Cheap Power Protection (8 Outlet $35)

I have just ordered one of these - 8 socket power surge/filter protection for $35 delivered. Similar are > $100 in the shops.

Guy who sold me my 50 inch Pana on the weekend was insistent I bought at least a 4 outlet one for $79.95 Told him I thought I could do better.

http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/power-surg...ctor-8-outlets/

We have Foxy for HDMI, this for power now who sells cheap connectors and speaker cable??

Hmmm... interesting. I'd like to know if this is another sales gimmick. Just like Foxy's HDMI cables which comes at a fraction of the price of those sold at local retailers but so many here have sworn by them. Can one justify spending $100 for a surge protector or will a cheaper one do the same job?

Hmmm... interesting. I'd like to know if this is another sales gimmick. Just like Foxy's HDMI cables which comes at a fraction of the price of those sold at local retailers but so many here have sworn by them. Can one justify spending $100 for a surge protector or will a cheaper one do the same job?

I just googled for belkin surge protectors and found them cheaper on the net. I think I paid about $100 instead of $180 as per HN or Bing Lee. The benefit that I see from one of these is that it offers you a warranty for the equipment plugged into the protector so if it fails to protect your equipment then they will replace anything that is damaged. Peace of mind stuff really - mind you having said that I only bought one since buying the LX508. Did not have one with my old Panasonic 50".

Personally I would recommend them to everyone with multiple pieces of equipment.

Alan

What sometimes separates an ordinary surge protector from a decent branded one is not so much the componentry but the warranty it offers. Sure you can pick up an 8 socket surge board for $35 but does it give any warranty if your gear breaks down due to electrical failure. A Belkin board like ozboyz suggested might cost you twice as much (if not more) but if you lose any connected gear due to electrical fault such as surge or brown out etc these boards have a lifetime warranty usually well over $100k for any gear plugged in. Thats essentially what you're paying for and where the value comes from.

I think that you really need to test them throughoutly before you can say that one is better than the other.

Cheaper is always good, but I di truly believe that some items are more expensive not just because of their branding but because of their quality and yes...warranty.

I have just ordered one of these - 8 socket power surge/filter protection for $35 delivered. Similar are > $100 in the shops.

Guy who sold me my 50 inch Pana on the weekend was insistent I bought at least a 4 outlet one for $79.95 Told him I thought I could do better.

http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/power-surg...ctor-8-outlets/

We have Foxy for HDMI, this for power now who sells cheap connectors and speaker cable??

I'm using a similar Cabac 8-way surge protector on my equipment which has great protection compared to some other more expensive devices.

Standout features are: 144,000 amps and 3,444 joules like yours, however someone at JB told me that you need to divide these values x8 as per the outlets because it's an overall figure of protection, not sure if that's correct or not.

For my LCD I'm using a single Belkin Power Cube with ADSL protection as it offers higher amps/joules protection than the standard single one.

Is it really necessary to have these surge protectors? My brother is an electrician and he was saying it is not likely that lightning will ever hit to cause the power surge... not sure if they are just there for piece of mind of a 1 in a million event occurring of if it actually is quite common.

I think you're better off not having a surge protector but enssuring you have the right household insurance. I lost 3 x 80cm Sony TV's, 2 x VCR's, 2 x DVD players, 2 x AVR's, etc after a lightning strike near the house in October.

My insurance company replaced all of the above with a 50" plasma, 46" LCD, Playstation 3, PVR and HD-DVD player and an AVR. Just about everything that I needed for two full systems, all I needed to stump up for was a second-hand Onkyo AVR for the kids room.

Having said that, I have bought surge protectors and even a couple of UPS'.

I'm using a similar Cabac 8-way surge protector on my equipment which has great protection compared to some other more expensive devices.

Standout features are: 144,000 amps and 3,444 joules like yours, however someone at JB told me that you need to divide these values x8 as per the outlets because it's an overall figure of protection, not sure if that's correct or not.

Sounds like BS to me... the surge protection is on the incoming power line (of which there is only one), the number of ports is not relivent.

Personally I just got a clipsal surge protector install into the power box. Simpler then protecting single devices :)

However against lightning and major surges no surge protector is protection. While I've never lost gear to lightning I have when a power-line came down a few blocks away. The only PC that lived with on the other side of a UPS and surge protector. The UPS had burn marks across it's circuit board... (and that was after a surge protector)

I think you're better off not having a surge protector but enssuring you have the right household insurance. I lost 3 x 80cm Sony TV's, 2 x VCR's, 2 x DVD players, 2 x AVR's, etc after a lightning strike near the house in October.

My insurance company replaced all of the above with a 50" plasma, 46" LCD, Playstation 3, PVR and HD-DVD player and an AVR. Just about everything that I needed for two full systems, all I needed to stump up for was a second-hand Onkyo AVR for the kids room.

Having said that, I have bought surge protectors and even a couple of UPS'.

Damn, i should have just plugged in all the old TVs & stuck a big metal pole on the roof during the last storm... hahaha...

Damn, i should have just plugged in all the old TVs & stuck a big metal pole on the roof during the last storm... hahaha...

Chances are the insurance company will increase your premium if you make a claim, so for the price increase put the money towards a surge protector.

Seriously, for $100 it is peace of mind stuff. If anything goes wrong at least you have the protection there. It is one of those things where you just do not know.

Who knows if Belkin pay out for any claims? If it is part of their warranty then they must have to, but no doubt they will have certain "clauses" in their small print ie you will have to be using the surge protector correctly ie not plugged into another extension lead etc.

Alan

Chances are the insurance company will increase your premium if you make a claim, so for the price increase put the money towards a surge protector.

Seriously, for $100 it is peace of mind stuff. If anything goes wrong at least you have the protection there. It is one of those things where you just do not know.

Who knows if Belkin pay out for any claims? If it is part of their warranty then they must have to, but no doubt they will have certain "clauses" in their small print ie you will have to be using the surge protector correctly ie not plugged into another extension lead etc.

Alan

I was refering to the fact that thru an insurance claim he got a 50" plasma & 2x46" LCD for the lost of 3 TV's(assuming they were CRTs) Must be like the new for old policy, even with an increase in premium, it was probaly worth the claim...

I was also kiddin 2 posts up...

Edited by mafia

Although adding some peace of mind, brown outs are far more dangerous to electrical equipment than surges (and far more common). A surge protector will not do diddly for brown outs. Installing a UPS, with decent surge protection will go much further to protecting the more expensive equipment you have around your house.

Cheers

Although adding some peace of mind, brown outs are far more dangerous to electrical equipment than surges (and far more common). A surge protector will not do diddly for brown outs. Installing a UPS, with decent surge protection will go much further to protecting the more expensive equipment you have around your house.

Cheers

Devices such as the Belkin Isolator include protection for the antenna lead as well as the power line. Although it is hard to believe it would be totally effective in the event of a direct hit it just might work and claiming on Belkins insurance rather than your home policy could affect your no claim status if any.