Iron Man ? On Sale Yet

I've watched quite a few...I tend to hire a couple of blu-rays each week as well.

The only disc I've had the BD-P1500 lock up on is the US version of Top Gun...the feature plays perfectly, but in the main menu, if you try to go to the special features, you get nothing but a frozen screen.

That, and the annoyance of wanting to play a cd but if you turn off the TV, the player stops and turns itself off too....i think v1.3 firmware was meant to fix it (avail in the US) but not too sure..might be just a by-product of HDMI...

Very happy with iron man though...picture is great, sound quality fantastic, on par if not a bit better than transformers and Die Hard 4.0.

Thanks for letting me know...

Just dropped off the BD-P1400 at a local service centre after I called the Samsung Customer Centre.....spoke to one person who said you need to download the firmware...told him i had already done that....he then put me through to a techie.....he said...Hmmm I think you have to download the firmware....WTF ? SHouldnt the techies know more ???? He then said...take it to your local Service Centre.....which was interesting.

Since it was Saturday morning...no techs there but the lady behind the counter asked me to describe the problem so she could fill in the job sheet..which she did....told me ot would be about 2 weeks....but she thinks it is a faulty Digital Processing Baord.....for her to say that, they must have seen quite a few BD-P1400 come through with a faulty board....looks like Samung didnt want to do a massive re-call and crossed their fingers that only some of their BD-P1400 may have had a faulty board....well I am hoping it fixes the problem...

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had it on Auto, never was a problem before, but turned it off and now will admit the bass is awesome.

-20dB was enough after turning DRC off

seems it must be a flag on this disc as the PS3 I had the problem, never had it before when left on Auto. The sound seemed quiet and lack of bass, now I must say it is up among the best sound experiences I have had on Blu-Ray.

Can someone please explain this DRC setting and where I find it in the PS3 menu?

This has got to be the first BD movie to sell out!! I tried JB, Big W, Sanity and EzyDVD. All sold out. I as even going to buy a Samsung BDP-1500 to go with it so I don't have to keep dragging the PS3 from my sons room. Seriously p***ed off!.

I go out and buy my wife a new MSI Wind notebook, my son a new keyboard and mouse as well as a set of LogiTech Z5500 speakers and I end up with nothing. :angry::angry:

They probably only got a few copies to start with, and most likely only a few stores got their stock. Might be due to the recall and they're only able to get them out in dribs and drabs.

............didn't everyone buy it from Amazon anyway :huh: ..........might have something to do with that 17% figure :rolleyes:

cheers

Besides the above the sound is AMAZING! I only have an amp capable on Dolby Digital 5.1 but its one of the best soundtracks ive ever heard.

I have a proper Tru HD setup and i rate this the best BD for audio so far,if you don't own this in your collection then there is no hope for you.As a matter of fact i'm a Tru HD convert after this and Resident Evil Extinction i think Tru HD is the best of the hi res Audio codecs above PCM and DTS MA.If i had to put my finger on why the audio is so good in Iron Man BD i would have to say the use of LFE.It is easy to go heavy on LFE and finish up all boomy and bloated,the LFE in Iron Man feels tight as a drum and more like a punch to the solar plexus B)

Edited by ekkieTHUMP

Guest Conifer

I took my copy back today as it worked twice and then nothing! Player would not play the disc at all!

I tried other Blu Rays and no hassles and then put Iron Smelly in and nothing! Put in the Special feature and worked everytime but the movie would not play for a third time!

Taken it back, pisses me off that we get players or certain disc that don't play!

The technology isn't f*&king ground breaking or anything so I can't understand why certain things don't work.

ok ...I've vented and I can clam down now :P

I'm finding this disk a bit confusing, playing through a PS3 via HDMI to a onkyo 605 true HD capable AVR, on start up of the disk my AVR displays 7.1, then reverts to 5.1, when selecting the True HD track from the set up on the disk my AVR does not indicate that the track is True HD it remains on multichannel 5.1 is this right ? is the PS3 playing the True HD track ?, sorry for the questions, it's very rare i fire up the PS3, bu was looking forward to Iron man on Blu-Ray, have to say though i was a little disappointed in PQ as i have been with a few titles i have purchased on Blu-Ray, is the PQ over rated in reviews, 4.5 stars from high def digest seemed to be overly generous

Edited by Ozivillan

• Volunteer
I'm finding this disk a bit confusing, playing through a PS3 via HDMI to a onkyo 605 true HD capable AVR, on start up of the disk my AVR displays 7.1, then reverts to 5.1, when selecting the True HD track from the set up on the disk my AVR does not indicate that the track is True HD it remains on multichannel 5.1 is this right ? is the PS3 playing the True HD track ?, sorry for the questions, it's very rare i fire up the PS3, bu was looking forward to Iron man on Blu-Ray, have to say though i was a little disappointed in PQ as i have been with a few titles i have purchased on Blu-Ray, is the PQ over rated in reviews, 4.5 stars from high def digest seemed to be overly generous

You will not see True HD on your AVR with the PS3 it internally decodes only, as it does not have a bitstream option.

The picture on Iron Man is extremely good through my Pana BD30 as I posted in my review of this disc.

Iron Man

Region A (but region free)

PQ: 4.5/5 - This is a great transfer for the most part with the second half of the film being the slickest PQ wise.

AQ: 4.75/5 - A good example of how a movie should sound with plenty of sub action.

The Movie - I hadn't seen this before but found it a great watch, plenty of action and it's not a silly movie as I might have originally expected. I thoroughly enjoyed this. And I can't believe I'm saying this but Robert Downey Jr. does a great job.

* Note*

Some AVR's will switch to night mode when this disc is in and True HD is selected, Onkyo's apparently are affected and as I discovered so too is my Marantz 7002.

I just bought mine yesterday from Big W for $34. I have it preordered with some other stuff at Amazon, but since the AUD has decided to play the limbo (how low can you go!!), it actually worked out cheaper getting it from Big W!

Its clear that dsitribution of Ironman on BD (in Vic atleast) is very limited still. Many Big W stores dont have it simply because they were never provided stock.

I have found a copy at JB but I had to call quite a few stores before I found one.

Hope it is as good as it sounds.

Its clear that dsitribution of Ironman on BD (in Vic atleast) is very limited still. Many Big W stores dont have it simply because they were never provided stock.

I have found a copy at JB but I had to call quite a few stores before I found one.

Hope it is as good as it sounds.

same in S.A got mine at jb ,going fast!

You will not see True HD on your AVR with the PS3 it internally decodes only, as it does not have a bitstream option.

This I don't understand.

ATM my setup is PS3 using HDMI connect into my AVR Yamaha 1700B then another HDMI connect into my full HD plasma. On my AVR it streamling through as PCM.

Now you saying it not running a True HD?? or am I misunderstand you here?

This has got to be the first BD movie to sell out!! I tried JB, Big W, Sanity and EzyDVD. All sold out. I as even going to buy a Samsung BDP-1500 to go with it so I don't have to keep dragging the PS3 from my sons room. Seriously p***ed off!.

I go out and buy my wife a new MSI Wind notebook, my son a new keyboard and mouse as well as a set of LogiTech Z5500 speakers and I end up with nothing. :angry::angry:

Found one! Possibly the last copy in Brisbane and it was from Big W so only cost $34. Picked up a Samsung BD-P1500 while out for $350 from JB.

Now the question...Bathurst of Iron Man?

This I don't understand.

ATM my setup is PS3 using HDMI connect into my AVR Yamaha 1700B then another HDMI connect into my full HD plasma. On my AVR it streamling through as PCM.

The PS3 doesnt bitstream the highdef audio codecs. It converts them to PCM and that is sent to the receiver.

I just bought mine yesterday from Big W for $34. I have it preordered with some other stuff at Amazon, but since the AUD has decided to play the limbo (how low can you go!!), it actually worked out cheaper getting it from Big W!

Yes, same! Although my duplicate order wasn't so much good planning as an error. I had it pre-ordered from Amazon and my partner who didn't know I'd ordered it, grabbed a copy from Big W for $34.

Once the Amazon copy arrives, I'll have one too many copies if anyone's interested?

The PQ and especially the sound is fantastic. I love the movie and enjoyed it even more on Blu than I did at the cinema.

Lisa

Have you watched the whole movie? The PQ is delibrately grainy in the first part but later after the desert scenes are over it becomes very clear and glossy. It was a decsion they made in making the movie

• Volunteer
This I don't understand.

You are still getting True HD but the PS3 is decoding it instead of the AVR so you just don't see the words true HD on the front of the AVR.

They probably only got a few copies to start with, and most likely only a few stores got their stock. Might be due to the recall and they're only able to get them out in dribs and drabs.

............didn't everyone buy it from Amazon anyway :huh: ..........might have something to do with that 17% figure :rolleyes:

cheers

Has the local one been recalled, or is it just the U.S. one. After the problems associated with the U.S. version i decided to wait for the local one and have not had a problem, but it's not hooked up via LAN either. works flawlessly on my Pioneer LX70A running local firmware update 3.26. Also for those that have missed out on this disc so far, IronMan was released 2 days ahead of schedule according to the EZY DVD web site, checked J.B. Knox on Wednesday and there they were, needless to say i grabbed one while i was there, maybe the southern states got more stock who knows.

Has the local one been recalled, or is it just the U.S. one. After the problems associated with the U.S. version i decided to wait for the local one and have not had a problem, but it's not hooked up via LAN either. works flawlessly on my Pioneer LX70A running local firmware update 3.26. Also for those that have missed out on this disc so far, IronMan was released 2 days ahead of schedule according to the EZY DVD web site, checked J.B. Knox on Wednesday and there they were, needless to say i grabbed one while i was there, maybe the southern states got more stock who knows.

I rented it from my local blockbuster on friday night. PLayed fine on my PS3 connected ot the net. Took about 30 secs to download content from the net for BD-Live then all was smooth after that. Personally i dont see any benefit in BD-live. I think it pretty pointless content. Other than that the disc has great pci and audio quality but as some oters have said, the audio level is quite low. I had to jack my volume up quite a bit.