Playtv

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FInally got my playTV from UK today, very happy except for one small issue,

The EPG is set to GMT+0:00 (9.5 hours out of sync for SA) and cannot be changed (even by changing the ps3 system clock).

Just wondering if anyone else has this issue, or if it has been fixed with an update.

Unfortunately for me, i cannot get broadband where i am, so it looks like i'll be sitting on version 1.00 for a while :(

The time sync issue was fixed with the update of playtv, so you need to find a way to hook your ps3 up to the net and update it.

Thanks, looks like ill have to hook it up at a relatives house.

Does anyone know if you have to have playTV hooked up to an antenna when updating?

From the comments on the PS3 PlayTV Blog:

Posted on June 25th, 2009 at 1:19 pm by Mark Bunting

Scott, thanks for the post, UHF scanning will be fixed too.

The tuners are capable of HD but this is actually done in the software and we have no plans to change the hardware as you have said it works well on MPEG-2 (in the UK it is MPEG-2 at the moment) and we are perfecting it for MPEG-4.

Michael is correct but there may have been some information lost in translation, the work to ensure that HD works consistently well in all modes needs to be done for each country as broadcasters are different (even in the same country) so what he was inferring is that we will test HD in Australia and optimise it for there.

For example, one of the broadcasters use progressive playback and this is not done anywhere else so we need to make a change to ensure that PlayTV handles that correctly.

The stuttering that you get is also caused by the significant amounts of data carried by MPEG-2 HD (MPEG-4 HD carries less) so we need to get that to the HDD properly and we are in the process of testing the work we have done to reduce the stuttering.

Cheers

Mark

Posted on June 25th, 2009 at 1:21 pm by Mark Bunting

D4RhR4in, I have put more detail in the reply to Scott @176, so in summary for you the answer is we have no plans to change the hardware.

My PlayTV has arrived from GAME UK today in the post... took just over a week to arrive. Paid 60.95GBP incl postage. Looking forward to getting it installed and up and running, but I think I'll wait until the 500GB PS3 HDD upgrade I have ordered arrives :) Hardly any space left on the 40GB drive right now!

Great news regarding Australian release (and I guess FW) in the 4th QTR too... ^_^

Cheers,

Doc.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the latest goss on whether or not the UK PlayTV will be able to have, or is getting, a software update so it will work properly in OZ? I read that the hardware in the Oz release will be the same as the UK's so there's a 99% chance it will... but that other 1% is holding me back!

Edited by jmtheo

Does anyone know the latest goss on whether or not the UK PlayTV will be able to have, or is getting, a software update so it will work properly in OZ? I read that the hardware in the Oz release will be the same as the UK's so there's a 99% chance it will... but that other 1% is holding me back!

It is the same hardware. Sony don't appear to be in the habit of releasing regional versions anymore. 99.9% certain an update will appear 'soon'.

Edited by boric

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...