Lg 76cm Super Slim Crt Tv With Inbuilt Hd Tuner - 32fs4d

i read somewhere in the xbox360 thread that many crt's can't display at 720 or 1080 at 60hz, which is what the 360 needs? will this LG be able to do so? basically i just want to know that if i get this tv on the weekend, im not going to have any problems with my xbox and that it will look awesome. i understand component cables is the way to gom but everything will work fine with the setup im looking at? sorry guys, i really am a n00b when it comes to this stuff

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Guys catalogue just arrived, they are featuring this TV for *** $999 *** - less for cash which should bring it down to about 950 knowing GG. Was going to buy a LCD with a SD stb for the bedroom but at this price I am verrrrry tempted, despite the probable bulk of the unit. HD tuner as well, should give equal or better picture than plasma or LCD 768 panel? Assume it's 100 hz refresh for no flicker.

i know im being a pain in the ass... BUT do you reckon i should get the one with or without the HD tuner?? i have never put this much thought into anything i have bought before!! The lip-sync issues people were having were occurring a while ago now, do you think if i was to buy a tv now they would have the issue resolved or is it probable i would still need to get someone out to upgrade the firmware?

also, which Good Guys had the tv for $999? and does anyone know if JB price match?

Hi again,

I've taken the plunge and ordered my LG 32fs4d (for the sake of my husband who will only learn to use one remote) from GG at Mt Gravatt.

WoW! weren't interested in me on my second visit. The salesman at GG has had this model since September with NO issues! Even uses one of those $130 indoor aerials for digital TV. No lip-sync probs, and certainly the one on display in that store didn't have the problem either.

Also they reckon that LG does in house service calls due to the weight of the unit. I'll let you know how I go. Rather excited i must say!! Thanks for all the feedback and advice. :blink: for the moment!!

Dotty - are yo ustill happy with your TV?

Had any problems with it?

Had my old 32fs4d replaced and again it played up. Its all surge protected and everything but 5 weeks into it she went again. So walked into HN and got them to replace it with my new 42" Panasonic Plasma (TH42PA60A). Very happy with the pana. Took 3Hrs to do it but it was all worth it.

i know im being a pain in the ass... BUT do you reckon i should get the one with or without the HD tuner?? i have never put this much thought into anything i have bought before!! The lip-sync issues people were having were occurring a while ago now, do you think if i was to buy a tv now they would have the issue resolved or is it probable i would still need to get someone out to upgrade the firmware?

also, which Good Guys had the tv for $999? and does anyone know if JB price match?

When the without tuner one is only $900 I'd be getting it, and if you run into lip sync issues just buy an external set top box. Like the LG HD Tuner that my Clive Peeters have on sale for $150.

just thought i'd give you all an update. I went to my local JB last nite to see the LG in action, and to tell you the truth i was not impressed at all. I'm sure the display settings needed to be fine tuned, but the picture was terrible. i was ready to leave when i bumped into a long lost mate that was working there, and he said he'd look after me with what ever i bought, so...

i ended up getting a 32" HD Hitachi LCD which is amazing! the tag price was $1899 but he did it for $1150 with an extended 5 year warranty and a SD stb so i walked away a very happy man. And the xbox looks absolutely amazing. thanks for all your help guys though, sorry im so damn indecisive!

Just the Brisbane catalogue, I have 2 ggs within half an hour, at Morayfield and Carseldine. Don't know if it's Australia wide.

Looked up a Victorian Catalogue online and no LG so maybe just clearance in Bris?

just thought i'd give you all an update. I went to my local JB last nite to see the LG in action, and to tell you the truth i was not impressed at all. I'm sure the display settings needed to be fine tuned, but the picture was terrible.

I'm sorry that the tv you saw wasn't tuned in properly, 'cos if it was and you compared it to the picture of the lcd you bought - there is simply no comparison. The picture detail is outstanding. Unfortunately, even with the updated technology the simple truth is that plasmas and lcd pictures are second rate compared to a great crt box. Ask any techie buff and if they tell you anything different from what I've just expressed - they're lying or they just trying to sell you their product.

I've had the 32fs4d for about a month. Unfortunately, the place where I'd bought had a bad batch and didn't want to risk going back for the 4th time. I'm greatly dissapointed because the TV (32fs4d) has so many great features and the crisp picture topped it off.

I'm going to stick to my old box for now until (if it does) the new Samsung

http://www.samsung.com/common/microsite/ex...s2007_ce08.html hits our shores. Hopefully they've fixed all the bugs from its last line of CRT's, if not I'll be going back to the 32fs4d without doubt. Beautiful looking sets though especially the T3092WH.

Edited by lg_not_sure

Hi all,

I have had a 32fs4d for about 5 weeks now and have had the firmware upgrade to 3.02 for the lipsync problem but problem still persisted. Since then we bought a 250G Pvr so no problems with the audio anymore as long as we watch through the Pvr Tuner. Last night I dedided to investigate the Lipsync prob. everyone seems to have trouble with and I am confident I have fixed it on mine at least. Firstly make sure after the upgrade you retune all the stations, this wont fix it but I think it is necessary anyway.

Then go into the audio menu and turn off the SRS trusurround XT feature. This can be found in the user defined settings of audio. If this doesn't fix it straight away give it a retune and try again. As I said this worked straight away for me and I can't see any more of the "spaghetti western" effect which has been driving us crazy on most digital stations. Hope this works for you too.

Well after almost 6 months my 32fs4d finally died ... well, almost died. It's decided that it really wants to be a 4:3 tv and is squashing the picture accordingly. It's also gained some very pretty blue lines, and a great new feature ... whenever the picture goes very dark, it fades to bright blue. The darker the picture the brighter the blue. Very trippy ... if only I hadn't ignored that peer pressure to take drugs ... ah well, you live and learn :blink:

Anyway, the service mob collected the tv yesterday (for the 4th time) and on the advice from the guy from the LG complaints line I told them that I didn't really want it fixed and that they should put in a Change of Item Request. The service guy just nodded and didn't really say much, so it's anyone's guess what will actually happen...

Guest dotty
Dotty - are yo ustill happy with your TV?

Had any problems with it?

Hi,

Thanks for asking! I hadn't checked the forum for a while, but just did and found my last post was mentioned.

Well, I love the TV to bits, but am also not happy with some things. PQ is wonderful, sound is good, but of course, they don't always match up :blink: !

I had a tech guy (LG recommended) out to do an upgrade, but his equipment and update were way out of date. Forgotten which firmware version I have. In any case mine was ahead of the techo's!!!

He did give me a good tip, when it can be used. Some channels have an mpeg/dolby digital choice, operated by the l/ll button on the remote. To bring it up on screen, press button and release. To change mode, press the button and hold until it changes.

I've also had spontaneous shut down a few times. I'm supposed to call them again, but it hasn't driven me crazy enough yet.

I've just switched off the surround and done a re-tune as recommended, will see how it goes, seems better already.

Gee I'm sorry for Shogun III, what a run of bad luck.

cheers,

Dotty

My new 32FSANB has been going magnificently. No sign of the issues I had with my returned set and I'll be picking up an LG HD STB (the 6100P) for about $250 in a couple of days.

Incidentally I popped into my local Clive Peeters for a browse and lo and behold a 32FSANB was sitting on the shelf with a sign "Clearance! Last one left $899" - They've put the TV that I returned faulty back on the shelf because the half wits at my local repair centre who do warranty claims decided there was nothing wrong with it. I really feel sorry for the poor schmo that buys that TV.

I don't wanna use the in built digital tuner (I'll keep watching DTV though my topfield), I just want a CRT that will do 720p/1080i for my Xbox360. Does this TV actually display 720p/1080i or does it simply accept them and downscale to 576p etc.

Thanks all :blink: .

Jezza,

I emailed LG Customer Service re: whether the inbuilt HD tuner in 32FS4D was genuine HD and this was their reply:

"Thankyou for emailing LG Electronics Australia. This TV does have a true HD tuner that receives HD broadcasts however the screen itself has a resolution of 852x576 which is SD so the picture is displayed at a maximum resolution of 576p. I hope this has been of some assistance. Thank you for emailing LG Electronics Australia."

This makes me think that I've bought a HD TV that can only display SD.

Jezza,

I emailed LG Customer Service re: whether the inbuilt HD tuner in 32FS4D was genuine HD and this was their reply:

"Thankyou for emailing LG Electronics Australia. This TV does have a true HD tuner that receives HD broadcasts however the screen itself has a resolution of 852x576 which is SD so the picture is displayed at a maximum resolution of 576p. I hope this has been of some assistance. Thank you for emailing LG Electronics Australia."

This makes me think that I've bought a HD TV that can only display SD.

Just look at the picture quality and you will see it beats 80% of the TV's out there. I've compared this tv to some same priced LCD's and the lcd's don't even compare to the quality of the LG TV. I've had it for 5 months now and not had any problems. The sound issues and picture problems are to do with your arial. Any HD Set top box on any other tv will do the same if you have bad reception. Get a Mr Antenna guy to come out and fix your arial and you will see that everything works fine. This TV is a perfect alternative to people that can't afford a good quality Plasma TV. If you can afford a plasma tv, i would reccomend buying a plasma for it size and slightly better picture quality.

Guest dotty

Hey Guys,

have you been following the story in the SMH the last few days? it concerns the 32fs4d as well as many other LG models.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/home-theatre/ca...4153126015.html

you need to register for a software upgrade. Also on the helpline there are instructions to re-set the unit after the channel nine failure on sunday night.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/home-theatre/case-of-lg-tv-freeze-cracked/2007/03/21/1174153126015.html

hope this helps!!

New this so bear with me...

I've registered for the 'freeze' fix and asked LG to get their tech guys to also do the firmware update to fix the lip sync problem, that's been mentioned several times on this forum, at the same time. LG said to mention it when the service people phone to arrange the date and time. My question is, do you know what the latest firmware version is that fixes the lip sync problem? Several previous posts have said that the firmware version that the techos brought out to them was actually an earlier version than they already had on their TVs. So, what's the "correct"version?

• 2 weeks later...
How long does it take for LG to contact you after you register?

Thanks, Paul.

Well thats a good question! I registered a week ago and haven't heard anything yet. Luckily I haven't had the freeze problem and the lips sync issue is mostly resolved if I stick to SD channels. Anyway no picture difference on HD although sound is better on HD. If you are having continuing problems I would contact them by phone.

cheers

Gary

Well thats a good question! I registered a week ago and haven't heard anything yet. Luckily I haven't had the freeze problem and the lips sync issue is mostly resolved if I stick to SD channels. Anyway no picture difference on HD although sound is better on HD. If you are having continuing problems I would contact them by phone.

cheers

Gary

Any reply yet?

I am on the verge of buying one of these sets from GGs for $899. PQ does look impressive but HD ABC/SBS definately have sync issues (shop guys act surprised when I show em (yea right)). If it can be fixed, it will sway me away from the Samsung that has HDMI and 2 RGB inputs (as that set has geometry issues in SD 4:3 mode but GGs currently has for $799).

So please, let me know if this fix works,

Cheers.

although there are some lip synch issues mainly with HD channels - I would still recommend this TV. Seems to be all ok if you stick to SD channels.

cheers

Any reply yet?

I am on the verge of buying one of these sets from GGs for $899. PQ does look impressive but HD ABC/SBS definately have sync issues (shop guys act surprised when I show em (yea right)). If it can be fixed, it will sway me away from the Samsung that has HDMI and 2 RGB inputs (as that set has geometry issues in SD 4:3 mode but GGs currently has for $799).

So please, let me know if this fix works,

Cheers.