Panasonic Tx-32lxd600a

Thanks for that comprehensive reply. It hasn't swayed me one way or the other yet, but at least I have bit more info to mull over.

Which model is it? Because my own trusty Panasonic CRT - the original TV that was marketed as "The One", the TC-68A61 - has served me well for close to 16 years now. It's losing its ability to control overscan (!!!!) but in terms of actual picture quality it's remarkable for a CRT of its age. However, it does need replacing. But I'll salute it as it leaves, an example of superb consumer electronics engineering that's built to last. And made, no less, in Sydney :D

Lots of inputs, too. S-Video on every single one (component didn't exist at the time). Sony should learn something from that; having composite-only inputs in bulk on a $3000 HD TV is a complete joke.

My old Panasonic CRT is TC-59R62. It has served me well and only has composite input from an SD Topfield PVR. I very much enjoyed watching the cricket on it. It might be a bit older then 10 years, might even be around the same age as yours but certainly no older. I agree, it is technology that was built to last, it has never given me one single problem in all those years.

But I know I'm going to get blown away when I bring one of these LCDs home. I need LCD by the way as the viewing room is very bright during the day.

Actually, I think you'll find problems like these are few. The Sony X series with its "clouds" and the Thai-made Samsung R series with its nasty backlight bleed are obviously bulk manufacturing faults, and they're not common occurrences. As always, read these forums and watch what others say about anything you're thinking of buying. But rest assured, if your 10-year-old CRT looks anything like my 16-year-old one, you'll be perfectly happy with it until you see a good quality 16"9 LCD in its place. Then you'll wonder how you ever put up with that old thing for so long :blink:

That's somewhat reassuring to know. Just have to hope I don't get one of the bodgy ones. I've looked at a few of the R series 32" Samsungs and they were all made in Thailand. That may not be the problem, but I'm not going near those.

This is getting a bit OT I know but assuming there are no initial backlight problems, is it likely to stay that way, or can this develop over time. I would like to think that whatever I buy, I can get a solid 10 years out of it, and the choice to replace it will be mine, not because it dies after a few years.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else experience this with their set?

In Dynamic mode when watching DVD's or playing the Xbox 360 particually in dark scenes when white is shown, be that in the form of Subtitles for a dvd, or the HUD in Gears Of War for the 360 the whole screen brightens up, then when the white is gone it darkens again.

Only happens in Dynamic mode. Normal, Cinema, and Auto do not have this problem.

I was originally interested in the Samsung, but there were a few little things that were putting me off (the poor audio, the glossy black and the possible reliability problems). The Panasonic seems like it may solve all of the issues that I had with the Samsung. Comparing the picture in the shops between the Samsung and Panasonic, I do prefer the picture of the Panasonic. I'd be interested to get your thoughts on it once you get it, maybe in the previous Panasonic thread.

Above quote is from the New R Series Samsung LCD TV range, They just keep on coming! thread.

I've been considering the Samsung LA32R71BDX, the Sony KDL32V2000 and the the Panasonic TX-32LXD600A for a while now. I've bitten the bullet and ordered the Pany, it will be delevered later this week. This was after reading all the reviews I could find, all the relevent threads on this forum and on the UK AVforums, and having a pretty close look at all 3 units in every retail store in my area. I chose the Pany because I think it is more of an all round TV, good sound, better connectivity and it's performance in handling SD content. This is all based on fairly limited information as you never really know 'till you've owned the unit for a few weeks. I'd rate the Samsung as my 2nd choice, certainly in tems of value for money. All the stores have different setups so it's difficult to compare PQ sometimes but in every store where I found all 3 TVs I thought the Pany came out on top for PQ, and generally the Samsung came second. I like the style of the Sony and it would be nice to just own one but I couldn't justify the price tag compared with the features on the Pany. Sales people seem much less willing to negotiate on the Sonys as well, I guess that's got something to do with the name.

Anyway, I hope to give some more thoughts on the unit once I've owned it for a while.

Above quote is from the New R Series Samsung LCD TV range, They just keep on coming! thread.

I've been considering the Samsung LA32R71BDX, the Sony KDL32V2000 and the the Panasonic TX-32LXD600A for a while now. I've bitten the bullet and ordered the Pany, it will be delevered later this week. [...] Sales people seem much less willing to negotiate on the Sonys as well, I guess that's got something to do with the name.

what sort of prices were you getting on the samsung and the panasonic? i'm going through that exact debate at the moment - thinking of holding off until later january and seeing what happens. i'm tempted to get the samsung at the moment for 2 component inputs - and for the extra 300ish, the pq isn't that much better (from what i've seen, which admittedly isn't a huge amount). i'd go the panasonic if it had just one more component input!

I need to make a slight modification to my cabinet to accommodate the 600a and I'd like to get this done before the TV arrives later this week. To cut a long story short, would appreciate someone who owns the TV to let me know the width and depth of the stand at its base, not the TV itself, just the stand.

Thanks

Dave

To cut a long story short, would appreciate someone who owns the TV to let me know the width and depth of the stand at its base, not the TV itself, just the stand.

The stand measures 50.5 x 30 cm. Good choice on the TV :blink:

The stand measures 50.5 x 30 cm. Good choice on the TV :blink:

Yeah, thanks. Everyone likes to justify their decsions but I'm pretty happy with the one I made. I spent a lot of time (and I mean a lot) looking at the 3 models I was considering. I could not go past the Panasonic in the end. It surprises me that this TV does not seem popular here, I mean in terms of the exposure it gets in this forum. Hopefully it's a case of people who have bought it are just enjoying watching it rather then talking about problems with it.

I have a problem when viewing material recorded from the TV onto the SD card. During playback, the image is in a very small box in the middle of the screen. Is there any way to enlarge the playback picture so that it fills the entire screen?

In the manual it mentions something about Normal size and 2X size, however I cannot find this setting to adjust it. When I press the Menu button during playback there appears to be an option for setting picture attributes, but it is greyed out and unselectable.

This is the only issue I have with this Panny. The picture quality is incredible.

Hopefully it's a case of people who have bought it are just enjoying watching it rather then talking about problems with it.

Same here. Bought the Tx32lxd600a last month. Went for LCD over Plasma because the room has large windows on three sides and I was concerned about reflections from a glass screen. Absolutely no problems with reflections. Picture quality is fantastic. Sound quality is excellent. Very happy with my purchase.

I want to get a SD card but don't have a compatible digital camera. Can a SD card be used to record a TV program straight out of the box, or does it need to be formatted first? Also, if I get a SD card with a USB plug attached, can I copy say a TV program direct to my computer, and could I copy photos from my computer to the card so as to display them on the TV?

I have a problem when viewing material recorded from the TV onto the SD card. During playback, the image is in a very small box in the middle of the screen. Is there any way to enlarge the playback picture so that it fills the entire screen?

In the manual it mentions something about Normal size and 2X size, however I cannot find this setting to adjust it. When I press the Menu button during playback there appears to be an option for setting picture attributes, but it is greyed out and unselectable.

Check the following first:

1. Use "Extra Fine" for quality recording

2. Ensure tuner is set to digital channels

Try the following steps:

1. Press SD CARD button on remote

2. Select MPEG VIEW on screen

3. Press MENU button on remote

4. Select VIEWING SETUP on screen

5. Select FRAME SIZE on screen

Important: you must select "large" frame size BEFORE recording, only then the video will appear full screen during playback. You cannot enlarge a prerecorded video that used "normal" (small) frame size.

Enjoy :blink:

Can a SD card be used to record a TV program straight out of the box, or does it need to be formatted first?

Most SD cards are factory formatted with FAT16 file system (most cameras use FAT16) so you can use it straight out of the box. The TV can also format your card.

Also, if I get a SD card with a USB plug attached, can I copy say a TV program direct to my computer, and could I copy photos from my computer to the card so as to display them on the TV?

Yes, you can play the TV programme directly on your PC if you have an SD card reader. You can copy photos from your PC to the card and display them on TV.

When importing photos from PC, it's important to observe the notes on page 40 of the manual, especially regarding the folder structure.

The SD card feature is convenient, I use my TV as a digital photo frame when friends or family visit, they love it.

You can copy photos from your PC to the card and display them on TV.

Thanks for the info webmal.

Just to clarify, I presumed a card reader could only 'read' info already on a SD card. Can you confirm that if I connect a card reader to my computer via USB, I can not only read, but also write data from my computer to the card?

Just to clarify, I presumed a card reader could only 'read' info already on a SD card. Can you confirm that if I connect a card reader to my computer via USB, I can not only read, but also write data from my computer to the card?

Although it's commonly known as a 'card reader', it can read and write data on the SD card when the card reader is connected to your PC via USB.

Try the following steps:

Important: you must select "large" frame size BEFORE recording, only then the video will appear full screen during playback. You cannot enlarge a prerecorded video that used "normal" (small) frame size.

Enjoy :blink:

Thanks Webmal. That worked great. Is that in the manual anywhere?

On xmas eve:

Was offered 2500 ("a hot price") for the tx32lcd600a at the God Guys Bundaberg when buying a tv for my Dad. Sticker 2699. I asked if he could make things a little more attractive and the salesman told me if I returned with a price on a card he would beat it.

So we walked across the road to Hardly Normal where it was stickered 2350, decided I was sick of walking in the 35 degree heat and didn't return.

Have told my Dad not to worry about going to the God Guys Bundy again. If the original guy had been vaguely competitive (I walked in expecting to pay 2300 without any quibbling) it would of been the most rapid sale in history.....

The same guy told me that Panasonic's ax-100e projector was way out of date when I asked what he could provide it for, and that the current model was the ax-900. I didn't even bother to answer at this point. :blink:

vidiot, yeah that's my experience generally with the good guys, it's mostly all hype with them, I have never been able to get a good deal on anything with them.

I saw the 600a in Harvey Norman at Indooripilly today for $2399 with 5 year warranty included, that was reduced by a few hundred since pre-xmas. But I was offered $2200 at both Retravision and JB HiFi before xmas (without extended warranty). So I expect you won't have too much trouble getting it for around $2100-2200 now.

I took delivery of the 600a the Friday before xmas and have been watching it with out of the box settings since then, just to get a feel for it. At the moment I have it connected via s-video from my Topfield PVR through my Yamaha amp, so just watching SD TV mostly. With this fairly ordinary setup the PQ is sensational, that's all I need to say about it. I am extremely satisfied with the purchase, no dead or stuck pixels either. A lot of people complain about the blacks on LCD TVs, well each to their own I guess, but the blacks on this TV will do me.

If you are happy to go with LCD (every technology has pluses and minuses), then you will not be disappointed with this TV.

Dick Smith (DSE) is selling the TX-32LXD600A for $2200, nationwide delivery is only $20. I'm sure they'll do it for $2100 if you haggled in person.

I paid $2300 about 3 months ago. You won't have too much trouble getting it now for about $2100 if you show DSE's price to your local retailer :blink:

Its great that they are starting to come down in price. I'm hanging out to pay around $2000 plus the extended warranty. After looking at so many LCDs I still prefer the picture of this Panasonic over the Sony and the Samsung.

Can anybody tell me what the dead pixel policy is on this TV?

Its great that they are starting to come down in price. I'm hanging out to pay around $2000 plus the extended warranty. After looking at so many LCDs I still prefer the picture of this Panasonic over the Sony and the Samsung.

Can anybody tell me what the dead pixel policy is on this TV?

I'm not sure about the larger LCD's but for their smaller moniters it's about 3 to 5 pixels I think. On a slightly different slant I have just purchased a TX-26LXD600A and am guessing it comes with just the basic cables. Which cable connections should I go for to maximise the audio and video experience through my home theatre system?

Try the following steps:

Well, I just spent (wasted?) $69 on a SD card. Followed the instructions above, and recorded the cricket in "extra fine" mode.

When replaying on "normal" the picture fills only about a quarter of the screen and quality is poor (worse than VCR replay).

When replaying on "large" the picture fills the whole screen and the quality is terrible, unwatchable (eg. so blurry, I was unable the read cricket scores when displayed).

I love this TV, but unless I'm doing something wrong, recording to the SD card for all practical purposes is a useless gimmick!

Well, I just spent (wasted?) $69 on a SD card.

It may be a gimmick but for $50 more, I would have bought a real PVR (Wintal or Supernet 80GB) than a puny SD card :blink: