Th42pv500a

Is anyone experiencing a brightness issue on the 42PV500A? Basically what happens is that on particular scenes on DVDs either black bars on the top or sides or full screen, the brightness goes up and down. It's like someone is turning a brightness control up and down! We watched the dvd 'The Insideman' the other night and when it came to a scene with a bright window in a dark room, the brightness fluctuated where black suroundings lightened up a little. This is really hard to describe...it does it also on normal tv. Its driving us nuts. :blink:

Cheers

We did check into the auto contrast or C.A.T.S as it is called, awhile ago, but that only works when you select on the picture menu under menu 'auto' instead of cinema...standard...etc. believe me, we have gone over everything.

I intially opened up this post hoping I would get responses from others who have the same problem with this model plasma as we were fighting a battle with panasonic on the brightness issue but it has ended with them saying that a lot of plasmas have an internal contrast thing that adjusts the brightness according to what is on the screen....meaning that if there is a bright bit on the screen in the movie/tv, the plasma adjusts it....i guess its to do with 'burn in', but us dear mortals can't switch off this contrast/brightness thing. But what gets me is that panasonic gave us all these ridiculous reasons before hand of why it was doing it....they even replaced the plasma...with the same model but it has the same problem.... ugh! They didn't know what to do. Then suddenly..."ding" ' most plasmas do it' and then they wiped their hands of us. Its such a long long story, and you wouldn't believe the half of it. :blink:

I have been told by Panasonic that the 'brightness issue' we are having with both of the plasmas (the one that was replaced) is due to an inbuilt gamma control that enhances and controls light/brightness in the picture. This thing can't be disabled.

i've been searching this forum over and over and it seems that no one has or noticed plasmas doing this. Hasn't anyone noticed on their plasmas the brightness fluctuating on certain scenes? I'm not just talking about Panasonic plasmas....any plasma.

I have been told by Panasonic that the 'brightness issue' we are having with both of the plasmas (the one that was replaced) is due to an inbuilt gamma control that enhances and controls light/brightness in the picture. This thing can't be disabled.

i've been searching this forum over and over and it seems that no one has or noticed plasmas doing this. Hasn't anyone noticed on their plasmas the brightness fluctuating on certain scenes? I'm not just talking about Panasonic plasmas....any plasma.

Not on my 50a Pana. There was a big thread of a similiar problem with the Hitachi HD units.