Samsung P9 (ps50p91fdx) Owners Thread

Hey there Bumblefreak, I had pretty similar problems to you - sparkles in the picture when it warms up, same TV (I think I remember you buying at around the same time as me actually). I didn't do anything about it for a while until about 2 months ago - reported it to Samsung who put me onto a local repairer. The local repairer was useless - no communication, complete lack of customer service. After 6 weeks or so of delays, Samsung called us and said they were giving us a new TV! An 850 series 8. It just arrived today. Very happy with this, excellent customer service and this time we didn't have to push.

I remember when everyone was buying the P91 back in early 2008 and hearing about all of the delays and difficulties dealing with Samsung. Well this time I am very happy - great service and well handled by Samsung. It's a shame that they didn't give you a new TV straight away. We didn't even have a tech visit us - they replaced it sight unseen. Must be a common issue and judging from the posts here, it certainly appears to be that way.

I'd buy another Samsung for sure, although I understand why you jumped camp.

Guys, I think I may have the same issue as you...can you describe more about the sparkle? Is it the edges of the picture is fuzzy? I also have 4-5 dead pixels, what do you think I should do? I want a new TV too....Seriously

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, I think I may have the same issue as you...can you describe more about the sparkle? Is it the edges of the picture is fuzzy? I also have 4-5 dead pixels, what do you think I should do? I want a new TV too....Seriously

I didn't deliberately set out to get a new TV by any means. It's just that the local repairer was so useless at getting parts and probably forgot to even order them... So when Samsung called us 6 weeks later after logging the fault to see where the repair was at, we told them that the repairer hadn't received the parts from Samsung and they weren't telling us what was going on. The person from Samsung took pity on us, assigned us a case worker and apologised, telling us that they would send us a new TV.

We didn't push, we didn't threaten, we didn't demand anything. They just organised it.

We certainly weren't expecting a new TV. We didn't take the hardline approach - they just did it. I remember when the original bonus TV offer was on and some people were threatening with lawyers and the ACCC. Well that doesn't tend to get results when dealing with companies like this - they don't have to give you a new TV so if you end up with one - great! If they fix what you have - well that's what the contract says they will do.

As far as the issue goes, I was getting coloured sparkling dots in dark parts of the picture. It was occurring primarily after the unit had warmed up. It wouldn't reproduce 100% of the time, but it was occurring most of the time. You'd see a bunch of red, blue and green dots randomly appearing in dark parts of the picture. As I mentioned, it was after the unit had warmed up, not generally whilst it was cold.

Same here. The issue for me was mainly green but a few red and blue dots dancing around in all the dark areas of the picture.This only happened after the TV had been on for 3 hours or more. Not really noticable in standard definition but in Blu-Ray playback and Playstation 3 playback it was very noticeable. I also would have been happy if they had just fixed the issue. Unfortunatley for me they made my TV worse by trying to fix it. Even if your TV is suffering a different problem the Samsung policy is that they will attempt to fix it 3 times and then either replace the tv or refund you. That is if you are still under warranty. I'm not sure what Samsung dead pixel statement reads but if there are only one or two they will not replace the screen but if there are more then they will. There is usually a statement on their website that states how many dead pixels have to exist before they will look at it.

I didn't deliberately set out to get a new TV by any means. It's just that the local repairer was so useless at getting parts and probably forgot to even order them... So when Samsung called us 6 weeks later after logging the fault to see where the repair was at, we told them that the repairer hadn't received the parts from Samsung and they weren't telling us what was going on. The person from Samsung took pity on us, assigned us a case worker and apologised, telling us that they would send us a new TV.

We didn't push, we didn't threaten, we didn't demand anything. They just organised it.

We certainly weren't expecting a new TV. We didn't take the hardline approach - they just did it. I remember when the original bonus TV offer was on and some people were threatening with lawyers and the ACCC. Well that doesn't tend to get results when dealing with companies like this - they don't have to give you a new TV so if you end up with one - great! If they fix what you have - well that's what the contract says they will do.

As far as the issue goes, I was getting coloured sparkling dots in dark parts of the picture. It was occurring primarily after the unit had warmed up. It wouldn't reproduce 100% of the time, but it was occurring most of the time. You'd see a bunch of red, blue and green dots randomly appearing in dark parts of the picture. As I mentioned, it was after the unit had warmed up, not generally whilst it was cold.

Thanks simopimo, I didnt mean to say you did it deliberately... B) I just wanted to know more about the issue, it sounds very similar to what i have, however I think I need to stand right in front (up close) to the TV to see the flickering dots in the darker regions (they're usually green), probably cant see them from a distance tho...so not sure if it's the same issue. I think my set is out of the standard Samsung warranty (2yrs), but I did buy extra 3 yrs warranty so does that mean I should contact Myer instead of Samsung?

Thanks

Same here. The issue for me was mainly green but a few red and blue dots dancing around in all the dark areas of the picture.This only happened after the TV had been on for 3 hours or more. Not really noticable in standard definition but in Blu-Ray playback and Playstation 3 playback it was very noticeable. I also would have been happy if they had just fixed the issue. Unfortunatley for me they made my TV worse by trying to fix it. Even if your TV is suffering a different problem the Samsung policy is that they will attempt to fix it 3 times and then either replace the tv or refund you. That is if you are still under warranty. I'm not sure what Samsung dead pixel statement reads but if there are only one or two they will not replace the screen but if there are more then they will. There is usually a statement on their website that states how many dead pixels have to exist before they will look at it.

yeah Bumblefreak, see for me the green gots dancing issue happens even before the TV warms up. what happened was I had a local samsung repairer came in for dead pixels and he replaced the whole internal of the TV already. However a few more dead pixels (maybe 4-5) had popped up. But the problem is my set is out of Samsung warranty, it's in the Myer extended warranty now (3 more yrs).

I have a "problem" with my 58" version of the p9, It seems to occasionally sort of turn on and flicker then turn off. I was told it might be doing / trying to do a auto update. But i cant turn it off, when i go to the update screen it mentions either Airport or something or USB, if i pick USB then it asks me to insert a USB stick. So i leave it on Airport and thats when it does these flicker update things occasionally.

Thanks simopimo, I didnt mean to say you did it deliberately... B) I just wanted to know more about the issue, it sounds very similar to what i have, however I think I need to stand right in front (up close) to the TV to see the flickering dots in the darker regions (they're usually green), probably cant see them from a distance tho...so not sure if it's the same issue. I think my set is out of the standard Samsung warranty (2yrs), but I did buy extra 3 yrs warranty so does that mean I should contact Myer instead of Samsung?

Thanks

No offence taken homersyd... The flickering dots on my screen were visible across the room for me - it made the picture overall more fuzzy in the dark parts. At first, nobody else in the family cared about it except me, although it did start to bug the wife after a while because it seemed to get worse. I had an extended warranty too, but logged the call with Samsung with about 2 months to go on the standard 2 year warranty. It seemed to occur more often when using the Xbox 360 - maybe it was pushing it harder because it was running on VGA at 1920x1080... Not sure.

Funny thing is, I've seen this on a couple of LG Plasmas too.

So it sounds like a similar issue to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I have fallen victim to the sparkling pixels.

TV runs out of warranty in two months, so I've logged a warranty call with Samsung and have Maxtech (in Canberra) coming to pick it up for repairs. They said they don't do any repair work on-site, even though the Samsung policy says otherwise. I fully anticipate not having the TV for a long time, so have ordered a projector, might end up replacing the TV altogether.

I've made a video of it so people can see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjsmlDf4PAE

• 2 weeks later...

TV runs out of warranty in two months, so I've logged a warranty call with Samsung and have Maxtech (in Canberra) coming to pick it up for repairs. They said they don't do any repair work on-site, even though the Samsung policy says otherwise. I fully anticipate not having the TV for a long time, so have ordered a projector, might end up replacing the TV altogether.

Hey guys i have exactly the same problem as WalamusPrime, get the problem when the unit heats up and on HDMI, the service guys have came out like 5 times already! have changed the power supply and mainboard, as i was having issues with the buzzing noise also.

i called samsung to tell them this is ridiculous as they have came out like 5 times a few days ago a tech came to get a report for samsung, i got an sms today from sound vision a tech will come out again to replace the screen! as they said head office declined was a load of rubbish as i called samsung direct and they never received the report!

getting them to send report to samsung now, and will call samsung and see what they're going to do stuff this repair guy coming out as it inconveniences to leave work for them to try and fix, hopefully get a replacement too!

I've been having a fair few issues with my p91 since the start of December. They've been out 4 times so far (3 in the last 5wks, 1st time at the start 2008 with the sparkling picture issue). Was getting random white pixels all over dark areas on all sources. The tech replaced the mainboard again, then another visit for the panel, and then another for the power and voltage adjustment. The white pixels have just been made black and now affects all mid-tones instead. Got a call from Samsung directly last week, told them of the issue and they told me to report back to the tech and if they can't fix it, then Sammy will look after me.

Reported to the tech today and just waiting now. As much as I like plasma's, wondering if its worth grabbing an LED instead. A real shame about all this, really like Samsung and the TV was great for so long....

grrrrrrrrr

well after a couple of years of pretty trouble free* tv viewing, my P9 is giving me the white sparkly dot issues AGAIN

seems like others are having issues too

my TV is wall mounted, so a little difficult to test other HDMI inputs (i run a single output from an AV receiver)

will have a bit of a play on the weekend, and see how i go

my TV has been fixed twice already, not sure whether to push them to try and get a refund/replacement

thoughts?

thanks guys

* - i posted on page 4 and onward of this thread, had the buzzing - fixed. had the white sparkly dot issues - fixed. had no real issues for a couple of years, hence haven't been around here much.

Have updated the video with music. Old one won't work anymore.

So my TV was taken away on the 30/04/10 and I still have not heard from them. When they picked it up the guy said they would replace the panel but, I am still doubtful they will get it fixed.

Edited by WalamusPrime

have placed a call with my extended warranty people (Product Cover - Myer) and they're looking into it

i'm hoping i can get a refund or a new TV out of it!!!

They have just replaced the front panel today, will know in about an hour if there's a still a problem

so i get a call from Marks Electronics (Melbourne) who say they've been sent the warranty job (weird, as i'm in Sydney)

anyway, they're ordering the part (assuming HDMI board) and will come and pick up my TV and install and test and will return within a week

pain in the ass though, as i'll need to take it down off the wall, and unplug everything :(

they did mention on the phone that it's a common problem, and they know how to fix it

so, no new TV for me :(

this will be the 3rd time my TV has been repaired, BUT unfortunately my extended warranty claims that i'll only get a replacement after 4 repairs :(

kind of crossing my fingers that something else goes wrong before the end of the year (when extended warranty runs out)

will keep you posted

cheers

I have one of these TV's and have been reading with interest about the "dancing dots" issue. I only managed to test with a 1080p input recently and unfortunately my tv has the same issue. It's out of warranty and I was wondering if anyone knows approx how much it would be to fix. Importantly, does anynoe know the exact fix or component that needs to be replaced? Can anyone recommend a reputable repairer?

I have one of these TV's and have been reading with interest about the "dancing dots" issue. I only managed to test with a 1080p input recently and unfortunately my tv has the same issue. It's out of warranty and I was wondering if anyone knows approx how much it would be to fix. Importantly, does anynoe know the exact fix or component that needs to be replaced? Can anyone recommend a reputable repairer?

i'm still waiting for samsung to get back to me as my issue has not resolved, when they replaced the front panel i saw the invoice for the panel it was $1900! you can buy a brand new full HD 50inch for less!

there's dots dancing around but not as bad but now i can tell even when it's on HD TV with black scenes.

which state/suburb are you in?

i'm still waiting for samsung to get back to me as my issue has not resolved, when they replaced the front panel i saw the invoice for the panel it was $1900! you can buy a brand new full HD 50inch for less!

there's dots dancing around but not as bad but now i can tell even when it's on HD TV with black scenes.

did they replace the whole screen part?

my past repairs have been boards only

After three weeks I got my TV returned today. As soon as it was turned on the pixels were sparkling like crazy as they do.

Mine had the panel replaced.

Since the guy was there he took the TV back with him. Guess I'll need to wait another three weeks to get my non-repaired TV back.

After three weeks I got my TV returned today. As soon as it was turned on the pixels were sparkling like crazy as they do.

Mine had the panel replaced.

Since the guy was there he took the TV back with him. Guess I'll need to wait another three weeks to get my non-repaired TV back.

is this manufacturer warranty repairs or extended warranty repairs?

how old is the TV?

it could be time to start complaining to try and get a new TV/refund?

is this manufacturer warranty repairs or extended warranty repairs?

how old is the TV?

it could be time to start complaining to try and get a new TV/refund?

This is still under the Samsung 2 yr warranty (expires in less than a month), so TV is just under 2 years old.

Turns out they worked on the TV over the weekend replacing the main board. So they took it back on friday, and returned it to me on monday.

Was watching TV all last night, and guess what... the pixels started to sparkle again. Note, the sparkling is not as severe as it was before, but it is still there and still annoyingly noticeable. I think the sparkling gets worse over time.

So called Samsung, advised of two repair attempts, they advise they can give me "other options" after the TV has been attempted to be repaired three times.

So I'm doing the dance again with the local repairer, they're picking it up tomorrow.

I will post another youtube video tonight of the sparkles after the repair.

Note: I tested on the xbox 360 over HDMI and on my blu-ray over HDMI (using a different cable for each) and they both sparkle. I even tested a different power cable to just to be thorough, still sparkles.

This is still under the Samsung 2 yr warranty (expires in less than a month), so TV is just under 2 years old.

Turns out they worked on the TV over the weekend replacing the main board. So they took it back on friday, and returned it to me on monday.

Was watching TV all last night, and guess what... the pixels started to sparkle again. Note, the sparkling is not as severe as it was before, but it is still there and still annoyingly noticeable. I think the sparkling gets worse over time.

So called Samsung, advised of two repair attempts, they advise they can give me "other options" after the TV has been attempted to be repaired three times.

So I'm doing the dance again with the local repairer, they're picking it up tomorrow.

I will post another youtube video tonight of the sparkles after the repair.

Note: I tested on the xbox 360 over HDMI and on my blu-ray over HDMI (using a different cable for each) and they both sparkle. I even tested a different power cable to just to be thorough, still sparkles.

When they replaced my front panel when you turn on the TV it sparkled straight away on FTA TV, it's very noticeable and worst then before. Getting the run around with Samsung, they have asked the service centre to send a report and got me to send in my invoice to them will wait to see what happens in the hands of Samsung now with they VOC department (voice of concern) they have replaced mainboard, power supply and front panel already.

When they replaced my front panel when you turn on the TV it sparkled straight away on FTA TV, it's very noticeable and worst then before. Getting the run around with Samsung, they have asked the service centre to send a report and got me to send in my invoice to them will wait to see what happens in the hands of Samsung now with they VOC department (voice of concern) they have replaced mainboard, power supply and front panel already.

Sounds like we are in the exact same boat mate. The sparkles did happen straight away on the menu screen before a picture came up on mine too. I'm just wondering which model they will give us as a replacement... Probably the series 5. TBH I'd rather a refund for what I paid (bout $2600).

http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/tv-audi...b=specification