Help With Sd Stb/pvr For The Other Half?

Guys, our VCR is playing up and my other half has requested replacement for Christmas. I am going too buy her a SD PVR dual tuner model. The TV set that it will operate with is a Metz widescreen whch I have had upgraded with a SD tuner fitted internally. The metz does not have component, only RGB, S-video & composite. Of course I want to use RGB & my question is, can anyone steer me in the right direction to a set that may suit my requirements? Thanks in advance :blink:

Steve M.

Guys, our VCR is playing up and my other half has requested replacement for Christmas. I am going too buy her a SD PVR dual tuner model. The TV set that it will operate with is a Metz widescreen whch I have had upgraded with a SD tuner fitted internally. The metz does not have component, only RGB, S-video & composite. Of course I want to use RGB & my question is, can anyone steer me in the right direction to a set that may suit my requirements? Thanks in advance :blink:

Steve M.

Topfield 5000 with PBK is unbeatable, I have had one for over 2 years.

Topfield 5000

PBK

Many budget dual tuners have a SCART RGB output, so you shouldn't have any worries. Check the specs carefully. Often it's component &/or s-video's that's missing.

Do you want to record 2 channels at the same time (true twin tuner= 2.0), or, is it OK to just record 1 and watch another (twin tuner=1.5 or 1.7).

Some 2.0's to consider are :

DGTEC 200GB twin tuner- see ebay selling around $360

Medistar 920 (Harvey Norman)

I recently bought a YESS DBT 2688 off ebay- not a problem-free PVR!

Thanks for the prompt reply gentlemen. My wife loves these CSI, Law & Order type shows. She often records 1 on the VCR in our "family room" and watches one in the bedroom. I'm pretty sure at times she would record 2 simultaneously if she had the facilities.

Thanks for the prompt reply gentlemen. My wife loves these CSI, Law & Order type shows. She often records 1 on the VCR in our "family room" and watches one in the bedroom. I'm pretty sure at times she would record 2 simultaneously if she had the facilities.

Recording 2 simultaneously also covers shows that overlap a bit on different channels. So it happens a lot more than you'd imagine. Many PVR users cease to watch live TV as they simply delay starting to watch for 15 minutes and then just skip through the ads at a press of the button.

As mentioned the Topfield is at the top of the pack (and ludite SOs love them) as they are very easy to use and set timers for etc. There is a pinned FAQ on the Toppy in the branch.

Also read here for a FAQ on buying a PVR.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Thanks Peter, I had a read and found it very helpful. Thanks again :P I will now see what is available locally and take it from there. Our office manager here as a Humax Smart and is extremely happy with it, me I like the Toppy.

PS, What is/are ludite SO's :blink:

Some 2.0's to consider are :

DGTEC 200GB twin tuner- see ebay selling around $360

Medistar 920 (Harvey Norman)

I recently bought a YESS DBT 2688 off ebay- not a problem-free PVR!

Thanks Wrangler, with your YESSDBT 2688 I'm not sure what you mean?? are you saying that they have issue's :D

Thanks Wrangler, with your YESSDBT 2688 I'm not sure what you mean?? are you saying that they have issue's :blink:

This is my first PVR. Have had a HDD/ DVD recorder for a few years now. The PVR's not simple to use, I guess, and last night I noticed a problem with "jumpy picture" while watching a recording (see http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=44496). Could be reception, rather than PVR, however. My expectations are lower for a $335 PVR. The 8 year-old heard exclaim in frustration, "I hate this new box", even tho he'd already worked out how to use it. Would buy the Toppy if money no object.

Can I suggest that 2.0 tuner is best- I thought I'd only use it occasionally, but use it a lot to record 2 different channels.

Also, the middle-of range Topfield has only a 80GB drive. Too small. I'm not sure if it's peculiar to my PVR, but 120GB HDD has only 100GB USABLE recording space. If I knew, would have gone for a larger HDD.

Also, the middle-of range Topfield has only a 80GB drive. Too small. I'm not sure if it's peculiar to my PVR, but 120GB HDD has only 100GB USABLE recording space. If I knew, would have gone for a larger HDD.

My Toppy came with a 80Gb HDD, I replaced it with a 320Gb for $150, which is a lot cheaper that the retail price for a PVR with 250Gb HDD, all you need is a screwdriver.

Chris :blink:

Looks as if I will go with the Topfield TF5000PVRT-black version, best price locally seems to be $700. I also see that there is the Masterpiece version. Are there any major improvements with this model?? I see that it has a 160 gig H/D and a fluoro display. The display doesn't matter and the H/D will be replaced (if need be) after the warranty expires. If that is the extent of the "upgrade" it would seem to be a waste of money. Your thoughts gentlemen :blink:

I've long since felt the 5000 is the one to buy. The MP looks better for many, but its a stiff premium to pay for something that sits in the cabinet. TAPs (if you install them) are slightly more reliable on the original 5000. Drive size was the only major difference and you've negated that. You might also consider grabbing an ICEBox ($200 with 12 months EPG data)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

PS Toppy models are outlined in the AQA

Thanks for the reply Peter. On your advise and others on this forum I will go with the plain Jane 5000. I will upgrade the HD if and when the wife starts having storage issues. She is in the habbit of recording then wiping once it has been watched. Once again thanks :blink:

My SO is generally not too adept at anything technological; she wants to know what button to press to get the basics done, and that is that.

With the Toppy however, she took to it like a duck to water; so much so that I have to fight her to get the remote back to familiiarise myself with how to operate it.

The menu is very easy to use, and it is very intuitive. Ensure you get the ProgressBarKey TAP as well (just makes it a little easier and better to use).