Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

The heat haze issue is fixed in the current firmware. Call them up and say you want version 1008 or 1009 sent to you. They might deny 1009 existing, but hey, that's another free USB key you can get out of them later :P

Maybe 1009 is only a temporary fix before 1010? That's why they don't want to send it out?

Thats the first I heard of this?

I posted a few pages back about the Heat Haze issue. Heat Haze is the result of LCDs displaying a poor image from a poor image source (i.e. standard def free to air TV).

Heat Haze appears on all brands of TV I've looked at, and is not a fault with the Samsung unit

You will not see Heat Haze on DVDs, Blueray or "real" High Def Free to Air shows.

And to the people asking about whether they should get the F series TVs - my 2cents is 100% yes - the TV is amazing. Just turn off 100Hz Motion Plus and you will be amazed with the TV (that is the only 'fault' at the moment).

Check out CNet review.... NOT GOOD!

http://www.cnet.com.au/tvs/lcd/0,239035307,339285901,00.htm

Then look at their review on the Sharp...

http://www.cnet.com.au/tvs/lcd/0,239035307,339284715,00.htm

Might be stopping my delivery this morning and going for the Aqueos... any opinions?

Note CNET's conclusion "The score we have awarded the LA46F81BDX reflects its inability to perform as advertised. With the 100Hz feature disabled, it is a truly excellent television and would have received a score on-par with other high-end models we have reviewed."

It really comes down to your personal preference. I still feel that without the Motion Plus it is an excellent TV and provides great value for money. But don't buy it if you want it for it's Motion Plus.

Hi all,

My 40" F81 is coming tomorrow morning, and i have just discovered this thread!

To put it lightly, I AM VERY CONCERNED!!

107 pages of thread - WOW! Is there some issues with these TV's or what?!

Can someone put it in a nutshell for me - SHOULD I BE TAKING DELIVERY OF THIS SET OR NOT?

I don't know enough about the issues, and HDTV techno terminology / technology to make an informed decision by tomorrow morning.

Should I ring The Good Guys and tell them to keep it, and maybe order the Sharp 42" 100Hz model?

Help please....

Fairways and Greens..

I have purchased the same model and have had no dramas.....except for the 100hz and a slight lean in the screen. I still sleep at night !!!

Like any panel put crap signal in....get crap picture out...........HD and DVD works excellent.

Sorry If this has been asked before but where do i find this petition ?

I have upgraded from a 46F81 to a 52F81 a(fter the 46 had issues) which also has the heat haze issue. Samsung tech support isnt the most helpful or quick in responding

Regards

DSJ

You will find it in my sig.

I signed the petition, but with the fact it doesn't require a valid e-mail address or mailing address I really doubt anyone would take that petition seriously.

Plus that's the first site I've come accross in a long time that managed to launch pop ups through my pop up blockers. Seems like a poor choice of site to host the petition.

I spoke with myer in Bondi Junction (Sydney) last night and he said he could sell me a an 46" f8 for $2899 inc ext warranty and delivery in theory but as Samsung could not garantee they could fill all their back orders that they might be able to provide me with the set.

The upshot is that i would have to pay for it and if it wasnt delivered i would lose %10 on the refund and there was no talking my way around it as i tried my best :)

Hey all. My first post

Ive replaced an older 32" Teac with the new F series Samsung 46". Prob is, I connect a laptop into the only VGA input.

My Xbox 360 has a VGA cable, with an Optical Out socket I use to connect to my Pioneer Amp's only Optical in.

The Samsung has 1 Optical Out, which Ive hooked up to the amp so tv is piped through the amp.

My question is: If I buy a new Xbox 360 HDMI cable & plug into the TV, will the Samsung output the Audio to the Amp while Im playing the Xbox 360, via the optical cable, in full 5.1? Is it true pass-through without converting the signal?

I ask because the Samsung obviously only has stereo speakers. I dont want to convert or miss out on the audio.

Im also assuming that the Samsung will output the Xbox's audio through the Optical Audio Out.

I presume it would?

HDMI input should output your 5.1 to the TV, and if the TV is outputting 5.1 through optical to your stereo, I don't see why it would just play your xbox sound through the internal speakers?

Of couse though I'm yet to buy speakers for mine and just running off the stereo internals so I can't give you a definate answer.

QUOTE(Dragansj @ Feb 28 2008, 09:18 AM)

I have upgraded from a 46F81 to a 52F81 a(fter the 46 had issues) which also has the heat haze issue. Samsung tech support isnt the most helpful or quick in responding

Regards

DSJ

You will find it in my sig.

--------------------

Samsung F8 petition to fix Motion Plus:

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/Sams...MotionPlusIssue

Huh???? "Heat Haze" issues and "Motion Plus" issues are NOT the same thing, and are completelty unrelated. Please do not confuse the two.

Regards

DSJ

What is the firmare version on your 52" FB. Mine is T-PENYDAU0-1004 and I would like to know if any other 52" owners have a later one.

Hey all. My first post

Ive replaced an older 32" Teac with the new F series Samsung 46". Prob is, I connect a laptop into the only VGA input.

My Xbox 360 has a VGA cable, with an Optical Out socket I use to connect to my Pioneer Amp's only Optical in.

The Samsung has 1 Optical Out, which Ive hooked up to the amp so tv is piped through the amp.

My question is: If I buy a new Xbox 360 HDMI cable & plug into the TV, will the Samsung output the Audio to the Amp while Im playing the Xbox 360, via the optical cable, in full 5.1? Is it true pass-through without converting the signal?

I ask because the Samsung obviously only has stereo speakers. I dont want to convert or miss out on the audio.

Im also assuming that the Samsung will output the Xbox's audio through the Optical Audio Out.

I'm about to buy the 360 with HDMI and will have the same issue.

There are 3 solutions.

1. Buy the official Microsoft HDMI with Optical output cable (so HDMI goes to TV, and Optical goes straight to sound system).

2. Make your own adapter: http://www.chadledford.com/?p=50

3. Plug HDMI into the TV, then output the sound to the sound system (but I suspect it wont be true passthrough)

edit: also check this out for point 2: http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43484

Edited by lioannou

Brilliant move by you ingxen - seems that shook Samsung a bit - now everyone else in here get onto emailing CNET Australia and let's get this moving some more becuase even though Samsung know of and read this forum the great majority of the public don't (which is exactly what Samsung are hoping never happens - for obvious reasons) - hence, we have to get influential groups like CNET listening to our tales of woe regarding our Samsung experiences with the F81 TV. I will email them now and add my weight to the cause:-)

Thanks Powerman but I think we should be emailing/calling Samsung directly as I have also done as well. I don't want to flood the cnet editor with emails as they have raised the issue with Samsung now. When i asked if they could help she didn't reply saying get people to send her emails, she said she passed my comments on to someone in samsung which had a link to this forum and she said she will let me know what they come back with.

Thanks Powerman but I think we should be emailing/calling Samsung directly as I have also done as well. I don't want to flood the cnet editor with emails as they have raised the issue with Samsung now. When i asked if they could help she didn't reply saying get people to send her emails, she said she passed my comments on to someone in samsung which had a link to this forum and she said she will let me know what they come back with.

FYI - I know someone very high up in Samsung Australia. I told them of this thread about 2 weeks ago, and they are escalating internally.

Lets be realistic and give them some time to respond. The motion plus is not going to be fixed overnight, but lets keep applying the pressure.

what are the issues with the F8? I have firmware 1008, but I haven't found any issues. Am I missing something?

I dont use the inbuilt tuner, I connect it to my Vista Media Centre via HDMI. The PQ is excellent.

I connect to VMC at 1920x1080 @60Hz.

Am I missing something?

Cheers

The only 'current' issues with the F8 is the motion plus feature does not work as intended. Just turn it off on your unit, and your PQ will improve even more.

There used to be some other issues (faulty batches, 'wave' errors, faulty stands), but these have all been rectified.

Overall the F8 is an awesome TV that suffers from one issue (which can be turned off).

Hey all. My first post

Nope I've tried it on both ps3 and xbox 360

FYI - I know someone very high up in Samsung Australia. I told them of this thread about 2 weeks ago, and they are escalating internally.

Lets be realistic and give them some time to respond. The motion plus is not going to be fixed overnight, but lets keep applying the pressure.

Hi lioannou - this is gr8 news that you have posted in here - I guess many of us are just so frustrated that we have encountered not one but up to 3 problems with this F81 TV - I also had a faulty stand besides the wave (fixed) and, of course, the ongoing prob of the crappy or not working Motion Plus.

I do hope what they told you will happen and achieve a positive outcome for us all otherwise this F81 Thread may continue to dominate the DTV forum which I am sure Samsung don't want to see.

Maybe you could ask your "high up" mate what they plan to do with all the current F81 owners who are not members of this forum and don't know about the Motion Plus prob as it seems fairly clear now all F81 sets are afflicted by it - I'd suggest a recall if it cannot be fixed by a firmware upgrade or a techo coming out to do it in our homes - I still cant fathom why Samsung actually released these TVs onto an unwitting Aussie market with such a range of obvious problems - it's just NOT good enough - let's hope they learn from this F81 fiasco. All I ever wanted was an F81 TV that was fault free for the big price we had to pay for these top of the range sets with their much promoted 100HZ Motion Plus technology.

Cheers

powerman1

Hi lioannou - this is gr8 news that you have posted in here - I guess many of us are just so frustrated that we have encountered not one but up to 3 problems with this F81 TV - I also had a faulty stand besides the wave (fixed) and, of course, the ongoing prob of the crappy or not working Motion Plus.

I do hope what they told you will happen and achieve a positive outcome for us all otherwise this F81 Thread may continue to dominate the DTV forum which I am sure Samsung don't want to see.

Maybe you could ask your "high up" mate what they plan to do with all the current F81 owners who are not members of this forum and don't know about the Motion Plus prob as it seems fairly clear now all F81 sets are afflicted by it - I'd suggest a recall if it cannot be fixed by a firmware upgrade or a techo coming out to do it in our homes - I still cant fathom why Samsung actually released these TVs onto an unwitting Aussie market with such a range of obvious problems - it's just NOT good enough - let's hope they learn from this F81 fiasco. All I ever wanted was an F81 TV that was fault free for the big price we had to pay for these top of the range sets with their much promoted 100HZ Motion Plus technology.

Cheers

powerman1

Agreed. After a day of viewing, i see a wave on darker images. A slow mobing thick block of lines from top to bottom. There is a wierdness about the 100Hz its like the picture moves fast then slow and there are artifacts etc. Its watchable but very obvious. Even my old mate from next door noticed it.

Can the 100Hz problem even be fixed with firmware? I thought it was all hard coded like electronics?

I am thinking recall on this already.... I bought it for its 100Mhz feature, WHOOPS. Great tv otherwise.. sure.. BUT... if i wanted a tv without it, i would have bought a tv with out it.

Oh and are DVd's supposed to look a little pixilated on this tv or should I be getting a 1080p upscaling player?

My view...

There have been several people on this forum recently concerned about buying the F81 series due to the size of this forum and the problems that have been mentioned.

Remember this is my view...

1. There was the wave issue early on....fixed with 1008 firmware upgrade.

2. There were apparently some sets with a slight lean.....only some and the current sets don't have any lean.

3. There have been some other issues that would apply to any new purchase of any brand TV such as, dead on arrival, picture problems etc...as I said and in my opinion there were no more than other sets. Just read the other forums you will see unfortunatley there are problems with any new TV's and that is why we have warranties...

4. The Motion Plus doesn't appear to function as it should. In my opinion again contact Samsung and they will arrange for a tech to come out and look at the problem, which will then be logged and a fix will be worked on. I'm sorry but contacting C-Net, Petitions and anyone else before you have actually given the Manufacturer a call and more importantly given them an opportunity to rectify or investigate the fault is a nonsense...Post after post in this forum complaining about Samsung yet I doubt if you have all contacted Samsung and arranged for a tech to come out and investigate the Motion Plus problem. So a review said it doesn't work properly, again you can wait in hope that Samsung do something or you can log a call...

5. There have been some supply issues, well they under estimated the sales. There have been LCD shortages around the world and especially in Australia across several brands because we love new technology....So their forecast was out.

6. The free tv's have taken some time to be issued, again due to the huge sales...

The most important factor is I am extremely happy with my 46F81. Samsung fixed the wave so why would they not fix the motion plus????? Give them time and in the meantime start enjoying your LCD. This forum has become tiresome with the same type of posts which does nothing other than to put people off purchasing a fantastic set. Yes raising the problems help people but this forum has become some sort of huge Samsung bashing forum and where it's going i don't know.

I challenge the next 10 posts to say something positive about your F81, I dare you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is my positive post....The picture quality through HDTV is awesome......................

This has been "my-view".

skouta

Guest litzsurfer

On ya skouta,

Still feel nothing on the market at this price point comes close.

It is an awesome picture when fed a quality signal !

LOVE IT........