Foxtel To Launch New Channels In 2009?

...calling a spade a spade. "football" is a generic term, with many individual codes, and what someone means when they say "football" depends on where they are - grubby league if you're in NSW/Qld, Aussie rules other states, NFL in America, etc. The English insist that "football" exclusively means soccer, but for the people who invented the language, they seem to have a hard time understanding that it's a generic term covering many different types of ball sport played with the feet (as opposed to handball, racquetball, etc.)... or are the Aussie Rules players forgetting to take their racquets on the field with them?

Why is the Australian governing body called the FFA then......the game is football. What do UEFA and FIFA stand for? Any s for soccer ;-)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is the Australian governing body called the FFA then......the game is football. What do UEFA and FIFA stand for? Any s for soccer ;-)

And what does the F in AFL stand for? And what does the F in NFL stand for? Any AR for Aussie Rules or G for gridiron? Are these really soccer leagues but someone forgot to tell the players? Geez.

For FIFA, etc. the game is football, yes, the code of said football is soccer.

Just got told at a Foxtel stand that around thirty new channels will be lauched and the launching of D3.

The muppets who man the Foxtel stands at shopping centres don't work for Foxtel and are only briefed a week before the launch of a new product/service. As the new channels are still months away and Foxtel haven't even told their channel suppliers what their plans are I doubt the drop kick at the stand would know.

Guest melburn21
The muppets who man the Foxtel stands at shopping centres don't work for Foxtel and are only briefed a week before the launch of a new product/service. As the new channels are still months away and Foxtel haven't even told their channel suppliers what their plans are I doubt the drop kick at the stand would know.

I have friends who work at those stands and while it's true they don't work for Foxtel, they aren't briefed once a week. They have access to the same intranet as Foxtel employees and are kept informed with emails and bullitens from Foxtel in real time. (I'm constantly bugging them for info)

Still, there is no way they could know it's 30 channels when Foxtel have only said 20 so far. Unless it was leaked to them.

Edited by melburn21

And what does the F in AFL stand for? And what does the F in NFL stand for? Any AR for Aussie Rules or G for gridiron? Are these really soccer leagues but someone forgot to tell the players? Geez.

For FIFA, etc. the game is football, yes, the code of said football is soccer.

When did I say the others are entitled to call themselves football too......

The full and correct name is Association Football, the soccer comes from the association (Oxford or Cambridge graduates did the abbreviation). They abbreviated all sorts of things.

When did I say the others are entitled to call themselves football too......

When did I say FIFA or the others were entitled to call themselves football? Do you still not get yet that none of the arguments you've put forward so far hold any water? They can all easily be turned around the other way. This proves if anything, as I've been asyaing all along, that the word football does not apply to just one code.

When did I say FIFA or the others were entitled to call themselves football? Do you still not get yet that none of the arguments you've put forward so far hold any water? They can all easily be turned around the other way. This proves if anything, as I've been asyaing all along, that the word football does not apply to just one code.

My big mistake, I genuinely meant to say

When did I say the others are NOT entitled to call themselves football too......

apologies

I have friends who work at those stands and while it's true they don't work for Foxtel, they aren't briefed once a week. They have access to the same intranet as Foxtel employees and are kept informed with emails and bullitens from Foxtel in real time. (I'm constantly bugging them for info)

Still, there is no way they could know it's 30 channels when Foxtel have only said 20 so far. Unless it was leaked to them.

:excl: The man working was the manager for this stand and he was told this at a meeting :excl:

P.S.

Probably because they realised that football is a generic term, so they had to come up with a name to distinguish soccer from other types of football.

Actually it was because they wanted to develop a standard set of rules for football. All different universities were playing modified versions, so "association football" was football played by the rules of the Association.

There is no 'logical' reason why the word soccer shouldn't be used, but because it became the word used by Americans (where the game isn't so well respected), it kind of became a derogatory term. Still, I have no problem with the use of the word - but would strongly argue that the word football should be used by the national governing body and during broadcasts of the game etc.

Really, the reason the FFA were so keen to introduce the word 'football' instead of 'soccer' in Australia was more to do with international perception than anything else.

Now, back on topic, maybe?

Soccer is the most watched and played sport in Aus though......

I am not disputing that. I actually don't mind watching it, but there is plenty of soccer to be had on Foxtel already (both Premier league, Australian, and other leagues), whereas BB fans get 2 NBA games a week.

EDIT:

I didnt mean to start a debate on Football, I was just highlighting the fact that there is plenty of coverage on top class soccer already on Foxtel when compared to the top class Basketball coverage - thats all.

Edited by Purpleax

lol - i would believe that. I asked a Foxtel stand dude to show me where the HD movies are, and he had no idea at all !!

(This was just after I got the IQ2. It didnt take long to find)

There is no 'logical' reason why the word soccer shouldn't be used, but because it became the word used by Americans (where the game isn't so well respected), it kind of became a derogatory term. Still, I have no problem with the use of the word - but would strongly argue that the word football should be used by the national governing body and during broadcasts of the game etc.

Really, the reason the FFA were so keen to introduce the word 'football' instead of 'soccer' in Australia was more to do with international perception than anything else.

Now, back on topic, maybe?

Was always called soccer when I played as a kid, long before there was even much awareness of the game in America.

On topic for this forum (though not necessarily this specific thread :-) ), but this is one of my gripes with Foxtel. ESPN calls it football (even though for them football is NFL), and it also shows up in the Foxtel EPG as football (even though football here is Grubby League/Aussie Rules depending on where you are). It makes skimming through the EPG difficult as you have to look carefully at WHICH football the program is. Would be much easier if they called it what it was - soccer, gridiron, etc. (though, in the past, when I've said gridiron to people, I get blank looks, and they don't know what I'm talking about unless I say "American football", so I've had to resign myself to calling it this).

ESPN even takes this to the degree that when I was in the kitchen one day, I heard them say something about David Beckham and American football, and I rushed in to see what this was about - Beckham defecting to gridiron?? Turns out was nothing of the kind. Umm, hello?? Soccer isn't American football ESPN, gridiron is. For god's sake!

• 5 weeks later...

Anime channel would be nice..

and i think in america they have a channel where its just a camera trained on a birds nest or something right?? sounds weird but would be funny to show your mates.. like if they did a fishtank so that you could have it on there while chatting around the coffee table with friends.

I hope we get to see some new stuff & changes like:

ESPN 2 HD Australia - (ESPN HD Aus is already a mix of ESPN 1 & 2 US Content) more US sports from abc

ESPNews HD - (eurosportnews is such a piece of $h1t)

NBA TV HD

Fox Soccer Channel HD

Fox Sports 2 HD

Spike TV

Arena change to Bravo HD

TNT/TBS - comibined Turner broadcasting best of both in 1 channel. They have the best Ols skool and new sitcoms as well as drama. Stuff thats not on aussie cable.

CNN US HD - I mean we have fox news US which is great but CNN international just dedicated to asian and european viewers so boring. D.L Hughley show is the best and we dont get it here !

VH1 HD

MSNBC - Cable network

I hope we get to see some new stuff & changes like:

ESPN 2 HD Australia - (ESPN HD Aus is already a mix of ESPN 1 & 2 US Content) more US sports from abc

ESPNews HD - (eurosportnews is such a piece of $h1t)

NBA TV HD

Fox Soccer Channel HD

Fox Sports 2 HD

Spike TV

Arena change to Bravo HD

TNT/TBS - comibined Turner broadcasting best of both in 1 channel. They have the best Ols skool and new sitcoms as well as drama. Stuff thats not on aussie cable.

CNN US HD - I mean we have fox news US which is great but CNN international just dedicated to asian and european viewers so boring. D.L Hughley show is the best and we dont get it here !

VH1 HD

MSNBC - Cable network

You'd think it would be pretty easy to get the majority of those channels. ESPNews for example. Surely just show the regular programming, and then when it goes to adverts, insert the Australian adverts from ESPN. ESPN2 is a real must also, today for example a great college hoops matchup (Duke/UNC) is on, but they have SD NBA on the HD channel. I would love to have access to both live, but will have to settle for a replay tonight. Fox Sports HD 2 should be fairly logical, let's just hope they produce more Australian sports in HD (More AFL, NRL, Cricket, A-league etc.). The overseas content is readily available we just need more channels to utilise it.

• 9 months later...

He was pretty close. Not perfect, but presumably some of the final decisions hadn't even been made at the time he made the post.

I'm looking forward to seeing the backlash when people work out that Syd Mel and Brisbane have all the 3 main FTA channels and Perth and Adelaide don't even get one.