Abc - Red Button?

Seems the ABC will be pushing some UK-style red-button interactive stuff, perhaps.

Their promo between programs shows a kid running around chasing a red button marked "interactive" - I'd not heard anything about this previously, and really still haven't - just this promo which offers no detail whatsoever.

... first time I caught this tonight just before the west wing - does anyone have any detail they could offer?

It is only advertising, they push the button (just like Ten promos) and go to a world of their imagination. IIRC the kid plays with a dinosaur or something equally as exciting.

right... but the thing that gets me, is that its a red button, not the ABC logo - like with ten, its the Ten logo.

I'm thinking the red button might not be arbitrary.... anyway, I dunno, wishful thinking I suppose :blink:

• 2 months later...

And just when I thought something had actually happened in this forum, too :blink:

Moderators, perhaps it's time to enforce a seven-day waiting period before allowing posts, during which time the new member must come here and read the forum a few times. I know that is possible with some message board software.

Or perhaps a ban on all "freebie" email addresses - Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo etc?

Both of these tactics are used with success by forums that have been victims of spam.

My own forum remains locked out to new users because of these idiots - I have to completely replace the software with something more secure and convert the entire database, and I haven't had the time to do so - so who misses out? The users. No fair.

Kill all spammers.

And just when I thought something had actually happened in this forum, too :blink:

Moderators, perhaps it's time to enforce a seven-day waiting period before allowing posts, during which time the new member must come here and read the forum a few times. I know that is possible with some message board software.

Or perhaps a ban on all "freebie" email addresses - Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo etc?

Both of these tactics are used with success by forums that have been victims of spam.

My own forum remains locked out to new users because of these idiots - I have to completely replace the software with something more secure and convert the entire database, and I haven't had the time to do so - so who misses out? The users. No fair.

Kill all spammers.

How about some more mods, so spam can be deleted quicker?

That's getting a bit too harsh isn't it?

In my experience, no. Quite a few forums enforce waiting periods and freebie-email-address bans. It's very effective.

The bit about killing all spammers may have been a teensy bit harsh... no, actually, it wasn't. :blink:

The first step that needs to be taken is more moderators.

I'll be happy to volunteer if they call for more.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When will we there be interactive FTA DVB-T stbs?

DO NOT PRESS THE RED BUTTON!

(Even though we know you want to!)

RollerCoaster goes interactive from Monday 6 August! RollerCoaster Interactive TV (RoCo iTV) is an awesome new space for you to share content, interact and have fun. The RoCo iTV service will be on FOXTEL and OPTUS digital television services during RollerCoaster TV every weekday on ABC TV from 4.55pm to 5.55pm and on ABC2 from 6.00pm to 7.00pm.

RoCo iTV is an amazing interactive place to play games, throw virtual tomatoes, experiment with some pretty weird sound effects and do a heap of other great things.

Splatt TV

For anyone who has wanted to throw something at the TV, Splatt TV offers a range of sound effects and visual effects to audiences. Just by pushing a button, virtual projectiles will hurtle across the screen. It might be rotten tomatoes, baked beans or love hearts and kisses.

You can experiment with a range of sound effects while you watch your favourite RollerCoaster TV programs. You can even send in you own sound effects to the RollerCoaster website. The top sound effects each week - voted by the viewers - will be used on the interactive TV service.

Scribble

You can scribble over the top of the TV screen using the number keys on the remote control.

Daily Features

There will be different features each day of the week. The features include a range of interactive TV games and quizzes. Games will be based on the hosted segments and RollerCoaster TV‘s programming; kicking-off with Monster Warriors and Princess Natasha. There will be quizzes including the RollerCoaster Quiz, where questions will be submitted by viewers.

Fetch Game

You know that Fetch words are “words that parents don’t use” now you can play the game! The best words you send in will be incorporated into a special Fetch game that links into the weekly segment on the show.

How does it work?

When you see the prompt on your TV screens, just by pressing the red button on your remote, viewers can download the service to your FOXTEL or OPTUS digital set top box.

Once downloaded, you will be able to interact with sound effects and visual effects, write on their TVs and play a range of different games at any time during the weekday Rollercoaster programming on ABC or ABC2. You can easily exit out of the service at any time with the press of a button or when you move to another channel.

How often does is change?

Features will change daily and new games will be rotated regularly.

What does it cost?

The service is free. There is no cost to use the interactive service or to play the games.

Entry to the competition is also free via the Rollercoaster website. If viewers would prefer to enter via SMS, this is charged at the standard call cost of 20c + GST (Cheaper than a stamp!)

You can contribute!

The ABC is always interested in identifying new ways to connect with and engage their audiences. ABC online has long understood the need to give viewers a sense of ownership. This way our users get to be on TV!

Where can I see the Rollercoaster ITV service?

At this time the Rollercoaster ITV service is only available on the FOXTEL and OPTUS Digital services.

Why can’t I see Rollercoaster iTV using my free-to-air digital set top box?

Currently there are no free-to-air digital set top boxes in the Australian market which support this kind of interactivity.

http://www.abc.net.au/rollercoaster/kidstv/rocoitv.htm

• 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...

OK now I've read this thread I've caught up on the interactivity to be offered on ABC3.

I found this DVBT3688MHP STB from YESS which is MHP compliant, but apart from the following link on their website cannot find it being sold (or for that matter find a price for it) anywhere.

http://yess.com.au/products/dvbt/dvbt3688mhp.html

I've dropped them an email to see if they can tell me any more about it.

The CI interface suggests it's originally a satellite box modified for terrestrial (a la the first Toppy 5000 PVRs). That'll only come in handy if we ever see pay channels on the terrestrial network like Top Up TV in the UK or SKY UHF in NZ.

EDIT: when you enlarge the pic of it, it says DIGITAL SATELLITE RECEIVER across the front of the unit... but the name of the product, and the specs on the page clearly say it's terrestrial.

• 4 weeks later...