Pioneer 9th Gen Panels Discussion

I can't believe it. I just got the call. HN got my 509 in!!!

They had 32 orders to fill and only 10 plasmas came in. LOL

I think i was no.3 on the list.

Great news for me! Just had to wait 2 months for it...

Hobby,

Great news, how much did u pay for the lx509

Thanks

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a look at the HMG gallery last night for the first time - rather nifty - certainly makes digital photos look pretty damn good (and theyre only photos taken from a standard/basic point and shoot 8 MP camera).

Anyway, does anybody know if there's a way to use the music player without having to have the screen on???  (ie I'm worried about screen burn).  We have all of our music backed up onto a large USB external hard drive, and using the kuro hooked into an amp would actually be a pretty convenient way of accessing all our music without having to turn on a laptop.

Had a look at the HMG gallery last night for the first time - rather nifty - certainly makes digital photos look pretty damn good (and theyre only photos taken from a standard/basic point and shoot 8 MP camera).

Anyway, does anybody know if there's a way to use the music player without having to have the screen on???  (ie I'm worried about screen burn).  We have all of our music backed up onto a large USB external hard drive, and using the kuro hooked into an amp would actually be a pretty convenient way of accessing all our music without having to turn on a laptop.

Tools > scroll down to picture off audio still present!!

cheers laurie

Errrr, I don't seem to have that option under tools - definitely nothing to do with picture...  Are you sure that's where it should be?

On a completely unrelated note, I never realised till now how few movies in my DVD collection are in 1.85:1 ration instead of 2.35:1!  I only have 1 blu-ray out of 25 or so, but of the 200+ DVDs I own, trying to find the ones that are in 1.85:1 so I can watch full screen material whilst running in the screen is turning out to be rather tricky! Even romantic comedies are letting me down...

Hmmm, and the Kuro doesn't support .wav format.  Interesting...

The only thing that I've found in the manual under the HMG section that might be of help whilst playing music files is the screen saver - listed on page 61.  However, I tested this by waiting for six minutes (I set a timer) and didn't touch anything once I'd started music files playing, but a screen saver definitely didn't kick in.

Errrr, I don't seem to have that option under tools - definitely nothing to do with picture...  Are you sure that's where it should be?

press TOOLS> scroll down to PICTURE select it then it will go BLACK while audio is still coming through the speakers hit any button and it will return then next time you hit tools you will see PICTURE OFF!

cheers laurie

cheers laurie

I'll check again, but when playing mp3's I'm pretty sure that I didn't have a Picture option...  99.99% sure...

I plugged in a USB device, went to HMG, went to USB, selected the device, then a music file and started playback.  Then I hit TOOLS and scrolled through the list.

Random, Time Search, A-B Repeat, Sound, PLay Mode, Add to HMG playlist (as per page 55 of the manual), but no picture...

cheers laurie

Well, I went through the tools menu on every screen whilst listening to a track in the HMG and while I did get a few other menu options under tools, I still couldn't find one for picture - can you be more specific?

Or maybe do you have a different firmware?  Mine's 0903-0201, and hardware is 0x351.

I'll check again, but when playing mp3's I'm pretty sure that I didn't have a Picture option...  99.99% sure...

I plugged in a USB device, went to HMG, went to USB, selected the device, then a music file and started playback.  Then I hit TOOLS and scrolled through the list.

Random, Time Search, A-B Repeat, Sound, PLay Mode, Add to HMG playlist (as per page 55 of the manual), but no picture...

Sorry Dave you may be right I had FTA on at the time when I tried it :blush: come to think about it it will be useful for say Foxtel Air Active 30 music channels so maybe that's why you need video content for it to work just a guess

cheers laurie

Sorry Dave you may be right I had FTA on at the time when I tried it :blush: come to think about it it will be useful for say Foxtel Air Active 30 music channels so maybe that's why you need video content for it to work just a guess

cheers laurie

No worries - maybe I'll make a call to Pioneer and see what they think, and whether or not that might be a future upgrade!

It would seem a bit silly to create a TV that's capable of acting as a bit of a media centre only for it to a major screen burn issue...

No worries - maybe I'll make a call to Pioneer and see what they think, and whether or not that might be a future upgrade!

It would seem a bit silly to create a TV that's capable of acting as a bit of a media centre only for it to a major screen burn issue...

Absolutely,my old Philips Matchline WS TV had that feature just as a curiosity Dave have you left the music play long enough to see if a screensaver pops up!

cheers laurie

Absolutely,my old Philips Matchline WS TV had that feature just as a curiosity Dave have you left the music play long enough to see if a screensaver pops up!

cheers laurie

Right at the end of the HMG section in the manual there's a brief mention of a screen saver, and it says that it won't work over movies and photos - thereby implying that it should work over music - and that it will activate within five minutes if no activity is sensed. I did try it out - I started playing music from a particular album, set a timer for six minutes and then walked away and came back, but the screen saver hadn't kicked in. Haven't tried leaving it for longer than that!

Mates

Anyone know where I can find a replacement remote for the KRP 500 panel?

And the cost? Its a metal unit which is different from the usual 509 unit.

Thanks

Did you try ringing pioneer?

customer care

(03) 9586 6380 or 1800 988 268

My parents are looking at getting a new TV and after having a look around are considering the Kuro c509. One question for those of you that have one of these: how do they handle poor source material? I ask because I know they watch a lot of old shows/movies on Foxtel. Some of those Foxtel channels are particularly bad.

Otherwise, is there a brand/model of HDTV that is most recommended for viewing this type of old SD material?

PS: how depressing - if they get a Kuro, they'll have a better TV than I do :(

Guest David.m
Hi

Aaron Rigg from Avical Australia Pty Ltd calibrated my Pioneer KRP600M Monday night this week. I'm in Brisbane and he flew up from Melbourne for the week doing jobs around SE Qld. He told me he gets to Sydney about every 5 weeks.

Aaron was very informative and most helpful, spending around two and a half hours setting up my Pioneer BDP-51D Blu-ray for BD, PAL DVD and NTSC DVD. The Plasma now recognizes the disc format when loaded into the Blu-ray player with a unique calibration for each. He also calibrated for Foxtel IQ2 and an Oppo DVD player which I use mainly for Region 1 DVDs.

Others have spoken highly of Aaron on these forums in the past, and now I too can certify that a professional calibration is worth every cent. Cost is $380 + GST. The picture quality obtained is really quite stunning - vibrant sharp images with colours not seen before - just as the Director intended! SD Foxtel looks better too not to mention their HD programming.

I thought the Pioneer 9G panels were good before, but now post-tinkering it truly blows everthing out of the ball park! Blacks are even BLACKER !!

Very highly recommended!! :):):)

Just thought I would echo these comments. Aaron did my panel a couple of nights ago and the picture improvement is dramatic to say the least (I had been using Pure mode with settings from AV Forum UK). Most definately worth the expense.