Dtv For The Rest Of The N W Coast

My experience with these, (and I have no wish to discount the testing that has been done on your installation), is they generally warble up & down frequency, knocking out more than just one specific channel, as is happening in your case.

I take it the problem was not evident while the various tests were made.

I have also found it necessary, (sometimes at inconvenience to one's self) to attend on site at abnormal hours to actually catch the fault happening, as it may not be possible to ascertain from measurements alone the mechanism behind the fault.

Without knowing your existing distribution setup, ie what type of channel filtering/channel distribution map etc is in use, maybe your ABC problem can be overcome when Table Cape comes on line.

Appreciate the comments, he mentioned that they can move up and down frequency but also can lock on to one and stay there .. and your guess was correct the problem wasn't apparent when he was doing the tests ( maybe the offending property wasn't watching TV !!) The problem was there when the guys from RAS where checking our MATV system two days before but seems to be intermittant at the moent

I'm just going to have to put up with it until Table Cape comes online..

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In today's "The Advocate" on page 71 under the public notices section, are announcements of the commencement of test transmissions for TDT on channel AU36 (585.5MHz) and Southern Cross on channel AU40 (613.5MHz) for the Wynyard service area.

The date given for these to begin is next Wednesday, 24th February 2010.

There should be happy campers west of Burnie once this gets happening. :D

In today's "The Advocate" on page 71 under the public notices section, are announcements of the commencement of test transmissions for TDT on channel AU36 (585.5MHz) and Southern Cross on channel AU40 (613.5MHz) for the Wynyard service area.

The date given for these to begin is next Wednesday, 24th February 2010.

There should be happy campers west of Burnie once this gets happening. :D

My god things are slow down there, hasnt it been like 5 years since DTV started in Launceston and Hobart!?

Six and a bit, (December 2003 when TDT started).

Win and Southern X kicked off from Mt Wellington in June or July of 2001 for a week before the fire destroyed the transmitters. We had to then wait until November 2001 for the ABC and SBS to start their digital services. I think WIN and Southern X got their services back on air around March or April of 2002.

Personally, I don't know.

I have been told it is this site, it would appear the details have not been added yet.

I know there was some dispute over new rental fees for the old NTA sites resulting in the commercials setting up their own site on Roundhill. Lets hope it has all been settled because it was only adding to the delay rolling out digital services along the coast.

• 3 months later...
Somewhat confused:

I've been absent for a while.

I came back to look for some posts I made about Table Cape around March of this year - and the last post in this sub-topic is for Feb 2010.

Was there some sort of barney that resulted in stuff being deleted?

No. I've been watching the forum regularly and nothings been added since then. It appears everyone is happy with the connection of commercial digital the Wynyard region. I would be happier if Smithton was able to receive commercial digital stations. It's possible after reading some previous post that i may be able to receive from Mt Barrow as i am on Massey Street but luckily i am one of the first to be able to connect my home and business to the NBN. At this stage it appears it's not all that was promised but i guess we've come to expect that from Kevin. If anyone has any news on the Smithton connection of commercial digital i'd love to hear it

SC10??? You sure you are in Tasmania?

Yes mate, tivo has found it. I should have also said the signal is coming off Mt Barrow. My TV doesn't pick it up but tivo does... Also picks up a second Channel 5, SC10 - again no picture.

It only appeared on tivo last week, got a message in the settings saying 2 new channels found or some similar wording. I just thought it was strange & wondered if anyone else has found the same thing.

Yes mate, tivo has found it. I should have also said the signal is coming off Mt Barrow. My TV doesn't pick it up but tivo does... Also picks up a second Channel 5, SC10 - again no picture.

It only appeared on tivo last week, got a message in the settings saying 2 new channels found or some similar wording. I just thought it was strange & wondered if anyone else has found the same thing.

It sounds like some 'Tropospheric Ducting'* may have occurred over the past week which resulted in an SC10 transmission from the mainland being temporarily picked up by your hardware and subsequently saved into memory.

*Tropospheric ducting is an atmospheric phenomenon that occasionally occurs that can allow reception of television and radio signals well beyond their normal coverage area. It has been known to result in problematic interference in some areas at times, such as between Knights Hill and Mt. Sugarloaf in NSW when the channels being received via long-distance 'ducting' when it occurs are on the same frequencies as the local ones, generally resulting in a garbled undecodable mess at the receiver.

Cheers,

ChaosMaster.