For The Harmony 785 Owners

Hi guys,

I am thinking of purchasing a Harmony 785 but just had a few questions before i jump in. My setup is the following:

TV Samsung PS42A410C1D

VCR Sony SLV-EZ70

DVD Panasonic DVD-S97

Austar DSD-999 Flinders box

Amp Yamaha RXV-530

STB Topfield TF-4000T (this is only used for recorder FTA)

I have done a lot of reading today but cant find the answers I am looking for.

1. The LCD, is this a touch screen or do you press the buttons on the side of the screen to activate that activity? Reason I ask is I want a remote that has "feel" as opposed to the spare Denon 3805 remote i am using as a universal remote.

2. If I press say Watch a DVD, it turns on the TV, DVD and the Amp. If I then want to flick over to Austar (which is simply switching to another AV on the TV, amp to remain on the same channel) will the remote know the TV is on? Just wondered how the remote handles just switching AV inputs once everything is on as opposed to powering on/off components etc.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by oxblood8

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. The LCD, is this a touch screen or do you press the buttons on the side of the screen to activate that activity? Reason I ask is I want a remote that has "feel" as opposed to the spare Denon 3805 remote i am using as a universal remote.

2. If I press say Watch a DVD, it turns on the TV, DVD and the Amp. If I then want to flick over to Austar (which is simply switching to another AV on the TV, amp to remain on the same channel) will the remote know the TV is on? Just wondered how the remote handles just switching AV inputs once everything is on as opposed to powering on/off components etc.

Thanks in advance.

1. you press buttons to the side of the screen.

2. it will know the tv is on. it does not power down components that need to stay on.

i love my 785.

Edited by Sabbath

Ok, bought the 785 and am pretty happy with it. One more question tho. Is it possible to setup the remote so that when you press an activity button, it goes to that activity but leaves the remote in the activities "mode". My usual watching is to switch between TV and Austar so it looks at tho I have to press "Watch Austar" then to get back to TV i would have to press the Activities button and then "Watch TV". Ideally i would like to get the switching down to just pressing a single button.

Ok, bought the 785 and am pretty happy with it. One more question tho. Is it possible to setup the remote so that when you press an activity button, it goes to that activity but leaves the remote in the activities "mode". My usual watching is to switch between TV and Austar so it looks at tho I have to press "Watch Austar" then to get back to TV i would have to press the Activities button and then "Watch TV". Ideally i would like to get the switching down to just pressing a single button.

No... and would defeat the benefit of the activities base of these remotes.... you use the screen buttons for commonly used commands that don't suit being allocated to one of the dedicated buttons. Remember any button can do any command but deviating too far from the style of button graphic makes it harder to remember what they do.

There is a shift in mindset going to a harmony, but once mastered, you'd never go back to conventional remotes.

There is a number of workarounds for stuff like this, fro example you could add the austar box to your watch tv activity, and add the commands to the lcd screen to switch between inputs on your reciever (assuming the reciever does your video switching). That should get you there in one button press.

To do that go to your tv activity>review setting for this activity>add device>austar box. Then go to customize buttons and add the commands to switch inputs on the reciever to the front page of the lcd custom commands.

If you have your video cables connected direct to your tv, you might have to use the add sequence option on the lcd custom commands to switch both the tv input and reciever input with one button press.

I haven't come across anything that can't be achieved with my 880, you just have to think outside the box sometimes.

Hakka.

As Pfeff says, it doesn't quite work like that. What you maybe better of doing is including the Austar box in your Watch TV activity. Then it is also on when you are watching the TV, and by assigning the channel change commands for the Austar box to the soft keys on the LCD, you can switch between TV and Austar, but ar still in the Watch TV mode.

It's not neat, but do-able.

I was given the 785 for Christmas and have had problems trying to get the device to recognise two DVD players. I have a Pioneer DVD recorder LX60D and the Sony Blu-Ray BDP S550.

In the set up it only allows for me to choose one machine for watching a DVD. Is there a way around this? Do I make one of the DVD players a video recorder so that it becomes a separate input? Or would that not work?

Also I have an iPod plugged into the amp via a generic cable, not a docking station. Is there a way of getting the Harmony to just switch the amp on when I say play music as it is asking me for a model number of the iPod which I guess it is referring to a docking device with IR capabilities.

Another issue is the PVR's. Two Topfields with the same remote command. I am sticking with the HD one as that is the most used device, but obviously there is no way around this issue?

Thanks

Alan

I was given the 785 for Christmas and have had problems trying to get the device to recognise two DVD players. I have a Pioneer DVD recorder LX60D and the Sony Blu-Ray BDP S550.

In the set up it only allows for me to choose one machine for watching a DVD. Is there a way around this? Do I make one of the DVD players a video recorder so that it becomes a separate input? Or would that not work?

You can have multiple of the same type of Device - eg I have two TVs and two DVD players in my harmony device list. Each device will have a message saying "not currently in an activity". If you select this, then you can setup two watch DVD activities and rename the one with the Sony BD player to "Watch Bluray".

Also I have an iPod plugged into the amp via a generic cable, not a docking station. Is there a way of getting the Harmony to just switch the amp on when I say play music as it is asking me for a model number of the iPod which I guess it is referring to a docking device with IR capabilities.

I presume you control the iPod through the amp? Just set up a "Listen to Radio" activity with the amp only and instead of selecting the Tuner for radio reception, choose the iPod input. Then rename the activity to "Listen to iPod"

Another issue is the PVR's. Two Topfields with the same remote command. I am sticking with the HD one as that is the most used device, but obviously there is no way around this issue?

I preseume you have a TF5000 and TF7x00. They use the same codes so there is nothing you can do about it ufortunately

• 4 weeks later...

OK guys, I am looking to updating my 2 year old 525 for a 785. Doesn't look like there's any new models coming soon for either model, so I think I might upgrade in the next week or two.

Before I do though, the one question I have is, on the 525 there is a glow key to turn on the backlight on the remote. The 785 does not seem to have a "Glow" key. Does it automatically light up when it is moved - ie via a motion sensor???

OK guys, I am looking to updating my 2 year old 525 for a 785. Doesn't look like there's any new models coming soon for either model, so I think I might upgrade in the next week or two.

Before I do though, the one question I have is, on the 525 there is a glow key to turn on the backlight on the remote. The 785 does not seem to have a "Glow" key. Does it automatically light up when it is moved - ie via a motion sensor???

Yes.

Walk through the lounge room sometimes and mine lights up.

Yes.

Walk through the lounge room sometimes and mine lights up.

Thanks Grampus.

The 525 'wakes' from deep sleep if it hasn't been moved or touched for more than 30mins (or maybe it's 2 hours), and lights up from any vibrations, but once the 525 is awake, other than pressing a key, the 'Glow" key is the one I use when I'm watching a movie in near darkness.

Diesel - I have both the 525 and 785. I'd give the 785 a rating of 9.5 out of 10 and the 525 a rating of 5/10. Upgrade, you won't regret it. 785 has a much. much clearer screen and is always charged (courtesy of charging cradle). My wife and kids literally love the 785 and simply don't use the 525 (in the room where I have the 525 they prefer to use the individual remotes for each component).

Thanks Swordfish. Charging is not an issue. We have heaps of rechargeable batteries for the kids toys, that there is always some ready to go, but the coloured buttons are what get my big vote. The painted on ones on the 525 wore off pretty quick due to using the Wiz for everything.

The 525 has served us well and the whole family think it's great. They lament if they ever have to use an original remote.

BTW, how have you setup your online account. Can you have both remotes with the same setup, or did you have to register a new account - one for the 525 and one for the 785?

Thanks Swordfish. Charging is not an issue. We have heaps of rechargeable batteries for the kids toys, that there is always some ready to go, but the coloured buttons are what get my big vote. The painted on ones on the 525 wore off pretty quick due to using the Wiz for everything.

The 525 has served us well and the whole family think it's great. They lament if they ever have to use an original remote.

BTW, how have you setup your online account. Can you have both remotes with the same setup, or did you have to register a new account - one for the 525 and one for the 785?

I've two accounts - no big issue though.

Any idea if we'll be getting teh 890 in Oz ? Could be handy with it's extender option.

FWIW i have a 525 in the bedroom and a 785 in the lounge... the 785 craps all over the 525 in build quality/screen etc ;)

It's very unlikely the 890 with RF capabilities will be released here.

I believe Logitech don't think its feasible due to the licensing costs of registering the RF frequency here, compared to how many units they would sell.

I imported the 890 with RF extender from the US and to be honest, it's been brilliant (the AC packs for the charging cradle and rf extender are multi voltage, so you just need a couple of Aus power socket adapters).

Isn't the 880 about the same as the 890 minus the RF abilities?

• 2 weeks later...

OK. I bought the 785 from Wireless1 at Parramatta Westfields for $129. They had heaps around. They also had 525s for $59.

Anyway, transferred my setup to the 785 no problems. I see you can change the background, create a slideshow and have icons for favourite channels but just wondering if you can change the background pics on the activities?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Just bought a Harmony 785 and went through the settings. I was able to set 4 activities successfully but am still having problems with my Pioneer AV Receiver VSX-917V-S (Australian).

Firstly, the data from the database is not exactly what it should be and it seems to be for another model. Secondly, even after teaching some commands to the remote, the execution of those commands will not be sent to the equipment. However, the same commands when executed individually (pressing the buttons on the remote) work OK.

I spent hours modifying the macros, introducing delays, etc, to no avail. My main problem is to tell the Amp to start the SystemSetup so the macro will change some parameters for a particular activity. I also tried to use a "similar device" and I suggested to use the VSX-517 that is quite different and messed up with the other activities. Had to rebuild everything after that.

Has anyone had similar problems with the VSX-917?

Pioneer VSX-917V-s

Panasonic DVD Rec

Neuston Maestro 1201

AWA TV

MG-450

Topfields 7000 and 5000

Even the MG-450 works fine.

Cheers!

Firstly, the data from the database is not exactly what it should be and it seems to be for another model. Secondly, even after teaching some commands to the remote, the execution of those commands will not be sent to the equipment. However, the same commands when executed individually (pressing the buttons on the remote) work OK.

I spent hours modifying the macros, introducing delays, etc, to no avail. My main problem is to tell the Amp to start the SystemSetup so the macro will change some parameters for a particular activity. I also tried to use a "similar device" and I suggested to use the VSX-517 that is quite different and messed up with the other activities. Had to rebuild everything after that.

Can you provide some more specific details?

What do you mean by

Secondly, even after teaching some commands to the remote, the execution of those commands will not be sent to the equipment. However, the same commands when executed individually (pressing the buttons on the remote) work OK.
Are you talking about sequences?

Can you provide some more specific details?

Thanks for replying Diesel. What kind of specifics you would require?

What do you mean by

Are you talking about sequences?

If you mean the macros and sequences of the commands, yes. After I posted this I had some success with the macro building for this particular activity. I found out after many try and errors that the macros for the Harmony do not work like they are supposed to, I think, I may be wrong. In the case of the Amplifier this is what it should do in my particular setup:

Because I have the DVD Rec audio out (opt) and the MG-450 audio out (coax) associated with only one input to the amp I have to tell the Amp to switch them when playing one or the other. I do this because there are not enough inputs for me to play with. To do this, the Amp must receive the command SystemSetup and go through the menus (displayed on the TV) and switch the digital inputs (video is fine, both use the DVR/VCR input but OPT or Coax audio inputs).

I still use a Smart Remote with the macros working fine. The Harmony however seems to get lost during the execution of the macro (or sequences) and do not send the SystemSetup command to the Amp and leaves me with the devices ON but with incorrect settings.

Yesterday I experimented sending a PowerOn command (although the Amp is already on) after the main sequence is executed. It took the command and continued the sequence as it should be. Now I have to do some polishing to make it as I want (had to introduce lots of 1 or 2 seconds delays for each command).

The same problem with the power off sequence when I have to make the switch to reverse the Amp to the original settings. I noticed then that, although the TV should power off automatically, it does not and I have to send an extra PowerToggle command to turn it off.

Weird, very weird. The macros are monstruous. In my old remote it takes less than 20 steps for each macro and works flawless.

I could not imagine that Logitech would such thing if I did I would not go for their remotes. I think now it is a very bad concept to depend on the Internet to programme the remote and not have an off-line facility to build our own macros. Also, The initial sequence established during the setup one cannot alter it (only the order) and this makes things more uncontrollable. If it was not N/A as it says in the options, this sort of problem would not occur.

In any case, thanks for the interest. If you want some more details, let me know.

Cheers!