Th42px600a Owners! Anyone Passed The "purple Snake" Test?

as Ralfi says, "they" do stand out when you see 'um. Channel Ten ( Law and Order, House ) and Channel 7 ( "24" ) seem to be the most noticeable on my tele, in both HD and SD, and this is because of the prevalence of dark office scenes or night scenes, but generally the snakes don't rear out much too me with the shows I watch. My wife tells me "no snakes" on Home and Away or Greys Anatomy, and my 2 young girls inform that ABC kids shows are snakefree, so that makes me sleep much better !!!

Could those others who have had a board change give us an update. I'm still sitting on "not sure whether to upgrade or not" fence.

An has anyone seen them in the 70 series sets yet?

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as Ralfi says, "they" do stand out when you see 'um. Channel Ten ( Law and Order, House ) and Channel 7 ( "24" ) seem to be the most noticeable on my tele, in both HD and SD, and this is because of the prevalence of dark office scenes or night scenes, but generally the snakes don't rear out much too me with the shows I watch. My wife tells me "no snakes" on Home and Away or Greys Anatomy, and my 2 young girls inform that ABC kids shows are snakefree, so that makes me sleep much better !!!

Could those others who have had a board change give us an update. I'm still sitting on "not sure whether to upgrade or not" fence.

An has anyone seen them in the 70 series sets yet?

Hi There!

Well i don't know why nowadays i hardly seen even the mild snakes in supernatural or any low resolution movies or dramas.. I haven't changed any settings..Well iam also used to live with it. Mine is not as worst as some people describe the snakes here, i seen only few lines thats all. Does this snakes comes and disappear due to number of running hours of panel?

I mostly noticed this snake in SD telecast, never ever seen in HD telecast.

So still 41.04 yet to be released here in aus?

Thanks and enjoy the Picture with the panel

My panel has them quite badly with most SD broadcasts and SD DVD's wherever there are green colours and also can appear on certain skin tones as well. I was watching the Doctor Who marathon on UKTV over the weekend, and during one of the behind the scenes specials, a writer was talking to camera in a room with a green wall, and snakes were everywhere on it!!

Find a movie with a lot of green in it and watch a scene with something green and lighting factors also and it should appear quite readily.

After typing this I tested this theory with the opening two minutes of The Matrix - and I need an exterminator!!! They are everywhere with the torches and green shadows and backgrounds - it is a perfect movie to show whether you suffer this issue or not.

I have taken some screenshots on a 5MP camera and posted them here.

Do you need a microscope to see them??? No way!!! They are obvious on mine (42") from about 3m. Worst is when you get a background with moving grades of shading (i.e. a shifting light source) - then they "snake" all over the pace - if the background is fixed they just present as a countour that doesn't move. I see exactly the same as what Furns has posted.

I'm still sitting on the fence too re: the upgrade - problem is that we know there are some problems with .03 firmware (hence reluctance to upgrade) but unless Panasonic is made aware (i.e. a lot of people complaining) there probably isn't much chance of .04 making to Australian sets...

Is anyone still on their case? We really need the .03 people rather than the pre - .03 people to be doing this otherwise the standard recommendation will be to upgrade to .03

Do you need a microscope to see them??? No way!!! They are obvious on mine (42") from about 3m. Worst is when you get a background with moving grades of shading (i.e. a shifting light source) - then they "snake" all over the pace - if the background is fixed they just present as a countour that doesn't move. I see exactly the same as what Furns has posted.

I'm still sitting on the fence too re: the upgrade - problem is that we know there are some problems with .03 firmware (hence reluctance to upgrade) but unless Panasonic is made aware (i.e. a lot of people complaining) there probably isn't much chance of .04 making to Australian sets...

Is anyone still on their case? We really need the .03 people rather than the pre - .03 people to be doing this otherwise the standard recommendation will be to upgrade to .03

Hi Senoj!

Is yourone is PV60 or PX600. Well mine still has snakes and used to it with sd telecast... I am also in the same boat as you guys, don't want to gamble the PQ with version .03.. I got another 4months to finish the initial 1yr pana warranty.. I may leave it as is....

Raja

**** this waiting and settling for shitty picture, as soon as the footy season is over, it's on. and none of you guys should take no for an answer, nothing less than perfect picture quality, or a full refund is what is deserved by all effected. we need a list of those involved so we can get the ball rolling

Guys, these are 2 recent forum posts from the U.K. Doesn't fill me with joy!

12-06-2007, 12:00 PM #5414

Red-VIII

Trader Rating: (0) Re: Color problems in my Panasonic PV60/PX60

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 42PX60 and after previously stating how happy i was with the 04 Dboard fix due to it getting rid of my purple snakes, after prolonged viewing since the fix the colour banding issues that the 04 board has introduced has really began to annoy me.

Whilst for 95% of the viewing it is not noticable for the other 5% it really does distract. I am really happy with my PX60 apart from this new issue. Is there any chance of getting this fixed and does panasonic consider this a fault?

My TV is about 5 months old, what are the chances of getting my money back / replacement if this issue cant be fixed?

12-06-2007, 12:55 PM #5415

Gussie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is one of the reasons I'm leaving my PX60 as is - with the original 41.00 firmware - my eyes have got used to it now - even with purple snakes.

All the Panasonic fixes are bodges and seem to introduce other unwanted side effects.

TBH I more bothered by the increased fan noise and buzzing after 12 months ownership of my 42PX60 - I do not expect it to last the remaining four years of it's 5 year warranty.

Gussie

................................................................................

Hi Ghostmo!

THnaks for the post. THis is the reason i am live with the snakes in poor SD telecasts and enjoying the very good pq in HD telecast without snakes. THe snakes doesnt bother me. Well I think the dboard they change with .04 may not be compatible with other EProm versions i n firmware.

Well we can argue with panasonic and they can simpley change the board and fix the purple snake issues, however if that create other problems such like color banding or fuzzy pixels, sometimes the pana tech can't see it and they may have documents saying this is within the limit of pq..I don't know fairtrading can do something with this as they also go with certain guidelines. To achieve this worst goes panasonic may replace with another viera PV60a which more likely to be refurbished, not brand new.. to go through all hassles we have to spend our own time sometimes take leave from work too. After i calculated all this i decided to leave the mild snakes in my panel as is, however if there is certain definate fix for the snake and won't affect any other issues i will definately go for it.

If the problem is like i see dead pixel or permanent color change stay for every or panel doesn't turn on, i will definately push them to change the panel....

Well i deciced i won't recommend or won't buy another panasonic plasma again.

Thanks.

Guys, these are 2 recent forum posts from the U.K. Doesn't fill me with joy!

12-06-2007, 12:00 PM #5414

Red-VIII

I have a 42PX60 and after previously stating how happy i was with the 04 Dboard fix due to it getting rid of my purple snakes, after prolonged viewing since the fix the colour banding issues that the 04 board has introduced has really began to annoy me.

Whilst for 95% of the viewing it is not noticable for the other 5% it really does distract. I am really happy with my PX60 apart from this new issue. Is there any chance of getting this fixed and does panasonic consider this a fault?

My TV is about 5 months old, what are the chances of getting my money back / replacement if this issue cant be fixed?

12-06-2007, 12:55 PM #5415

Gussie

This is one of the reasons I'm leaving my PX60 as is - with the original 41.00 firmware - my eyes have got used to it now - even with purple snakes.

All the Panasonic fixes are bodges and seem to introduce other unwanted side effects.

TBH I more bothered by the increased fan noise and buzzing after 12 months ownership of my 42PX60 - I do not expect it to last the remaining four years of it's 5 year warranty.

Gussie

................................................................................

**** this waiting and settling for shitty picture, as soon as the footy season is over, it's on. and none of you guys should take no for an answer, nothing less than perfect picture quality, or a full refund is what is deserved by all effected. we need a list of those involved so we can get the ball rolling

Judging by the comments in the "video artifacts" section of this review, it looks like Panasonic still haven't sorted this problem out on the new 70 series panels.

If that's so, what hope of ever getting a satisfactory fix for our superceded 60/600 series sets?

Cheers,

BAC

Hi Bac!

Thanks for this post. seems like panasonic still searching for the fix of purple snakes and clearly visible in the picture under video artifacts in the article. Well i think we have to live with the purple snakes with our panels...

Thnaks.

Judging by the comments in the "video artifacts" section of this review, it looks like Panasonic still haven't sorted this problem out on the new 70 series panels.

If that's so, what hope of ever getting a satisfactory fix for our superceded 60/600 series sets?

Cheers,

BAC

I am at a loss as to what to do next. I am still in the midst of arguing with Pana as to the EXISTENCE of the issue (we are yet to get to the whole "how to fix it" yet) as the techs swear they didnt spot any issue when it was at the service centre.

We are currently awaiting Catherine to get back from annual leave tomorrow so we can continue the to'ing and fro'ing over what to do.

So there is no point pushing for .03/.04 upgrade due to creation of other issues and the snakes may not even disappear.

There is no point pushing for an upgrade to the 700 series as the issue appears to affect them as well.

Maybe my only course of action is to upgrade to 50px600a. I am right in remembering that the 50inch versions do not have the snake/fizzing pixel/banding issues??

i have the 50" 600a and VERY sorry to say it's all there in all it's damn obvious glory. i was just watching the golf on 10 this morning and all the golf greens have purple on all the contours. plus peoples skin is paint by numbers!

Thats aweful to hear simon. When I moved up from my 42pv60A to the 50" the snakes drop off about 90% in comparison. I watched some of the golf this morning via the LG PVR and it looked brilliant. I still see snakes from time to time and they are annoying, but on the 42" they were intolerable!

Hi ANdy!

Thanks. So the snakes are popular only in Pana plasmas? How about PIoneer or Samsung or LG owners. DO they get snakes or those owners don't noticed carefully like us in pana panels..

But i noticed panasonic use 16bit processing chip for pictures, compare with 10bit processing for pioneer and fujitsu. In this way panasonic is better atleast for fast moving scenes, such as rugby games.

Thanks

Thats aweful to hear simon. When I moved up from my 42pv60A to the 50" the snakes drop off about 90% in comparison. I watched some of the golf this morning via the LG PVR and it looked brilliant. I still see snakes from time to time and they are annoying, but on the 42" they were intolerable!

Ok update - got in contact with Catherine today and she now advises us that she has exhausted all resources within the service department. In a nutshell, they have no answer to our issue, and they have filed it under "This is within normal tech specs for this panel".

Service centre acknowledges they saw the issue, and when the pana quality control tech came out to inspect it, he has stated that it is normal opertaion - and that appears to be the only answer anyone at Pana will spew forth now. The service centre cant challenge it, and apparently neither can we.

They will not challenge the assessment, they are sticking to their story and we are now screwed over on TWO panasonic products (as I stated before we upgraded to plasma from crt when that tv turned out to be faulty also). And to top it off we were told "not to believe everything you read on the internet."

I am now attempting to swap the panel thru JB (who we originally purchased our products through) for a credit and move to another brand - I am NEVER PURCHASING A PANASONIC PRODUCT EVER AGAIN.

I advise that you guys who are having the issue log it with pana because the only way you will get any resolution will be "en masse". They will have to acknowledge the issue if multiple customers are reporting the same problem. I would also suggest calling and speaking to Catherine specifically so that the message gets through to the same person.

I now start my search all over again for a new tv for the third time in eighteen months. Any recommendations on a HD 42"/50" for around $2300-$2500 with great PQ similar to Pana PX600a without the purple snakes/fizzing pixels/crap customer service???? :)

Hi Furns!

Thanks for the update and sad to hear it... I decided to live with my pana, as i see the snakes only like 5% of the time watching sd telecast such like supernatural, lost etc etc.

Well if JB HI FI can replace the panel or upgrade to something else, i would strongly suggest to go for Pioneer 50inch panel as now the cheap i can see is around $3800 with 5yr warranty and very good service. I read in this forum that even a small problem with the panle, the pioneer tech bring brand new panle in their van in case to replace. Even at Myer one salesperson said the got deliver the panel with the side edge crack or mark, pioneer immediately swap for a brand new panel next day.

I never heard purple snakes issues with pioneer or other brands, however initially i was pioneer fan and ended up purchasing panasonic last OCT due to my tight budget...

If i am buying my 2nd panel or if my currect panel screw up within next 4yr(I got extended 5yr warranty from third party, if a big problem, they will ask the store to give vouchure)i will definately go for pioneer.

According to panasonic the purple snake is not a defect or fault?

Please update us when you have talk with JB hifi and how the issue goes..

Thanks.

Ok update - got in contact with Catherine today and she now advises us that she has exhausted all resources within the service department. In a nutshell, they have no answer to our issue, and they have filed it under "This is within normal tech specs for this panel".

Service centre acknowledges they saw the issue, and when the pana quality control tech came out to inspect it, he has stated that it is normal opertaion - and that appears to be the only answer anyone at Pana will spew forth now. The service centre cant challenge it, and apparently neither can we.

They will not challenge the assessment, they are sticking to their story and we are now screwed over on TWO panasonic products (as I stated before we upgraded to plasma from crt when that tv turned out to be faulty also). And to top it off we were told "not to believe everything you read on the internet."

I am now attempting to swap the panel thru JB (who we originally purchased our products through) for a credit and move to another brand - I am NEVER PURCHASING A PANASONIC PRODUCT EVER AGAIN.

I advise that you guys who are having the issue log it with pana because the only way you will get any resolution will be "en masse". They will have to acknowledge the issue if multiple customers are reporting the same problem. I would also suggest calling and speaking to Catherine specifically so that the message gets through to the same person.

I now start my search all over again for a new tv for the third time in eighteen months. Any recommendations on a HD 42"/50" for around $2300-$2500 with great PQ similar to Pana PX600a without the purple snakes/fizzing pixels/crap customer service???? :)

This is just crazy. So Panasonic in US and UK concede its a problem but Pana Aust just wash their hand of it :angry: I will never recommend panasonic to anyone again (and lots of people ask for my recommendations too! - pana if you are reading).

Hi Andy!

YOu are rite, i wont recommend panasonic to anyone too, however for people like plasma with good pq in budget, is there any other option than panasonic....

Thanks.

This is just crazy. So Panasonic in US and UK concede its a problem but Pana Aust just wash their hand of it :angry: I will never recommend panasonic to anyone again (and lots of people ask for my recommendations too! - pana if you are reading).

YOu are rite, i wont recommend panasonic to anyone too, however for people like plasma with good pq in budget, is there any other option than panasonic...

I'd tell them to save up and buy a pio. I hav'nt compared panels for quite awhile so I'm not sure what 'budget' panel I'd recommend. Anyone?.... Samsung perhaps?

Yes - it is totally crazy but they simply wont listen to any further points on the subject - my gf has been on the phone to these guys for the last few months and the response today was "we have exhausted all avenues with our service dept, its normal operational tech specs".

Quite ridiculous. Now they have lost me as a future customer and I will be bad-mouthing them on this forum and to whoever I talk to to never bother with Pana ever again.

Now - I dont know if I can afford the Pio at $3800 although I am prob looking at 42" rather than 50" - is the PQ better or equal to the Pana (for the money I would hope so..) and wasnt I reading back that the Panas run a 16bit pro as opposed to Pio running a 10bit? I do watch quite a lot of sport/foxtel/sd dvds/hd fta (in that order) and need a decent pq panel. $2500 would be ideal however I suppose $3k may be possible.

Yes - it is totally crazy but they simply wont listen to any further points on the subject - my gf has been on the phone to these guys for the last few months and the response today was "we have exhausted all avenues with our service dept, its normal operational tech specs".

Quite ridiculous. Now they have lost me as a future customer and I will be bad-mouthing them on this forum and to whoever I talk to to never bother with Pana ever again.

Now - I dont know if I can afford the Pio at $3800 although I am prob looking at 42" rather than 50" - is the PQ better or equal to the Pana (for the money I would hope so..) and wasnt I reading back that the Panas run a 16bit pro as opposed to Pio running a 10bit? I do watch quite a lot of sport/foxtel/sd dvds/hd fta (in that order) and need a decent pq panel. $2500 would be ideal however I suppose $3k may be possible.

The new Samsung C91 50" can be had for around $2,600 and is getting good feedback on these forums.

Cheers,

BAC

I am assuming this is for Pio 427XDA, JB gave over the phone price $3250 so I assume I can get them lower on negotiation. Anyone have any rough ideas on a 42MXE20? Is there a major difference I am going to notice apart from the multi-panel options? (which will be quite useful if I ever open a sports bar somewhere...) :D

I am assuming this is for Pio 427XDA, JB gave over the phone price $3250 so I assume I can get them lower on negotiation. Anyone have any rough ideas on a 42MXE20? Is there a major difference I am going to notice apart from the multi-panel options? (which will be quite useful if I ever open a sports bar somewhere...) :D

You should be asking in (this) thread - Group buy that seems to also involve the 42MXE20

Gloss (427) v Matt Panel (MXE20) surround

J.