Pricejapan.com Experiences

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really want to get the HC5000 through Pricejapan.com but have zero experience with this site.

I know plenty of people have used them. What are they like?

Thanks,

Luke

3 purchases, all good, easy and delivered within the week

I highly recommend them if you find there is a product you want at the right price for you

Just watch out for the exchange rate though.

The AUS$ is up and down against the yen like a yoyo. I have been tracking the price, and in the space of a week the HC5000 went from $32xx to $37xx, and now it is back down to $3270 today.

Suggest you jump on board quick !

I have had no bad reports about PriceJapan from anyone, but as they cannot test the projector, you might want to consider paying up front for the return shipment in case of any issues

Also be aware that they are shutting down for 10 days from 21st March, and anything could happen to the exchange rate during that period.

Hello Guys

I admit I would be one of those that imported some of my gear rather than buy local if the saving was substantial. I have not had any experience with pricejapan. But knowing many japanese business people I know how they do business. So I wouldnt have any problem with dealing with them. I actually phoned them about 4 years ago and spoke a little japanese with them and they were very helpfull.

Now a bit of advice from someone that has imported much from the USA and Japan. Most electonic items of CCD type or LCD, DILA technology is prone to raidiation contamination. I know it sounds far fetched, but IBM commisoned a study many years ago by a Japanese reasearcher. To find out whey sometimes a little white spec appeared in images from digital cameras or PJ units. Its due to the atmosphere and proximaty of air cargo to the ionosphere. Sounds like a tall story eh? Appart from cost, this is one of the reasons why cargo of this nature is sent via sea freight. I am happy to provide this lenghty study to anyone wishing to look at it. Its too long to post on the forum.

It is well known that memory chips (MOS or CMOS structure) experience

occasional errors at random memory cell locations. The errors are transient;

once the cell is refreshed, the error is corrected. This type of temporary

defect is called a “soft error.” One of the primary causes behind this phenomenon

is natural radiation from Alpha particle sources. The major sources

of Alpha particle emission have been found in the semiconductor material

itself, as well as the materials used in packaging the die, and natural radiation

from the ground (i.e. Radon.) In the IBM study, however, it was revealed

that Cosmic Radiation also plays a significant role.

Transportation by airplane

Shipment by air carries a much higher probability for the occurrence of white blemishes.

The following shows a typical example:

For a CCD manufactured in Japan and transported by air to JAI PULNiX’s Sunnyvale, CA camera manufacturing facility,

the flight takes around 13.5 hours. Shipment of completed cameras from the JAI PULNiX plant to our European offices

requires an additional 15 hours of airborne time. The probability of the occurrence of a white blemish resulting due to

total air transportation time is provided in the table below.

I did some calcualtions from pricejapan being mindfull about the popularity of the JVC HD1. Avaialble in white and black. In white inc gst and charges not allowing to ship it back to Japan if there is a problem with it was $8580.00. In black which we have here in OZ $8830.00. You do get a warranty for Japan only and I think the shipping back option is about $400.00 which is not included in the figures. Appart from all that its sent via air and for me that could be a bit of a concern. If the saving was about $2000.00 against the prices here, then it might be worth the risk.

In a nutshell guys be carefull.

Ben :blink:

Thanks for the reply Ben. Not sure if I understood it, but its the thought that counts :blink:

I ordered the projector from Pricejapan. For a saving of over $3,000 means its worth the chance. The only real downside is that if I have an issue with it in the first year, the down time could be a little excessive while it returns for repair.

Cheers,

Luke

"Now a bit of advice from someone that has imported much from the USA and Japan. Most electonic items of CCD type or LCD, DILA technology is prone to raidiation contamination. I know it sounds far fetched, but IBM commisoned a study many years ago by a Japanese reasearcher. To find out whey sometimes a little white spec appeared in images from digital cameras or PJ units. Its due to the atmosphere and proximaty of air cargo to the ionosphere. Sounds like a tall story eh? Appart from cost, this is one of the reasons why cargo of this nature is sent via sea freight. I am happy to provide this lenghty study to anyone wishing to look at it."

This phenomenon was confirmed by JVC at an industry presentation I attended at the Melbourne Docklands (organized by Tasman AV) on 6 March 2007. The sample HD1 at the presentation had a dead pixel that was blamed on radiation contamination because it was air freighted. It is my understanding that the HD1 would be surface shipped to avoid such problems in the future.

georgeb

Can anyone elaborate on PriceJapan.com?. Is the prices listed on the web page include shipping?. And what about tax and duty for any items over $1000au?. I'm interested in the Hc3100 listed at $2000au~, if this includes shipping and it does not incur tax and duty it makes for a very reasonable deal. I've also considered buying the Hc1000 from the U.S from projectorpeople, they quoted me $1350au which includes fast shipping, but again this does not include any tax or duty it may incur. Any advice or info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Another vote here in the positive for pricejapan. I had my projector shipped via EMS and I picked it up from the post office after paying by direct deposit into the Aussie bank account only 5 days earlier.

The service is good and if you can't read between the lines the price stated on the invoice will be a wee bit less than what you paid and you won't be paying any taxes... but don't quote me on that.

The sample HD1 at the presentation had a dead pixel that was blamed on radiation contamination because it was air freighted. It is my understanding that the HD1 would be surface shipped to avoid such problems in the future.

georgeb

Why don't they just wrap them in alfoil like they do to their heads to stop the CIA from reading their thoughts? :blink:

Why don't they just wrap them in alfoil like they do to their heads to stop the CIA from reading their thoughts? :blink:

I think gamma can penetrate further than that :D (speaking from experience those blue rays still get me even with my hat) :P

Jenny confirmed the HD1 are all shipping by sea and the boat arrives 29th

Should see it by mid next week (hope not at Easter)

I think gamma can penetrate further than that :P (speaking from experience those blue rays still get me even with my hat) :P

I'm sure that's the reason they're shipping by boat. Cost wouldn't come into it. I know that every time I fly my digital camera dies, my LCD business projector mysteriously deveops dead pixels and my lap top crashes... Gee I better stop buying from cheaper overseas suppliers or all those cosmic rays will destroy them! :blink:

Sorry. But when I hear a salesman coming out with lines like this, my 1st reflex is to :*cough*Bullshit! :D

Hope they don't spoil it all by air freighting them to their eagerly awaiting new owners around the country.

georgeb

Hope they don't spoil it all by air freighting them to their eagerly awaiting new owners around the country.

georgeb

They will be road freighted for same reason - overnight to Melb and 4 days odd to Perth

$2,838 right now

Actually all the projectors have just dropped, but that is a damn good price for that projector.

Yeah almost jumped out of my chair this morning when i saw that, was about to go ahead and place an order for it but then read a few posts (and pics) at AVS doing a comparison between the HC5000 and the HC3100 and was pretty blown away by the results. I know screenshots usually get taken with a grain of salt but there wa quite a difference with the HC3100 looking better IMO.

Heres the particular post by someone and the links to the pics are also in there.... (site is in korean, but screenshots are about half way down)

Post Start

Look closely at the screenshots taken in the same conditions, with the same digital SLR and compare overall PQ between Mitsubishi HC3100 and HC5000.

HC3100:

http://dvdprime.dreamwiz.com/hardware/Revi...p;master_id=100

HC5000:

http://dvdprime.dreamwiz.com/hardware/Revi...amp;master_id=2

Especially screenshot with woman on the red couch and screenshot with teddy bear.

I am choosing HC3100 hands down.

Better deepth, bette contrast, better black level, better impact. No more details in HC5000, maybe slighty better sharpness.

Post End.

Can anyone who has seen the HC5000 comment on the way the pic looks (possibly not calibrated or something???) going on those shots the HC3100 looks real good compared to the HC5000. In particular the comparison shot in both reviews of the lady playing chess...... the detail in the chess pieces and the glass vase or whatever it is... the whole shot in general really. Also the shot of the teddy bear looks really noticeably better for the HC3100...

Really my me hold off the purchase at the moment... hoping there is something wrong with those screenshots as the HC5000 didn't really look that good.

I wouldnt get too overexcited, but the HC3100 will have better contrast than the hc5000 and therefore better black levels, but what do you expect from a DLP vs LCD comparison.

I would not trust those pictures, as I reckon that HC5000 picture has not been calibrated and most reviews of these units talk about near perfect colour when optimised.

But as an owner of a HC1100 I have to say the picture is vibrant, colourful, bright and very impressive, and when you consider that most reviewers say the HC3100 is a big step up again then sure its brilliant value at $2000 delivered.

On the HC5000 side, it is a proper 1080p projector which makes it a bit more future proof, but if you consider LCD panel degradation and the dust problems then the future may not be so bright. :blink:

I wouldnt get too overexcited, but the HC3100 will have better contrast than the hc5000 and therefore better black levels, but what do you expect from a DLP vs LCD comparison.

I would not trust those pictures, as I reckon that HC5000 picture has not been calibrated and most reviews of these units talk about near perfect colour when optimised.

But as an owner of a HC1100 I have to say the picture is vibrant, colourful, bright and very impressive, and when you consider that most reviewers say the HC3100 is a big step up again then sure its brilliant value at $2000 delivered.

On the HC5000 side, it is a proper 1080p projector which makes it a bit more future proof, but if you consider LCD panel degradation and the dust problems then the future may not be so bright. :blink:

The HC5000 uses the new inorganic panels which have supposedly fixed the panel degration problem.

But yeah at $2000 delivered really makes it look quite a good buy for the HC3100... only thing is with my room placement i would have it ceiling mounted, Thus i would have to use keystone correction...

We'll see about those panels. Time will tell the truth. I've already heard a few stories of issues with them so far.

The zoom and lens shift does make the hc5000 quite a bit more versatile, but I've found with the HC1100 that it suits the standard room setup perfectly, with it ceiling mounted about 4 metres from the screen and the seats about 4 metres, it hits a 92" diagonal screen at mid zoom range perfectly.

The HC5000 uses the new inorganic panels which have supposedly fixed the panel degration problem.

But yeah at $2000 delivered really makes it look quite a good buy for the HC3100... only thing is with my room placement i would have it ceiling mounted, Thus i would have to use keystone correction...

With the hc3100 the actual lens is offset, so you may not have to use keystone correction depening on the height of your roof.