find me a quality 5.1 or 7.1 speaker series for this price I'd greatly appreciate it. I've heard that, if you don't get the right speakers, it's hard to hear the difference between hd audie and dts or whatever so I don't wanna screw up this purchase.

Man, buying the tv was so much easier.

The room size is small/medium and it's quite open (no walls between living room, dining room and kitchen). Our house is pretty small though (an old 2 bedroom queenslander).

If you guys could point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Pauly Goldston

Brisbane

Edited by Pauly-G

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone,

I know this question gets asked to no end and I was going to try and avoid asking but man, after a week or two of research I am in struggletown!!!!!

I have a bravia x series 40 inch (3100 model), a ps3 (connected to my tv but also streams stuff from my pc through tversity) and thats about it. I'm gonna buy a pvr or play tv soon but thats another story.

Thing is, I think im gonna go ahead and buy the onkyo 606 reciever because i am so keen so hear some hd audio (blu ray movies, CALL OF DUTY 4, killzone 2 etc) Also, my girlfriend wants to be able to easily plu in her ipod touch when she gets home from work and become immersed in the music.

So here's the thing. I just don't know what speakers to buy. I know everyone will say 'just go and listen and decide for yourself'. But i need a bit more direction because I'm just sales bait when im in electronic stores! I have about 2000-2500 to spend (not including the reciever in this, thats another budget) and I want some speakers that will blow me away (sound quality wise, not volume wise!). I really want to get the full effect of the hd audie like PCM and Truehd etc and it would be nice if they were THX certified but it's not totally necessary.

Basically I was hoping some people could spit out some model numbers, not just brands, of some speakers for me to take to my local jb or something. I can deal with just getting two floorstanders, a center and a quality sub woofer but if people can find me a quality 5.1 or 7.1 speaker series for this price I'd greatly appreciate it. I've heard that, if you don't get the right speakers, it's hard to hear the difference between hd audie and dts or whatever so I don't wanna screw up this purchase.

Man, buying the tv was so much easier.

The room size is small/medium and it's quite open (no walls between living room, dining room and kitchen). Our house is pretty small though (an old 2 bedroom queenslander).

If you guys could point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Pauly Goldston

Brisbane

Mate I havent got them yet but am looking to and have done a heap of research...... The Fef 300.5 eggs are the way to go. My bro in law has them too and they are truely amazing. $2000 (stands about $150 each)

http://www2.kef.com/GB/SurroundSound/KHT/3000

Mate I havent got them yet but am looking to and have done a heap of research...... The Fef 300.5 eggs are the way to go. My bro in law has them too and they are truely amazing. $2000 (stands about $150 each)

http://www2.kef.com/GB/SurroundSound/KHT/3000

Hi, I've had a look at these. Maybe i'm being a noob but they just look so small for $2000! Can they hack it? Can they make the hd audio shine. Will my mates say, holy **** dude, state of origin at ur house this year?

Hi, I've had a look at these. Maybe i'm being a noob but they just look so small for $2000! Can they hack it? Can they make the hd audio shine. Will my mates say, holy **** dude, state of origin at ur house this year?

In small to medium sized room with a reasonable receiver, the answer I've found to be......YES! You'll probably get more "holy **** dude" comments than you think as they do produce a lot more than what you would think given their size. Mind you they aren't THAT small.

Besides....it's not the size that counts! :P

In small to medium sized room with a reasonable receiver, the answer I've found to be......YES! You'll probably get more "holy **** dude" comments than you think as they do produce a lot more than what you would think given their size.

They look great and many on this forum like them.

Just goes to prove that you must listen yourself, cause I listened to these and all I said was **** !

In small to medium sized room with a reasonable receiver, the answer I've found to be......YES! You'll probably get more "holy **** dude" comments than you think as they do produce a lot more than what you would think given their size. Mind you they aren't THAT small.

Besides....it's not the size that counts! :P

awesome awesome awesome speakers...... Kefs the whole way man... your mates will be amazed haha

Righto.

I'm in China atm but ill be home by early Feb so I'll ava ganza at these three:

Ikons

Kefs

Aarons

You've got me really interested in the Kefs, i'll definately seek them out first. The girlfriend likes the style and size of em too so thats a bonus!

Cheers fellas

if u have any more suggestions I'd love to hear em. What do you all think of the onkyo 606's...seems like a pretty safe bet to me, no?

I had a good listen to the 3005 and the 5005 Kef sets and was impressed with both.

But... then I had a listen to the JM Lab Focal Sib & Cub set and IMHO they sounded better than the Kef's.

They are about the same size as the Kef's and can be had cheaper.

I had a good listen to the 3005 and the 5005 Kef sets and was impressed with both.

But... then I had a listen to the JM Lab Focal Sib & Cub set and IMHO they sounded better than the Kef's.

They are about the same size as the Kef's and can be had cheaper.

Goes show how everyone's ears differ. I thought the exact opposite and chose to go with the kef's for both my mate and my uncle. Can't go far wrong with either me thinks. :)

Hi,

Just wondering if the subwoofer of focals has as much power as the 3005SE kef??

Thanks,

Kenn.

Not sure as I didn't do a side by side comparison but I remember the Kef sub was good, sounded nice and it looks good as well.

I set up the Sib & Cub at my Aunt's place and ran a test with a battle scene from LOTR... Shook her place well and truly!

If your in China, swing by Hong Kong and pick up some speakers at a fraction of the cost? (Exchange rate dependent)

My plane actually flys out of Hong Kong on the 7th so i will be there for a couple of days actually. I'm worried about the difference in voltage and shipping though? Has anyone ever bought from hong kong here before?

As another option, you could go with the B&W685/686/HTM62 combo.

I got them for $2k and bought an SVS PB-10 sub for $750 from deephzaudio online and i'm blown away by the whole set up now.

Similarly, Krix do some great bookshelf/centre/sub packages that would fit in your budget and i would wager either the B&W/Krix would produce a fuller sound than the smaller KEF's. Yes, the KEF's may sound great, but you can't get past physics when it comes to speaker sizes and air movement etc.

That might not be an issue for you if you only want it for HT, but if you're planning on a fair percentage of music listening, i would advise you to get some 'proper' bookshelves, or floorstanders.

Hope this helps

Bob

Edited by bobbyf

My plane actually flys out of Hong Kong on the 7th so i will be there for a couple of days actually. I'm worried about the difference in voltage and shipping though? Has anyone ever bought from hong kong here before?

Be careful though and know the prices in Aust before purchasing in HK. I was in HK in October and due to the drop in the AUD, alot of the stuff cost as much as in Australia, and then you have to add a few hundred bucks for shipping and taxes when they arrive, then there's the issue of warranty. Having said that I saw some beautiful, Chinese made speakes in HK that were a steal compared to Aust, the Aurum Cantus V3F's, let me know if you're interested and I can tell you a few places to go. If you are just buying the speakers, because they don't take any current you wont have problems with the voltage.

Be careful though and know the prices in Aust before purchasing in HK. I was in HK in October and due to the drop in the AUD, alot of the stuff cost as much as in Australia, and then you have to add a few hundred bucks for shipping and taxes when they arrive, then there's the issue of warranty. Having said that I saw some beautiful, Chinese made speakes in HK that were a steal compared to Aust, the Aurum Cantus V3F's, let me know if you're interested and I can tell you a few places to go. If you are just buying the speakers, because they don't take any current you wont have problems with the voltage.

Yeh I'd love to know some places. Yeh the dollar drop is not so great now, when were in HK in july 1 aus was about 7 HK if i remember correctly. I assume this is very different now (1 aud in china was 6 and now it is 4.8rmb in china so i assume the drop would be fairly similar in HKD)

Last time we were there we stayed in Mogkok which i hear might be the best place to check some of this stuff out? Right or wrong?

Cheers everyone for being so helpful!

As another option, you could go with the B&W685/686/HTM62 combo.

I got them for $2k and bought an SVS PB-10 sub for $750 from deephzaudio online and i'm blown away by the whole set up now.

Similarly, Krix do some great bookshelf/centre/sub packages that would fit in your budget and i would wager either the B&W/Krix would produce a fuller sound than the smaller KEF's. Yes, the KEF's may sound great, but you can't get past physics when it comes to speaker sizes and air movement etc.

That might not be an issue for you if you only want it for HT, but if you're planning on a fair percentage of music listening, i would advise you to get some 'proper' bookshelves, or floorstanders.

Hope this helps

Bob

Thanks very much for ur input Bob. I will check this setup out aswell. 2750 sounds like a pretty sweet deal although maybe a liiiiiiitle out of my price range, ill definately check it out now. What reciever would you reccomend to go with this for no more than $1000 (after haggling of course, not rrp).

I was keen on the onkyo 606 but after reading so many forums and stuff over the last couple of days, the yamaha range and the denon range have popped onto my radar. It's hard because everyone has a different opinion about this stuff. Basically, I want an avr that has great musicality but will also make games and movies sound awesome. I've heard that the onkyo's are best for gaming and movies but i've also heard there were some lip syncing proplems with some models. This is something i definately want to avoid hahaha!

Gonna go check out your system at deephzaudio now.

Pauly

I was keen on the onkyo 606 but after reading so many forums and stuff over the last couple of days, the yamaha range and the denon range have popped onto my radar. It's hard because everyone has a different opinion about this stuff. Basically, I want an avr that has great musicality but will also make games and movies sound awesome. I've heard that the onkyo's are best for gaming and movies but i've also heard there were some lip syncing proplems with some models. This is something i definately want to avoid hahaha!

The bottom line is that all our opinions are not worth a cracker because we all have different tastes and prejudices/biases.

IMHO you need to take the time to go to listen to different brand AVRs and make up your own mind about what you like and can hear. All of the brand name AVRs are fine, there is no best. There is no doubt tastes change with time and as your brain/ear tunes into what you like. Of course, that leads to the dreaded disease called "upgradeitis".

Granted listening takes time and can be arduous but it can also be fun. Take your time and make sure you take with you material that you are familiar with whether it is favourite movie scenes or music.

The same equipment in a different store can sound different so it is important to listen to some gear more than once just in case.

The bottom line is that all our opinions are not worth a cracker because we all have different tastes and prejudices/biases.

IMHO you need to take the time to go to listen to different brand AVRs and make up your own mind about what you like and can hear. All of the brand name AVRs are fine, there is no best. There is no doubt tastes change with time and as your brain/ear tunes into what you like. Of course, that leads to the dreaded disease called "upgradeitis".

Granted listening takes time and can be arduous but it can also be fun. Take your time and make sure you take with you material that you are familiar with whether it is favourite movie scenes or music.

The same equipment in a different store can sound different so it is important to listen to some gear more than once just in case.

Yeh I get your point. I'm actually getting excited about going and auditioning some of these setups. Is it really true that setups sound better over time after being worn in (like an acoustic guitar) or is this just a case of your ears getting used to the sound?

I'm sure my ears wont be too discerning as this will be my first ever foray into surround sound. I've just been using the speaker on my tv until now. I really wanna get the stuff home and be like....wow...this was definately worth it! I've listened to music on really good headphones before and am hoping i can get a similar feeling of hearing all the nuances in the music and movies from my surround system.

On another note, I love the dtv forums. The amount of information you can find and recieve in these forums is so helpful. And the amount of power it gives you at purchase is tremendous! We are empowered consumers! I remember when i was doing research on lcd tv's in these forums, i was able to walk into my local jb and harvey normans and tell them what they were going to do for me, rather than let them dictate the terms of the sale! I went into a harvey norman in brisbane and just mentioned the dtv forums and the sales guy automatically changed his tone and said he would match any group buy price they had going lol. Thanks again for all ur help and keep it coming if you have more to say!

Yeh I get your point. I'm actually getting excited about going and auditioning some of these setups. Is it really true that setups sound better over time after being worn in (like an acoustic guitar) or is this just a case of your ears getting used to the sound?
Yes probably.
I'm sure my ears wont be too discerning as this will be my first ever foray into surround sound. I've just been using the speaker on my tv until now. I really wanna get the stuff home and be like....wow...this was definately worth it! I've listened to music on really good headphones before and am hoping i can get a similar feeling of hearing all the nuances in the music and movies from my surround system.
Don't sell yourself short. I was surprised and how much I could discern initially after only a couple of hours of listening.

Even now I'm amazed. Nothing wrong with headphones either.

On another note, I love the dtv forums.

Yes, this forum can be very addictive. :D

On another note, I love the dtv forums. The amount of information you can find and recieve in these forums is so helpful. And the amount of power it gives you at purchase is tremendous! We are empowered consumers! I remember when i was doing research on lcd tv's in these forums, i was able to walk into my local jb and harvey normans and tell them what they were going to do for me, rather than let them dictate the terms of the sale! I went into a harvey norman in brisbane and just mentioned the dtv forums and the sales guy automatically changed his tone and said he would match any group buy price they had going lol. Thanks again for all ur help and keep it coming if you have more to say!

Mate - just go and do it!!

All this " this is better than that" stuff is really like arguing about the merits of about 300 shades of white available in the paint shop - they are all white and the differences are miniscule!

Given your remarks about your ears - get them educated by buying good reputable gear and listening - then the next time you get into upgraditis mode you will have a base to work from.

All the best - thrill of the chase and all that - but don't wait too long. :D

Gonna go check out your system at deephzaudio now.

Pauly

Hi Pauly

Sorry, my post was a bit mis-leading. The B&W stuff was bought from an Adelaide dealer (AV Central) and only the sub was bought through deephzaudio.

My AVR is the Marantz Sr7002, which i wanted because of the 2 HDMI outputs, so i didn't even look at the Onkyos.

Actually, i just remembered a great deal from when i was buying, which i think is still on.

SVS also do a great bookshelf, which you can buy with a thumping sub for less than your budget.

I only didn't buy them myself because of Wifie asthetics (i think the deal was for white or silver speakers) and that wouldn't do!!

(I'd always liked the look of the B&W's too)

The reviews for the SVS bookshelves and subs speak for themselves, but they're not that well known, compared to others, and they're online only, so give the specials on their website a good look over and see what you think.

Good luck

Bob