Best Small Hd Display

I'm looking for a good quality 16:9 screen that I can use as a monitor to check focus and colour on a video shoot using the new Panasonic P2 camcorder.

A professional HD display would cost more than the camera! So I'm prepared to compromise.

I'll be shooting on 1080 25P, but the camera outputs this as 1080i via component.

The display would need:

Component HD inputs

Good deinterlacer and scaler that can deinterlace 1080i to 1080p and scale appropriately, (or display as 1:1).

Accurate video image, (colour, gamma, D65, etc.).

I've looked at a BenQ 1200x1920 display, and I'm aware of the similar Dell display, but they're a bit big to lug around on location.

I don't mind if the display is of a lower resolution, as long as it scales well, is sharp, and has fairly accurate colour.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have.

I suggest you send the digital output of the camera to a 17” laptop with a 1920x1200 display that has been calibrated with a good PC monitor calibration system.

That should be more accurate and more flexible then a monitor.

If you use a monitor on its own you will need to get it calibrated for colour, gamma and black level etc.

We made a feature movie over March & April. We were using a Dell 24" 1920x1200 monitor, with component inputs.

However we quickly found that the LCD monitors are totally inadequate for judging exposure. A second major problem was that despite accepting the 1080i input, it was actually doing some sort of scaling. (I suspect it was cutting off the left & right edges.) Therefore we found it was also impossible to be sure about focus and what detail was being captured (e.g. I suspect makeup could be seen in ECU's), and focus is particularly critical when filming HD. Having read various forums it appears that the only one of Dell's monitors that does not do the scaling problem is their 27" model. But this does not get around the inherent exposure problem.

I suggest you go to dvinfo.net where they have many filmmaking forums, including a specific one on monitors at:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=112

It seems Owen's idea is the best solution.

Cyberacc, what did you end up using in place of the Dell?

The Benq I looked at had 1:1 scaling as a menu option, so this might be better for focus than the Dell.