Ps3 The Best Overall Bang For Buck?

Kazz, I'v added far more to this topic than you so put a sock in it.

There will be a small Ps3 price drop in Q2 near the release of GTAIV in my humble estimation. You'll be waiting till Christmas though for a reasonable price as far as the average consumer is concerned again in my estimation.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is what SONY CENTRAL emailed me today:

This the details of the PS3 offer starting today, $799 bundle, includes PS3 Console, Sixaxis Controller, and one of the following games: Heavenly Sword, Uncharted:Drakes's Fortune, Ratch & Clank, NBA 08

Doesn't do much for me!

Would that include another controller?

800 bucks for that.. psshh please.

I would really like to sit here and argue page after page but I actually have a life and much better things to be doing.

Ahh the old "I have a life" defence. Quite ironic if you sit back and think about it ... Hint: You took time to make a post on an internet forum implying that someone spending time on an Internet forum is lame, whereas you aren't because you have a life ...

I see you again had nothing to say about the meat and potatoes of my previous posts and again resorted to character attacking

I notice again, as usual for slimy little trolls like yourself, that even though I have responded individually to every single one of your accusations, you have avoided every single question that I have posed to you.

and trying to make out that my words are predjudice to a group of the population that I am a part of even after I have already explained that I used ADHD as a metaphor. An African American can call a brother a Nigga am I right?

lol, I don't even know where to start with that one. I can't believe that you would try and use that last statement as a defense for saying "if you have ADHD buy a 360", even if you do have ADHD yourself. Just think about it for a minute and you will realise that it is wrong on so many levels.

I'm so glad that stupid isn't contagious.

you seem to be pretty happy to keep fueling the fire though andrew. i think deep down secretly you enjoy pointing out who is a troll or who is whatever that it is that that you dislike. dont you think people will get upset and start using below the belt comments because they feel intimidated??

i am over it, but i just wonder if you realised that if you where a bit more freindly, instead of a snobby arrogant geek, more people might like you instead of picking at you.

just a thought anyway. <_<

Easy there troll. I'll include a list of must have Ps3 exclusives and multiplats (NOT ports)

As much as Fanboys can't stand to admit it, the future of Ps3 as a gaming console is very bright.

If you are in the market for a next gen console:

-Get a 360 if you have ADHD and can accept a 30% failure rate

-Get a Ps3 if you are patient and want a reliable console with a 1% failure rate and the best value for money overall.

whered you hear x360 owners have adhd from codysmum?

if it was on here, then it must be true

even though it was a comment taken "out of context" and blown out of proportion.

so when is the next microsoft console due out has anyone heard? x360 has been around for about as long as the original xbox was supported for.....

I never said 360 owners had ADHD. I was refering to new buyers and It was a figure of speech, meaning buy a 360 if you have no patience to wait for the huge exclusives that are comming out for the Ps3 this year.

Rexjamo you missed the point entirely.

heres an interesting piece of information. i own a ps3 and i DO have ADHD

big deal anyway, just because i have ADHD, does it make me any less important than anybody else here :wacko:

people here are acting like ADHD sufferers are the pits or somethin

u definately dont have ADHD andrew. it shows by the way you have held onto that statement and havent gotten sick of it yet :wacko:

GET OVER IT ALREADY!!!!

dont you have anything better to whinge about?

Hey mate, I didn't mean to offend you. I guess I forgot to put the appropriate smiley after my comment like say this one: :P

Quoting me out of context though will be considered self pwnage :lol:

You shoud stop passing your opinion off as fact as it could make you come across as foolish.

I don't understand why people can call the 360 a superior gaming machine when It has been around for a whole year more than the ps3. Of course its going to have more games. The ps3 had a slow start but still did extremly well for its first year and will continue to do so. I can't see how a few extra features for the online experience can give it the edge over a free gaming experience on ps3 that works like a charm. Better controlers? not a fact, many including myself think Ps3 controllers are superior in every way. The lack of battery replacement, less bulky design and better button and analog stick placement makes it heaps easier and better to use in my opinion.

I don't care at all if somebody is a long respected member, what does that make his opinion a fact or something? Nonsense. I see that you had nothing to say about the meat and potatoes of my post and instead resorted to questioning my character and quoting me out of context. And to question my education? :lol: Not my fault you can't read between the lines. Never did I use ADHD as a denigrating term, for your information I have it myself.

Fact: The Ps3 is a games machine first and foremost, and will live a long and healthy life with an abudance of great games.

Once developers learn to use the systems resources more efficiently it will be producing games of exeptional quality with animations, AI and graphics the 360 could only dream of. It is most probable that it will be the system of choice for most people around the world excluding US and UK IMO. I say this because when the big 3 that I mentioned earlier hit the shelves, Ps3 will be selling like hotcakes. The only console game that can challenge GT for sales is GTA which is a multiplatform. MGS and FF are system sellers in their own right. The majority of gamers still havn't upgraded to a next gen console so there is still a HUGE amount of consoles to sell and these games alone will bring the ps3 up to a very competitive position in the console race. The Ps3 is a more future safe console IMHO!

I can't see any strong arguments that the 360 has more value for money than the ps3 when it does everything that 360 does and a whole lot more. Considering you have to spend extra $ for ad ons for the 360 to give it what Ps3 comes with out of the box. :excl:

my ADHD prevents me from writing anything as longwinded as that codysmum

:lol: <---- (appropriately placed little smiley face.... so you know i am joking) haha

I would really like to sit here and argue page after page but I actually have a life and much better things to be doing. I'm not your mate eh? Well obviously not, nor would I want to be. You obviously have failed to see another figure of speech like the previous ADHD comment. Now I will use one of your quotes in a character attacking manner like you have done: "Education standards really are slipping in this country". :lol:

I am really happy for you that you are so proud of your previous misquoting, and yes that example is similiar but hey, lets just get over it champ because this argument is off topic and is not even in the same theme. I see you again had nothing to say about the meat and potatoes of my previous posts and again resorted to character attacking and trying to make out that my words are predjudice to a group of the population that I am a part of even after I have already explained that I used ADHD as a metaphor. An African American can call a brother a Nigga am I right?

Getting sick of being pwned yet? Maybe its time for you to start posting on topic again or continue the true debate we are having. I'm sorry if I have made a self appointed forum Warrior and forum Master lose some credibility, but thats the price you pay for changing the subject constantly and resorting to very lame personal attacks. If your buddies want to go ahead and attempt to jump down my throat again good luck to them as its providing me with a good laugh. Now please, have a cry, get a tissue box and then lets get back on topic again. ;)

For the record: If anyone here who has ADHD was offended please let me know and I will give you a sincere apology, as I in no way wrote it in a denigrating way but I can understand that it could be taken that way.

you seem to be pretty happy to keep fueling the fire though andrew. i think deep down secretly you enjoy pointing out who is a troll or who is whatever that it is that that you dislike. dont you think people will get upset and start using below the belt comments because they feel intimidated??

i am over it, but i just wonder if you realised that if you where a bit more freindly, instead of a snobby arrogant geek, more people might like you instead of picking at you.

just a thought anyway.

Hmm, tag team time is it ?

You know I found it interesting that after codysmum came into this thread accusing me of being a troll for posting my opinions on the performance of the PS3 as a games machine to date, that the posting style seemed very similar to butterfingers. And the ADHD comment made me even more suspicious.

Imagine my surprise to see Butterfingers posting not long after, virtually high-fiving codysmum for having a go at me, when butterfingers hasn't posted since October.

And now we see that both codysmum and butterfingers not only claim to have ADHD, but you've got to admit that codysmum took a very strong, instant and irrational dislike to me.

The complete lack of any ability to put together a single sentence without at least one simple spelling mistake is a bit of a give away as well.

Give it up butters, the jig is up. It's not clever and it's not funny.

Over to you mods ...

you are sooo wrong andrew. just goes to show how freaky you really are.

whats "over to you mods" secret geek codework for anyway?? are you hinting to the moderators to ban me again cos i am hurting your feelings.

sorry sherlock, but i arent the same person as codysmum, nor do i know codysmum at all

just as well you arent a detective "sherlock" :wacko:

you are sooo wrong andrew. just goes to show how freaky you really are.

whats "over to you mods" secret geek codework for anyway?? are you hinting to the moderators to ban me again cos i am hurting your feelings.

sorry sherlock, but i arent the same person as codysmum, nor do i know codysmum at all

just as well you arent a detective "sherlock" :wacko:

got anything useful to contribute to this thread "butters" ?

the price of new release games and older games seems to have evened out to match the x360 at least.

thats a bonus too i reckon

price drops are a good thing. people just cannot afford asking prices of some games which have been up to $109

and even $119 for a ps3 game... but then, shopping around helps signficantly.

:lol: Keep up the good work AndrewW, your constant need to argue over something so small and presumption that you hold higher power than other people in the forum is priceless and I get a good laugh out of it. I am not "Butters" nor do I know him but he seems to have hit the nail on the head with his comments. Negative comments on peoples spelling is always a sign that someone is upset, thinks they are smarter and is looking for anything to throw at the person in question. It is weak, pathetic and automatically gives your comment a fail.

I'm sorry if you took my calling you a Troll as some kind of despicable act but in reality I was just giving you a little nudge and fuel for fire to start a debate. You on the other hand have called me stupid which is frankly a bit rude, but no worries there. I don't get upset over what someone calls me either on the net or in the real world. I'd again like to ask you to get over it so the thread can get back on topic. I will make no further comments on the matter ;)

i would like to add, if you are looking for a cheaper priced ps3, i would not discourage buying a second hand (pre loved of course) unit. they are totally reliable in my opinion. i would consider up to a twelve month old one at this point, for the right price of course (would be hoping for a few hundred off current retail at least)(not the price of purchase initially)

Most of my games I have bought off ebay second hand, played once, no scratches. E-bay is great as I have saved a lot of money this way (Up to $70 less than retail), you just have to make sure you are buying from people with good feedback. I have only been burned once with a Ps2 game that was apparently in excellent condition but in reality it was so scratched it wouldn't boot up. Not bad after more than 100 game purchases over the years. I always get regestered or express too, just to be sure.

So many people buy games, play through them once and sell them right away. What I have found is that you have to search for specific games eg Assassins Creed Ps3. A search for Ps3 games leaves out many, many games and you get consoles and accessories in the search too. Their search function needs improvement. If its a brand new game, its JB all the way. Sometimes K-mart, Target and Big W have good specials though. I never buy from EB any more. Infact I despise them. Always sell your games on e-bay as you will get double or triple what EB could offer for trade in. Less convenient but it pays off ;)

i would definately feel ok with second hand hardware though, as long as it was cared for ok. i am not so sure about discs though. they are pretty fragile items. i recall discs that work in some machines, but not others, for example. at least you can get a refund if you buy it from a store i guess, but online might be different

i would definately feel ok with second hand hardware though, as long as it was cared for ok. i am not so sure about discs though. they are pretty fragile items. i recall discs that work in some machines, but not others, for example. at least you can get a refund if you buy it from a store i guess, but online might be different

True! That fact and the 7 day return policy is the only thing that trade in shops have going for them. Many Ebay-Stores have a return policy or 7 days though you will rarely find that for a private seller. I havn't imported for a while, but that is also a nice option on Ebay. You can pick up US versions for cheaper than over here and also get games that won't come out over here for months sometimes.

Its a good thing that Blu-Ray is so resistant to scratches, I'v seen a test on youtube where some dude took a whole range of objects too the disk including: Steel wool, A pen and a butchers knife. It booted up on all except for when he took chunks off it with the Knife. Whether it would freeze during playback is another story though. It does appear that the medium is a lot more resistant than a DVD with this fancy coating but I hear that finger prints can causes errors in playback. They are easily fixed though.

At least the console dosn't scratch your disks like another popular console is becomming renowned for. Anyway cartridges for the win! Those were the days, never a worry in the world for your games! :D

Is the 40gb PS3 backwards compatible with PS2 Games ?

Nope, but don't get too cut up about it, because the backwards compatibility was pretty shoddy even in the 60Gb model.

Do a quick search and you will find plenty of people bemoaning the poor level of PS2 game support.

You'd be much better off picking up a cheap PS2 (or keeping your current one) if you have a large catalogue of PS2 games.

I honestly think that 40 G PS3 and PS2 are much better value than a 60G PS3 if you are not interested in HD audio formats which are not supported in 40G PS3. Why should one wear out the blu-ray drive in PS3 by playing PS2 games and DVDs since 40G PS3 + PS2 are cheaper than 60G PS3.

Best regards.

You shoud stop passing your opinion off as fact as it could make you come across as foolish.

And immediately followed by you passing off opinion as fact :wacko:

Better controlers? not a fact, many including myself think Ps3 controllers are superior in every way. The lack of battery replacement, less bulky design and better button and analog stick placement makes it heaps easier and better to use in my opinion.

Sorry, to me that one is fact. Even though I just got my brand new Dual Shock 3 imported from Japan, I still prefer the weight, feel and layout of the 360 controller. Logitech copied the 360 controller for the PS3 but lack of motion sensing and rumble crippled what could have been the best PS3 controller to own.

Fact: The Ps3 is a games machine first and foremost

Don't tell HJ that :P

Considering you have to spend extra $ for ad ons for the 360 to give it what Ps3 comes with out of the box. :excl:

So I'm imagining I had to pay extra to get as basic a feature as rumble?

And immediately followed by you passing off opinion as fact :wacko:

Sorry, to me that one is fact. Even though I just got my brand new Dual Shock 3 imported from Japan, I still prefer the weight, feel and layout of the 360 controller. Logitech copied the 360 controller for the PS3 but lack of motion sensing and rumble crippled what could have been the best PS3 controller to own.

Don't tell HJ that :P

So I'm imagining I had to pay extra to get as basic a feature as rumble?

It is a shame that the Sixaxis wasn't originaly equiped with rumble but its not like Sony did it to rip off their customers, there was a lot of politics involved. Either way, i'm quite happy to buy another controller as I will have a spare and a 2nd for the few 2 player games that come out these days. I thought the weight of the original would bother me too but after a few days I didn't notice the difference. I'm actually a big fan of the new L2 and R2 trigger buttons as it provides a lot more subtle analog for some types of games, hate using it to shoot though. R1 and L1 work far better IMO. I think the layout is far better than the 360 controller because of the Analog stick placement that sits in the natural position for your thumbs and I have big hands too. Why anyone thinks the non symetrical placement of the 360 sticks is better is beyond me. The directional buttons and anolog buttons are also much better in quality and placement IMO.

Why people keep saying the Ps3 analog is less arcurate than the 360 is also beyond me. The Ps3 has more room for movement and uses 10 bit analog while the 360 only uses 8 bit. Many people must not like to tinker with the sensitivity, like I always do untill it is perfect for me. Alot of it comes down to game developers and their controller programming. Why most games don't let you change the deadzone of the analog is dissapointing but hopefully will be more common in the future. The fact that Playstation has been using the same shape in their controllers for 10+ years is proof that they have all but perfected it for the time being (As far as the majority are concerned), Millions agree with me. Sony were threatened with a boycott from PS fans all over the world when there were talks of a change in shape and a rather awefull looking prototype.

It all comes down to personal preference though, but it is a myth that if you have big hands the PS controller won't be comfortable to you. I hear this far too often. B)