Aiko 81cm Lcd Tv

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont have a VGA cable to test

[/aquote]

LCD TV's tend to work reliably via the VGA (analogue) connection, but can have problems with the HDMI input if connected to your PC.

You can pick up a VGA cable pretty cheaply from any computer store. It's worth a try before you go to the trouble of packing it up and returning the set.

LCD TV's tend to work reliably via the VGA (analogue) connection, but can have problems with the HDMI input if connected to your PC.

You can pick up a VGA cable pretty cheaply from any computer store. It's worth a try before you go to the trouble of packing it up and returning the set.

Hopefully Ill pick up a HD STB with DVI out at a reasonable price tomorrow or in the comming days with the post-Christmas sales. Will try a VGA cable as soon as I can get my hands on one. Apart from the HDMI not working from the PC I'm vey happy with it.

Big W has 20% off all LCD Tv's in their post X-mas sale, will probably try and pick one up then, should be a nice 32" HD set for a very cheap price!

Oh and a merry Christmas to everyone on the boards.

I guess that means it will be available for $798! Too good to pass up at that price. :D

I wanted a 94cm LCD screen, but they cost a fair bit more and nobody is discounting this size very much.

An 80cm screen in the living room will suffice for 12-18 months and then start the hunt again for something bigger/better.

The Aiko can then go in the bedroom. :blink:

Hopefully Ill pick up a HD STB with DVI out at a reasonable price tomorrow or in the comming days with the post-Christmas sales. Will try a VGA cable as soon as I can get my hands on one. Apart from the HDMI not working from the PC I'm vey happy with it.

The screen and the PC aren't even detecting each other now so it looks like the PC and LCD TV aren't agreeing.

The screen and the PC aren't even detecting each other now so it looks like the PC and LCD TV aren't agreeing.

Do you have any other way of running a signal cable direct into your LCD tv to test the screen?

Perhaps you have a standalone DVD player that you can hook up via a composite or component cable? You don't need the audio side, just video.

Even plugging your TV antenna direct into the back of the set, using it's built-in analogue tuner will do. The manual should tell you how to auto tune the set

The picture quality isn't going to look the best, but at least you can find out if the fault is with your computer not being able to send a signal, via HDMI, or the Aiko screen itself.

What did you have the pc connected to originally?

and how? DVI? Dsub?

Does the pc work on the old monitor still?

the Dvi-hdmi, is it Dvi-D or Dvi-I?

Does anyone know how the Aiko compares to the Soniq 32" LCD (both mentioned in this thread)?

I noticed WoW sight and sound have an LCD on there after-christmas sales brochure (can be viewed online) for a 32" LCD TV for $899, no branding is visible though. It does look like the Soniq screen though, if anyone can confirm that it'd be great.

Seeing the latest Big W catalogue with 20% of all LCD's, its tempting to go grab an Aiko since i know Chermside has a few instock, but if the Soniq will be better quality and build then id be willing to spend the extra to get that.

Hopefully i can spare some time to drop down to my local WoW and Big W to compare the two, although without them side-by-side i guess that will be difficult.

Thanks.

Do you have any other way of running a signal cable direct into your LCD tv to test the screen?

Perhaps you have a standalone DVD player that you can hook up via a composite or component cable? You don't need the audio side, just video.

Even plugging your TV antenna direct into the back of the set, using it's built-in analogue tuner will do. The manual should tell you how to auto tune the set

The picture quality isn't going to look the best, but at least you can find out if the fault is with your computer not being able to send a signal, via HDMI, or the Aiko screen itself.

Ive got a SD STB and DVD player using component into the TV via a component switch and they work fine. My VCR is working fine via composite and analog TV works fine.

What did you have the pc connected to originally?

and how? DVI? Dsub?

Does the pc work on the old monitor still?

the Dvi-hdmi, is it Dvi-D or Dvi-I?

PC still works on the old monitor (hey I'm using it now to type) connected via VGA. I was using a DVI-D to HDMI cable from my PC to TV using a Nvidia Geforce 6200.

Ive got a SD STB and DVD player using component into the TV via a component switch and they work fine. My VCR is working fine via composite and analog TV works fine.

PC still works on the old monitor (hey I'm using it now to type) connected via VGA. I was using a DVI-D to HDMI cable from my PC to TV using a Nvidia Geforce 6200.

Can you detach the VGA cable from your computer monitor and run it between the Aiko and your PC? Or is it one of those monitors where the VGA cable is permanently attached to the monitor.

If you can, then you will know whether your video card can pass an ok analogue signal to the Aiko. The issue then becomes the digital interface.

When did you last update the video drivers for your 6200 video card?

Can you detach the VGA cable from your computer monitor and run it between the Aiko and your PC? Or is it one of those monitors where the VGA cable is permanently attached to the monitor.

If you can, then you will know whether your video card can pass an ok analogue signal to the Aiko. The issue then becomes the digital interface.

Or the settings (resolution/frequency) the dvi is set too.

as said before, mine does 1920*1800 on dvi to hdmi

It is restricted to card capabilities and drivers as to what can be set.

The VGA cable is pernamantly attatched to the monitor and I have the latest Nvidia drivers.

The VGA cable is pernamantly attatched to the monitor and I have the latest Nvidia drivers.

ok

assuming you have the pc on with your vga monitor working :blink:

Is your card/drivers able to do dual monitors?

I am using a ati 9600xt with the latest drivers and when running dual,

vga primary, shutdown, connect tv via hdmi, switch tv on, on tv select hdmi, boot pc system and in the control panel for the video you should be able to see the other monitors connected.

if you can, put it on lowest resolution ie 680*480

then go up from there

ps was the tv showing no input?

Was thinking of getting one of these myself, but ended up getting the samsung LA32S71BX yesterday instead for only $1250.

Better contrast ratio (3000:1) than the aiko.

That's a good price! I kind of get the feeling that Samsung is using this monitor as a loss leader to chase market share and put pressure on the other premium brand name manufacturers.

I have seen this monitor and it looks good. It certainly has a better (dynamic) contrast rating than the Aiko. I don't know how accurate these measurements are though and if they can be independently verified.

If I paid $1250 for a monitor, I would feel obliged to keep it for a couple of years at least. I could comfortably think about moving the Aiko into the bedroom or selling it in a year or so. $798 is damn cheap.

LCD technology is still improving rapidly and this will be only the first of several LCD monitors I am bound to purchase over the next decade.

Once LED backlighting becomes available and affordable, I will move up to the premium LCD brands.

That's a good price! I kind of get the feeling that Samsung is using this monitor as a loss leader to chase market share and put pressure on the other premium brand name manufacturers.

I have seen this monitor and it looks good. It certainly has a better (dynamic) contrast rating than the Aiko. I don't know how accurate these measurements are though and if they can be independently verified.

If I paid $1250 for a monitor, I would feel obliged to keep it for a couple of years at least. I could comfortably think about moving the Aiko into the bedroom or selling it in a year or so. $798 is damn cheap.

LCD technology is still improving rapidly and this will be only the first of several LCD monitors I am bound to purchase over the next decade.

Once LED backlighting becomes available and affordable, I will move up to the premium LCD brands.

So what would be better value for money? the samsung at $1250 or the aiko at $798? Is the samsung much better picture quality than the aiko?

ok

assuming you have the pc on with your vga monitor working :blink:

Is your card/drivers able to do dual monitors?

I am using a ati 9600xt with the latest drivers and when running dual,

vga primary, shutdown, connect tv via hdmi, switch tv on, on tv select hdmi, boot pc system and in the control panel for the video you should be able to see the other monitors connected.

if you can, put it on lowest resolution ie 680*480

then go up from there

ps was the tv showing no input?

Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers did the trick. Works fine now.

So what would be better value for money? the samsung at $1250 or the aiko at $798? Is the samsung much better picture quality than the aiko?

That really is something you have to make your own mind up about. If I was flush with cash and happy with the 81cm screen size, then I would get the Samsung.

It has better colour saturation and black levels than the Aiko, but not a hell of a lot better. The quality gap between TV's like the Aiko and premium brands like Samsung has narrowed somewhat over the past twelve months. If you read some of the other threads about Samsung TV's, they aren't exactly without fault themselves. That particular Samsung set is certainly the best value premium brand TV at present.

I remember reading on the digitimes website recently that 80cm LCD TV's are the most popular screen size, accounting for 40% of the global LCD TV market. That's tens of millions of TV's every year. There are a lot of brand names competing fiercely in this market segment. That is why the pricing is so keen.

Money is tight for me this year. There are other things I have to buy and my funds are limited. I sold off my 76cm widescreen CRT some months back as its resale value was plummeting.

I have been biding my time, waiting for the christmas sales and the fall and fall of LCD screen prices. :D

I currently watch TV and DVD's on a second hand 17" HP CRT monitor which I bought for $30 at a computer swap meet. It is hooked up to my HTPC in my living room . Any LCD panel is going to be a huge improvement for me! :blink:

The Aiko is the best non premium screen I have found in Melbourne. Like many others I think it represents great value for money. The other cheap LCD panels I have seen, I found plenty to complain about! They are mostly old 6 bit panels with poor brightness levels, average contrast, lousy colour accuracy and poor electronic circuitry.

The Aiko is well made with a current generation 8 bit LCD panel, good electronic circuitry and digital image processing. In terms of quality it sits roughly half way between so so, no name TV's and the very good (10 bit) TV's from companies like Samsung.

You decide!

Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers did the trick. Works fine now.

Good to see it's working :D

Now to see what res'n you can get it too :blink:

Glider

Have to agree, buy what you can afford.

Lcd's are getting cheaper, but so is some of the quality.

stores will have to dispose of the cheap stuff sooner or later.....

the aiko if for 798.00 is a very good price, can't seeing it go too much lower.

I paid 998.00, still happy with the price/quality and it is the main tv.

HD capable with HDMI, will do for a few years yet.

Question is

America's congress has stated that all new lcd/plasma tv's be fitted with HD tuners.

not SD or analogue tuners like we get here........

this was at the begining of the this year.

let's see what rubbish we'll get dumped with?

Guest Sharlynn
How have you set the screen up? Have you just plugged it into the wall socket and are using an analogue TV antenna?

LCD TV's and plasma's only shine when fed a digital signal!

Are you using a digital set top box? How have you hooked it up? Composite (single yellow plug)? S video (5 pin din socket)? Component (red, green, blue plugs)? Computer VGA DSub connector? HDMI?

Have you adjusted the brightness and contrast controls to improve the picture (default settings are too high).

You need to give us more information if you want us to help you!

Please post a reply with an accurate description of your set-up. :blink:

Guest Sharlynn

HI all, thanks for the replys,... especially over Christmas.

The TV was just plugged in using an analogue (i think) TV antenna and no set top box.

All settings are preety standard. Picture seems a bit pixerlated (maby I sit too close.. about 2 m)

Haven't worked out what connection does what yet. Instructions are not much help but I do get a chuckle when I try to understand the poor translation.

DVD is connected via 3 cables (RCA??) Picture seems about a s good as TV!

Finally worked what PIP means by asking around but I can't seem to get it to work

Got teletext to work, that was a bonus. Bought TV from Big W Atherton for $899 cheers Ed

The TV was just plugged in using an analogue (i think) TV antenna and no set top box.

All settings are preety standard. Picture seems a bit pixerlated (maby I sit too close.. about 2 m)

Haven't worked out what connection does what yet. Instructions are not much help but I do get a chuckle when I try to understand the poor translation.

Finally worked what PIP means by asking around but I can't seem to get it to work

Got teletext to work, that was a bonus. Bought TV from Big W Atherton for $899 cheers Ed

Just about everyone has been saying the analog tuner is crappy - so its no surprise the picture quality looks pixelated /blurry. If you size it to 4:3 then it becomes less noticable.

If you are connecting your dvd via red/white/yellow RCA cable, then it is the lowest quality connection you can use! If your DVD support component or SCART, use them/buy cables - its worth it.

Get yourself a HD set top unit, combined with SCART you should notice a clear difference in picture quality - it should be lifelike. I find that my SD set top unit isn't that good afterall - pixelation and overly bright pictures.

On another note, I used the monitor to look at Google Earth yesterday - Brilliant pictures!

HI all, thanks for the replys,... especially over Christmas.

You really need to buy your self a digital set top box! After all, you have just dropped $899 on a digital screen. Just go and buy a cheap "Hot Chips" HD box. They only cost a few hundred. It is sale time after all.

Also, get yourself some component interconnects for your DVD player. Composite (yellow RCA plug) is absolutely crap on a screen of this quality. You can pick up some cheap "Crest" component cables (Red, Green, Blue RCA plugs) from your local Safeway supermarket when you do your food shopping.