Paramount = Hd-dvd Exclusive

ovies.

Solely for Paramount/Dreamworks going to HD-DVD.

I reckon it would have been a bigger blow to the Blu-Ray camp if Warner went HD-DVD exclusive rather than Paramount.

You think so, just have a look at the Paramount catalogue it's massive, also Paramount are the No. 1 box office grossing studio in the US so far this year. Warner would be great but Paramount is just as good IMO.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When they charge upwards of $40 retail for HD media, they were never giving away anything. Paramount's decision had nothing to do with providing a better service to consumers; it was solely predicated on a cash payment from Microsoft (just as I imagine Disney and Fox's alliance to Blu-Ray was obtained through payments from Sony). The only loser in decisions such as this is the consumer who, ironically, is the sole reason these Studios exist and prosper.

Please, spare us. Fox, Disney, MGM & Sony all made 'business' decisions to be blu-ray exclusive and i didn't see any blu-ray supporter shouting from the roof tops how unfair that was to HD DVD supporters. Paramount have now made their business decision and just because it doesn't suit the blu-ray mob they now cry foul how the consumer is the loser, what rot.

The truth is blu-ray supporters have been crowing for months about how good the US Blockbuster decision was and so on, it's about time HD DVD kicked a goal, the news is a breath of fresh air IMO. The consumer is the winner in this format war, why do you think hardware prices have come down so quickly.

Viacom's statement that "the decision to distribute exclusively in the HD DVD format resulted from an extensive evaluation of current market offerings, which confirmed the clear benefits of HD DVD, particularly its market-ready technology and lower manufacturing costs" is about as believable as the BDA's statements that BD has won the format war. Paramount were bought, just as Fox and Disney were bought. It has nothing to do with current market offerings or manufacturing costs.

Nothing to do with this? Nothing?

You don't believe that HD DVD has the more "market-ready technology"? BD 1.1 and BD 2.0 compliance wouldn't be something of a concern to the studios?

You don't believe that HD DVD has lower manufacturing costs?

I can quite believe that money changed hands for this deal but I wouldn't be quite bold enough to stake anything on it being the be-all-and-end-all of it. Likewise with Fox and Disney.

The thing with making generalisations is that they're generally wrong.

Your claims of objectivity are looking a little shakey.

Blu-Ray does have a strong defence and a few great strikers! Won't be long till Blu-Ray scores another goal :ph34r:

An own goal more likely....

If anyone wants a giggle - read Bill Hunts editorial this morning - he must have done his nana when he got up and read the Paramount press release - I have visions of him steaming like a poker player who just went all in and lost the lot. :rolleyes:

Paramount were bought, just as Fox and Disney were bought. It has nothing to do with current market offerings or manufacturing costs.

It's a business decision dude, the only thing that matters is the bottom line... which has everything to do with market offerings and manufacturing costs.

Noticed some people, in the past, say studios for consumers and all that crap.

The Studios, no matter who they are, who they support. They don't give a **** about anyone except for their pockets.

Although some of their pockets may have holes in them :ph34r: And need refilling from time to time :P That's when all the Super Special Extended Directors Cut Extreme Widescreen Collectors Edition are released.

Edited by plasmafreak

• Volunteer
An own goal more likely....

If anyone wants a giggle - read Bill Hunts editorial this morning - he must have done his nana when he got up and read the Paramount press release - I have visions of him steaming like a poker player who just went all in and lost the lot. :rolleyes:

Yep, seems in a bit of a flap doesn't he? :lol:

Cheers,

Karen.

Warner would be loving this.

As the last big studio standing that supports both formats, they will be waiting for both camps to come running with bucket loads of cash to go exclusive.

Question is who has more money??

Noticed some people, in the past, say studios for consumers and all that crap.

The Studios, no matter who they are, who they support. They don't give a **** about anyone except for their pockets.

Although some of their pockets may have holes in them :ph34r: And need refilling from time to time :P

Exactly, which is why if a company releases a format that places limitations (DRM, region coding, etc) on where/how you can view a disc you have bought you should tell said company to stick their limitations up their a**.

It ain't about Microsoft vs Sony, it's about choosing the format that is best for us consumers!

• Volunteer
Thats not a question - its a statement. MS could buy Sony out of pocket change.

Maybe thats the answer then we could end this war pretty quickly. :ph34r: :ph34r: :rolleyes::lol::lol:

Cheers,

Karen

Yep, seems in a bit of a flap doesn't he? :lol:

First time I've intentionally gone to his site in months.

What a laugh :P

Well... the high-definition format war just got more confusing for consumers, and you can thank the hubris of the folks at Microsoft for it. Their HD-DVD format (because I'm sorry, can anyone really say it still belongs to Toshiba at this point?) badly needed a shot in the arm going into the holiday season, and just got it thanks to suitcases full of cash from the Microsoft camp

I wonder just how much the BDA pay 'ol Bill for his marketing services ?

People in glass houses, Bill.

oh, and it just gets better:

'll tell you, this doesn't change our opinion of the eventual outcome of the format war too much. HD-DVD is never going to win this thing. The best it can hope for at this rate, even with the paid involvment of Paramount and DreamWorks, is to stay in the game. But let's face it... if money has to be involved for HD-DVD to stay in the game, that says a lot right there. And while Paramount and DreamWorks will no doubt earn lots of scorn from the rest of the industry, and they'll each make a couple extra movies with Microsoft's money while their stockholders giggle with glee, eventually business realities will dictate that they'll change their tune again. Unless Microsoft pays them more money still. One wonders if Universal just got another paycheck too.

what a complete tool. I'm sure the BDA haven't even paid money to any studios or retailers to guarantee support for BD :rolleyes:

Yawn. Ballsy move, but one that doesn't mean much in the long run. It's just prolonging the format "war" and making consumers more confused about which hi-def format they should support, thus slowing HD uptake and keeping content costs high.

Combo players will do to this format war what combo-burners did to DVD+ and DVD- discs. Render it, in the end, null and void. They're just trying to make as much cash as they can while this lasts. Annoying, but it's just business.

Yawn. Ballsy move, but one that doesn't mean much in the long run. It's just prolonging the format "war" and making consumers more confused about which hi-def format they should support, thus slowing HD uptake and keeping content costs high.

Combo players will do to this format war what combo-burners did to DVD+ and DVD- discs. Render it, in the end, null and void. They're just trying to make as much cash as they can while this lasts. Annoying, but it's just business.

I agree with that - except that a format war drives prices down - not up. Its the consumer confusion that keeps sales low.

I agree with that - except that a format war drives prices down - not up. Its the consumer confusion that keeps sales low.

This should be true, but because consumer confusion is keeping the sales down, blu-ray and hd-dvd is seen as 'new technology' with a slow uptake, which keeps prices high on the discs. Certainly though, I hope the format war DOES drive prices down, because they're certainly too expensive at the moment in my eyes. I just haven't seen the prices drop in quite some time...

Warner would be loving this.

As the last big studio standing that supports both formats, they will be waiting for both camps to come running with bucket loads of cash to go exclusive.

Question is who has more money??

Warners has total HD. Which is looking like a pretty good idea at the moment.

Blu-Ray does have a strong defence and a few great strikers! Won't be long till Blu-Ray scores (Kevin Rudd) another goal :ph34r:

What, in the form of BD+ and then your region free BD player becomes a brick if the studios decides to enforce regional coding on HD content??

Edited by paulw2